View Full Version : What's This?

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I spent a great afternoon yesterday with a very nice lady who showed me around this neat place. Both Steve and I are exploring this, but, for now, I ask you, what's this place?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/housealbum_frame_1024.jpg

The winner gets to buy me a hot dog at the next southsiders meeting! :tiphat:

When is that, by the way? This Saturday or the next?

ddavidson8
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Aerospace Museum?

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Nope. Good guess, though.

papaOU
09-24-2009, 09:35 PM
The meeting is saturday.

I'll guess TAFB.......

Is the photo on photobucket?

LeethalDose
09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
hmmm... a building at Tinker, probably open to lotsa public scrutiny - the officer's club or the Tinker Aerospace Complex, sometimes called TAC or Building 9001?

papaOU
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
hmmm... a building at Tinker, probably open to lotsa public scrutiny - the officer's club or the Tinker Aerospace Complex, sometimes called TAC or Building 9001?

I was thinking more like the "main entrance" of 3001.

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
The meeting is saturday.

I'll guess TAFB.......

Is the photo on photobucket?
Nope, not Tinker AFB.

Yes, the image is in photobucket but I've intentionally not given it a name useful to identification, just yet. But you can right-click on the image to see its properties, including file location, which is in my "misc" album ... ha ha!

The building is not located at Tinker.

papaOU
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
My dad worked at Tinker (Now known as the Oklahoma Air Logistic Center) for 35 years and was in the AFRES for 30 of those years.

Would like to get a quality "print" as a gift. Maybe a Christmas gift.............

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
When this little guessing game is over, I'll be glad to send you a hi-res of the image and you can take it to Kinkos (etc.) and get a good print made.

LeethalDose
09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I was thinking more like the "main entrance" of 3001.

sorry - i didn't see your generic TAFB guess 'til after i posted my wrong 'un - guess Doug won't get to eat either of our dogs - pass the mustard would ya?

Doug Loudenback
09-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Signing out now ... will probably wake in 2-3 hours and I'll see if anyone's got it. You guys don't want me to give you a chump tip, do ya?

Prunepicker
09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Is it at the 45th museum? I know, I know... the 45th isn't Air Force but it
could be there for hysterical purposes. But at one time the it was part of
the Army Signal Corps and called Douglas Field.

Okay, I'm not even close.

gen70
09-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Is it at the 45th museum? I know, I know... the 45th isn't Air Force but it
could be there for hysterical purposes. But at one time the it was part of
the Army Signal Corps and called Douglas Field.

Okay, I'm not even close.

I was thinking that too.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 02:24 AM
The answer is .... none of the above.

kevinpate
09-25-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't know where it is, but I like it, even if it does make me a wee bit sad.
Sonny-in-law is USAF in Europe. A fine lad.

I'm ready for them to be back on this side of the pond though.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 05:12 AM
I don't know where it is, but I like it, even if it does make me a wee bit sad.
Sonny-in-law is USAF in Europe. A fine lad.

I'm ready for them to be back on this side of the pond though.
Me, too.

When someone is ready for a hint, say so and I'll give one.

Martin
09-25-2009, 05:52 AM
i was trying to snoop out an answer on tinker's website... wanted to see how out of date the the 'latest' commander was on the display... but i stumbled onto this on tinker's site and thought it was pretty cool.

Tinker cemetery?s land-rush legacy (http://www.tinker.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123169455)
it's basically about a defunct town (the article itself is light on details) that tinker now sits atop and the base has a standing agreement to maintain its cemetery. the article seems to hint that's where 'boone township' got its name.

/sorry for the derail... i'm currently stumped. judging by the ceiling, i'd say that the structure is pretty old... possibly an old barracks that's been moved somewhere.

-M

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Interesting find, Martin. No, it's not an old barracks that's been moved somewhere.

kmf563
09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Oklahoma History museum? Midwest City Library, city hall, or commerce?

Airport?

Western Heritage Museum?

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
kmf, it's sing-along time ... "Oh, it's one, two, three, four, five, six strikes you're out at the old ... ball ... game."

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
OK, OK. No one asked for clues but at this rate unless I give one this will never end (at least, not by the completion of MAPS 3). So here's a clue ... another graphic ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/mysterypic1.jpg

Does the barbecue help?

With this clue, the prize just went up ... now, the winner gets to buy me 2 (count 'em) 2 dogs at tomorrow's southside meeting. No cheese, please.

papaOU
09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
i was trying to snoop out an answer on tinker's website... wanted to see how out of date the the 'latest' commander was on the display... but i stumbled onto this on tinker's site and thought it was pretty cool.

Tinker cemetery?s land-rush legacy (http://www.tinker.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123169455)
it's basically about a defunct town (the article itself is light on details) that tinker now sits atop and the base has a standing agreement to maintain its cemetery. the article seems to hint that's where 'boone township' got its name.

/sorry for the derail... i'm currently stumped. judging by the ceiling, i'd say that the structure is pretty old... possibly an old barracks that's been moved somewhere.

-M

The cemetery is located just inside the Air Depot Gate and to the West. When we were kids we always thought these were people who had died in plane crashes.

ooppssss. The above was written before I looked at the web page.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
No more takers? Do you want me to just tell you the answer? I'll wait about an hour and will then respond as indicated.

ddavidson8
09-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't think anyone wants to buy you a hot dog.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't think anyone wants to buy you a hot dog.
:omg: How can that be? :omg:

Ok OK! I'll give one more clue and if that isn't enough ... well ... I'll tell you southsiders the answer tomorrow at Coits. The rest can just eat **** and die. :ohno:

One of the guys in this pic is also in the immediately prior tip pic ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/mysterypic2.jpg

NOW IS THIS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU TO FIGURE THIS OUT?

The prize for a correct answer is now up to 3 dogs. No cheese. Lots of onions, mustard, chili. Throw in some tots, please.

Another mucho grande hint: The building is located in Midwest City.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I've talked myself into having dogs & tots for supper since I ain't apparently going to get any freebies tomorrow ... going to Homeland NOW ... think I'll get some Johnstones or whatever that name is ... good 'ens ... going to cook 'em on the barbee ... will not bring any with me tomorrow ...

USG '60
09-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, I've talked myself into having dogs & tots for supper since I ain't apparently going to get any freebies tomorrow ... going to Homeland NOW ... think I'll get some Johnstones or whatever that name is ... good 'ens ... going to cook 'em on the barbee ... will not bring any with me tomorrow ...You have become a BEAST, Doug. You are out of control. Calm down, help is on the way.

:LolLolLol

Karried
09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I think this is great! Don't tell anyone Doug...let them guess!

usmbubba
09-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Is it the Atkinsons on Midwest Blvd?

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Is it the Atkinsons on Midwest Blvd?
:bow::bow::bow:
Hoo-ahhh! You get to buy me 3 dogs at the southsiders meeting tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 p.m.! Strictly speaking, it is called the Atkinson Heritage Center and it was the home of W.P. Bill Atkinson. He built the home located at 1001 N. Midwest Blvd. in 1955 and lived there until his death in 1999.

The property is now owned by the Rose State College Foundation. I'll say a little more about it later this evening but Steve is writing a major article about it and Carolyn Cuskey who is the Coordinator & History Professor takes care of the place is, also, particularly about the home, and her article will appear in both my and Steve's history blogs.

Congratulations, usmbubba ... how do you pronounce your name, by the way?

MikeOKC
09-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Good old Bill Atkinson. I hope Steve gives him due credit for The Oklahoma Journal.

That was fun, Doug! You are a treasure trove of info!

usmbubba
09-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Though I've delivered the mail there before, I've never been inside. The last hint you gave was enough, when I saw them looking over the map of MWC, I knew it had to be it.

BTW USM (University of Southern Mississippi- where I graduated from) Bubba ( my callsign in the USAF)

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Bubba & Mike, yeah, it was fun for me to take the tour earlier this week. Truth is, I barely knew the place existed until a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure that Steve's article will heavily explore the Oklahoma Journal, how it came to be, Atkinson's feud with Gaylord, etc. I'm very much looking forward to reading it. And, as I said, Carolyn Cuskey will be putting together an article which will be published in both Steve's and my blog, hopefully within a month or so.

For now, I've scanned a couple of brochure items for your instant gratification, below:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/brochure_1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/brochure_2.jpg

The original house, which Carolyn called a "cabin," is on the north end and that's where the cool wall showing the airplanes & Tinker commanders, etc., is located. It is on the south end of a large room where Tinker and local government officials, business leaders, too, I guess, were hosted. Here's another view ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/atkinson_2009_09_23_interior06.jpg

The north end of the same room contains a large fireplace with a bbq smoker at the right side. Above the mantle are several photos telling a bit about Mr. Atkinson's history, including the pair I showed already.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/atkinson_2009_09_23_interior01.jpg

Tours are free but are done by appointment. Call 732-5832 for that. I heartily recommend it ... I was there for about 2 hours.

Other facilities include the next door "Pony Barn" which eventually became a museum itself, the Eastern Oklahoma County Regional History Center. The main part is a long hall with cubicles or whatever they are called flanking the hall. The hall itself contains lots of picnic tables, as does each of the several cubicle areas (I'm sure there's a better word, I just don't know it).

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/atkinson_2009_09_23_ponybarn02.jpg

Its areas can be rented for events ... a bridge club was meeting in the main room, a separate room at the north, end while I was there.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/midwestcity/atkinson_2009_09_23_ponybarn09.jpg

MikeOKC
09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
VERY interesting! Thanks for scanning the brochure and the pics gave me a feel for the place. You're great, Doug. Seriously. Go ahead and blush!