View Full Version : Guitar Hero-Van Halen

evh5150
09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
the game is coming out this december and ive already seen ads that you can get the game for free with purchase of GH5 which kinda made me raise an eyebrow in curiousity at that puzzling offer.

http://vanhalen.guitarhero.com/

come to find out, GHVH will comprise 25 songs off of the first 6 VH albums (the Roth era) along with some other songs from an assortment of other bands (apparently as filler content due to surprising low offering of VH material.

Another shocker is that former bassist Michael Anthony is not featured in the game as one of the CG rendered band members, which I find to be a deep disrespect to him since he was the one initially who played the basslines for all the songs being featured.

Im guessing the exclusion of Hagar & Anthony has more to due with royalties and contracts than anything else. Its sad cause theres a lot of missed talent on the 4 Hagar era albums that is simply being wasted.

Ill probably end up getting the game just cause im a total vh addict, but i feel it could have been soooo much better.

Martin
09-25-2009, 06:07 AM
dangit... now i get what your username means. i shoulda figured that one out a long time ago.

-M

mireaux
09-25-2009, 06:32 AM
cant wait for this game to come out

Lord Helmet
09-28-2009, 10:34 AM
It sounds like a pretty standard GH game. Similar to the Aerosmith one. These games never have just one band on them. Thankfully this one only has Roth era VH. That Sammy Hagar crap isn't welcome in my house :)

Matt
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
This game is gonna suck balls.

fuzzytoad
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
This game is gonna suck balls.

How so?

Matt
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
That they're giving it away for free should be all you need to know about how good it's gonna be. Granted, that was just a cheap attempt to get people to buy GH5 instead of The Beatles: Rock Band this month, but still.

There are other reasons, though: Troubled development history (it was announced earlier this year and was originally supposed to come out around July/August); they're dumping it out there three days before Christmas (never a good sign); no Michael Anthony; adding in Wolfgang Van Halen; no Hagar-era stuff (hey, I prefer Dave to Sammy, too, but Sammy was a huge part of the VH legacy and it's stupid that they're ignoring that); only 25 VH songs; the 20-or-so other songs from the other bands don't really have anything to do with VH; and all the songs are limited to this disc and won't be exportable into any of the other GH games.

Plus, it's the 183rd Guitar Hero game this year.

I'm a total Rock Band fanboy, though, so keep that in mind. It's just that I've spent the last three weeks playing the Beatles game, which was so well-done that it's hard to compare the two games and not look at the Van Halen game as anything more than another cheap cash-grab by Activision.

fuzzytoad
09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
That they're giving it away for free should be all you need to know about how good it's gonna be. Granted, that was just a cheap attempt to get people to buy GH5 instead of The Beatles: Rock Band this month, but still.

There are other reasons, though: Troubled development history (it was announced earlier this year and was originally supposed to come out around July/August); they're dumping it out there three days before Christmas (never a good sign); no Michael Anthony; adding in Wolfgang Van Halen; no Hagar-era stuff (hey, I prefer Dave to Sammy, too, but Sammy was a huge part of the VH legacy and it's stupid that they're ignoring that); only 25 VH songs; the 20-or-so other songs from the other bands don't really have anything to do with VH; and all the songs are limited to this disc and won't be exportable into any of the other GH games.

Plus, it's the 183rd Guitar Hero game this year.

I'm a total Rock Band fanboy, though, so keep that in mind. It's just that I've spent the last three weeks playing the Beatles game, which was so well-done that it's hard to compare the two games and not look at the Van Halen game as anything more than another cheap cash-grab by Activision.

K.. can respect your opinion...

Personally, I'm getting it for the whole Eddie/Valerie/David love triangle plot and on-stage fight thing they're including..

Matt
09-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Personally, I'm getting it for the whole Eddie/Valerie/David love triangle plot and on-stage fight thing they're including..

Then you are gonna love Guitar Hero: The Mamas & The Papas, coming to your favorite game console, Spring 2010.

Matt
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
The freebie games have been showing up for people over the last couple of days. No case, no instructions, just a sleeve.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hiateh.jpg

Here's a quick impression from someone who already played through most of it:

Guitar Hero: Van Halen feels like a couple of guys got their hands on Frets on Fire for the first time and went on cram session to pump this game out in one weekend.

Shocking.

I'm sending out for my copy today. Really. http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8229/sadpk6.gif

Matt
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm sending out for my copy today. Really. http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8229/sadpk6.gif

I received my copy the other day, and it is every bit as sh!t as I suspected it would be.

However, it is nice to finally be able to play "Panama" in one of these guitar games.

decepticobra
11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I received my copy the other day, and it is every bit as sh!t as I suspected it would be.

However, it is nice to finally be able to play "Panama" in one of these guitar games.

yeeeaah...but they left out so many other great songs:..... poundcake, dirty movies, one foot out the door, in n' out, me wise magic, humans being, drop dead legs....

decepticobra
11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Then you are gonna love Guitar Hero: The Mamas & The Papas, coming to your favorite game console, Spring 2010.

nawww....im saving my cash for "Guitar Hero: Sesame Street Live" & "The Muppets Rock Band"

Matt
11-18-2009, 02:37 PM
yeeeaah...but they left out so many other great songs:..... poundcake, dirty movies, one foot out the door, in n' out, me wise magic, humans being, drop dead legs....

Yep.

nawww....im saving my cash for "Guitar Hero: Sesame Street Live" & "The Muppets Rock Band"

Guitar Hero: The Muppets and The Puppets, huh? Sounds good to me. Actually, in all honesty, I'd be totally in for a Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem track pack in Rock Band. Can you picture that?