View Full Version : City Ordinance Question--Busking

kd5ili
09-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I was curious if anybody know the city ordinences relating to Busking (street performing) in Oklahoma City? These folks liven up many of the cities around the nation, and I have noticed that you never see them here in the Metro area. It would be nice to see some street performers around, especially in Bricktown.

Joe Kimball
09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Someone better informed than I (either intrinsically or on the fly with Google, etc.) will know as to regulations, but buskers are certainly out and about in Bricktown; at least two that I notice regularly. One is primarily a guitarist, and the other plays a variety of diverse stringed instruments. If I recall, they're mainly out on the weekends or during events, when people are, in turn, out and about enough to make it worthwhile.

Bigrayok
09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
There are quite a few street performers in Bricktown on the weekends. There is a blues performer that plays in front of the Harkins Theater on the bridge over the canal. In the same general area by the fountains guitar palyers and drummers can be found at different times. There is a fire eater that performs in between Mickey Mantles and the river cruise booth. The previously mentioned guitar guy plays in front of Spaghetti Warehouse on weekends. He also plays the sitar at Hudson and Sheridan during the Festival of the Arts. The human statue guy that dresses like a cowboy is in front of the fountains occasionally. Street performers have to get a permit from the city that costs somewhere around $55 I think. I am not sure of the exact amount. I go to New Orleans regularly and love the street performers there.

Bigray in Ok

metro
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
You must not get out much, I see plenty of them. Now we definitely could use a lot more, and I suspect we'll see more musicians out with the Contemporary Music Academy in Bricktown now. Another "busker" not mentioned is the "statue" guy that is often around, especially for all the large events.