View Full Version : OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

OUman
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
^It won't, airport websites do not have music lol. Appatrently this is the same company that made the posters "Pardon Our Dust" and other ones during the terminal expansion. Should be interesting to see what they come up with. For one thing, I would like to see the site updated regularly. Airlines that do not serve the airport now should be taken off the airport terminal map and some other stuff needs to be updated. Maybe have a map that shows the nonstops from OKC.

SkyWestOKC
08-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I think we'll see lots of improvement in the website. This company is local and will want to do a good job.

Luke
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Frontier had seasonal OKC/TPA nonstops for a few months (April, May, June... or so)... any word on whether or not those will be brought back for winter? Or anytime?

What about any nonstops from OKC to anywhere MCO?

Also, Allegiant keeps adding airports... any chance OKC can get on that list?

SkyWestOKC
09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
So far I'd rate the Frontier TPA n/s returning as a 5%. Frontier MCO as a 15%.

Allegiant does Heavy MRO work with AAR at OKC. I don't see any reason OKC wouldn't get service, but the Allegiant trend as of late has been towns. (10-15k people).

Luke
09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
So far I'd rate the Frontier TPA n/s returning as a 5%. Frontier MCO as a 15%.

Allegiant does Heavy MRO work with AAR at OKC. I don't see any reason OKC wouldn't get service, but the Allegiant trend as of late has been towns. (10-15k people).

Look at Allegiant's route map, they have a huge gap in Oklahoma and Texas. Here's hopin' for Tulsa, Lawton or Enid or something...

OUman
09-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Allegiant is a niche airline. It essentially connects underserved markets with enough demand to popular tourist/business destinations, which is why you'll see its hubs are located at airports like LAX, LAS and MCO. Additionally, like Skywest said, Allegiant's focus these days is on small cities and towns with population generally less than 50,000, and where there are mainly a handful of small commuter jets/props from feeder lines. The airline does not like to fly when demand does not justify it; thus there are many cities with just twice or thrice-weekly service. Also, many of its markets, especially ones in the northern states get seasonal service only in the winter months when people want to escape the winter for some time and head to warmer destinations-Orlando, Phoenix, Las Vegas sound familiar? The airline will serve large cities when it definitely sees enough demand to make a profit, since it is operating old MD 80s which require more fuel. Basically, Allegiant will not go where the money is not there. It's philosophy is very different than that of other carriers, and it has a very strict leeway on allowing loss-making routes to continue.

ljbab728
09-02-2010, 11:03 PM
People may forget that Allegiant did fly into OKC a few years ago but pulled out. I think they were here less than a year. I seem to remember statements made that they were here to stay when they started.

SkyWestOKC
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Would like to add that our Delta mainline has been extended to 28FEB2011 in the schedule (end of schedule).

On a slightly related note, Omaha-Orlando on Frontier was given the "all clear" to recontinue this winter/spring. Also, they announced Omaha-San Diego, CA Los Angeles, and St. Petersburg, FL (moving the Tampa flight to St. Petersburg).

We will know for sure within a few weeks if this was the nail in the coffin for OKC-Orlando. The OKC-Florida routes were announced two weeks before the Omaha-Florida mirror routes were announced. So using the same logic, if OKC doesn't get a similar announcement or even a "continue" for the Orlando service. We can go ahead and say it is done for. My fingers are still crossed but I am thinking it won't return.

HOT ROD
09-03-2010, 12:36 AM
who is "they"?

SkyWestOKC
09-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Frontier, I mentioned that in my post.

cjohnson.405
09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Just my opinion but - Passenger numbers and service won't improve until there are more traveling business passengers. It's kind of funny listening to the Delta/American gate agents start the passenger load by calling out Priority and Platinum passengers and no one walks up. In cities with a healthy business environment, 1/5 of the plane is filled with these frequent travelers.

And this state is so business poor that it will take a stunning attitude and knowledge turnaround from our mayor and governor's office to change anything. Frankly, they just don't get what it takes to make the turnaround.

bluedogok
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
It depends on the time of day/week, I know the old TWA 5:50am flight to St. Louis on Monday mornings was about half full of fellow employees headed elsewhere. As much business as we have based here in Austin I haven't seen that many frequent flyers but then I am not traveling on Monday mornings much anymore nor am I on the "nerd bird" flights to San Jose. The only places that I see a bunch of them are at the major hubs like DFW.

ljbab728
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Just my opinion but - Passenger numbers and service won't improve until there are more traveling business passengers. It's kind of funny listening to the Delta/American gate agents start the passenger load by calling out Priority and Platinum passengers and no one walks up. In cities with a healthy business environment, 1/5 of the plane is filled with these frequent travelers.

And this state is so business poor that it will take a stunning attitude and knowledge turnaround from our mayor and governor's office to change anything. Frankly, they just don't get what it takes to make the turnaround.

I don't want to change this into a politcal thread and I know our leaders aren't perfect but I keep hearing about how our state and city are faring much better than most of the rest of the nation right now so we evidently aren't doing everything wrong.

HOT ROD
09-08-2010, 02:31 AM

it's the same case here in Seattle - on several flights I have taken recently. I had no trouble getting my complementary first class upgrades on United - nobody had paid for those seats.

I also hear that airlines are removing first class options more and more - so it isn't just an OKC thing. ... Jeez, some of you people really need to get out.

LakeEffect
09-08-2010, 07:30 AM
it's the same case here in Seattle - on several flights I have taken recently. I had no trouble getting my complementary first class upgrades on United - nobody had paid for those seats.

I also hear that airlines are removing first class options more and more - so it isn't just an OKC thing. ... Jeez, some of you people really need to get out.

Actually, I heard the opposite recently. Delta is adding first class to nearly all of its regional jets, and many airlines are actually seeking to retire RJs and return to mainline jets. I think I read this on an ATA (Air Transport Association) Smart Brief email. But I do agree that it's not an OKC thing. Business travel took a huge hit in the recession, and is just now coming back.

OKCTalker
09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
On the subject of the on-airport shuttle service, number me among the "greatly dissatisfied" customers. We arrived last night at 11:30 p.m., presented the driver with our slip indicating the location of our car (lot number, shelter number and row). He dropped the entire shuttle-load of passengers (10 +/-) at one spot in the NE lot. Although it was late, dark, and I was a little disoriented, I knew that 1) we were in the wrong lot; and 2) it was statistically impossible for a dozen passengers to have parked on the same row. I protested, he waved the slip of paper at me, and then drove off. We boarded the next shuttle bus, but by this time we were seething, lost, with no paper identifying where any of us had parked. Over the radio, the other driver said he was going home, and mentioned something about "rats abandoning a sinking ship." Classy. Very classy.

If WRWA is going to offer this service -either internally or through contract - they need to monitor it better. Now for my email to Karen Carney.

Richard at Remax
09-08-2010, 08:25 AM
about 3/4 times I use the shuttle it is not a pleasant experience. the last time on my way out I ran to another pick up spot away from my car so I could catch the shuttle before it left the lot. on my way to my car afew days later I told him to stop at the shelter right by my car but argued with me that it wasnt the right one and pointed to the slip. so I had to walk, in the rain, way back to my car. but the worst is when you lose your slip. even when you tell them exactly what lot and row you are on and they act all put out and rude. There is a young driver who is real nice and legit but the older ones are the bad ones.

Lauri101
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I gotta' chime in here for a bit of counterpoint. I travel at least one week a month and always use the on-airport shuttle. The drivers get paid diddly and rely on tips. I have been on the shuttle to lot 3, covered parking, where "suits" get dropped off, wait for driver to haul out the luggage and the driver never gets a thank you, much less a couple of bucks.
I have my dollar bills showing and get taken to my car, luggage is put in trunk and they are always extra nice.

How you treat people comes back to you - good or bad. Just sayin'

cjohnson.405
09-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Jeez, some of you people really need to get out.

As it happens, I do get out. I average 3 legs a week coast to coast and probably have an informed viewpoint.

Rover
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM

This isn't a political thing, even though you obviously have an ax to grind or a bias. It is a population thing and a hub thing. I also travel multiple times a week both nationally and some internationally and my informed observation is that bigger cities and those with hubs have busier airports...imagine that. And the more large companies that base there the more their people travel as priority and those visiting them travel as priority. Isn't it amazing. That seems to be true around the world whether the mayors are communists or dictators.

HOT ROD
09-09-2010, 12:39 AM
well, I hate to one-up people, but I am in the airline business (imagine that. .. I live in Seattle ....) and my job is in marketing (imagine that) - so don't you think I might know what airlines are doing?

But I would hate to argue against those more in the know. Maybe I should resign or poll OKC customers before I populate segment strategies. Clearly some of you are more informed.

flintysooner
09-09-2010, 04:33 AM
I traveled by air quite a bit a couple of decades ago but since 2007 I've only made 2 trips by air. Neither trip was a good travel experience by any reasonable standard I can imagine and so different from when I traveled frequently.

I've had many opportunities to travel during the last several years but air travel is so distasteful to me that I'd just as soon stay home or find a different way to go.

I don't have any solutions for the problems but for me air travel is the epitome of a miserable experience to be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Hot Rod I do admire your posts but for me it is going to take considerably more than marketing to get me back on a commercial airline.

LakeEffect
09-09-2010, 07:50 AM
well, I hate to one-up people, but I am in the airline business (imagine that. .. I live in Seattle ....) and my job is in marketing (imagine that) - so don't you think I might know what airlines are doing?

But I would hate to argue against those more in the know. Maybe I should resign or poll OKC customers before I populate segment strategies. Clearly some of you are more informed.

Wow. Don't get all huffy. Here's a source of some of my info I was stating:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-09-01-delta-regional-jets-cincinnati_N.htm "Comair currently operates about 99 regional jets. It plans to retire all but 16 of its 69 jets with 50 seats. It will continue to operate 15 70-seaters and 13 90-seaters. Its workforce will be cut accordingly, Delta says." And also this quote: "Boyd predicts that by 2015, only about 800 jets with 50 or fewer seats will be flying in the USA, compared to the more than 1,600 that were flying in January 2009."

cjohnson.405
09-09-2010, 06:00 PM
This isn't a political thing, even though you obviously have an ax to grind or a bias. It is a population thing and a hub thing. I also travel multiple times a week both nationally and some internationally and my informed observation is that bigger cities and those with hubs have busier airports...imagine that. And the more large companies that base there the more their people travel as priority and those visiting them travel as priority. Isn't it amazing. That seems to be true around the world whether the mayors are communists or dictators.

I have no ax to grind but I do have a bias. I recently moved from the Dallas area and engage every week in cities with healthy business climates. Those areas get it. Prior to living in Dallas, I lived in Edmond for over a decade. I've been able to live in and see both sides. The business climate, government policies, and leadership is dramatically different. That's why there are so many Oklahomans living in North Dallas and why so many OU grads leave Norman and move to Texas.

I hate that it happens that way. I would love to see Oklahoma graduates find enough great jobs in Oklahoma that they want to stay here. I moved back because I like the lifestyle better, my wife and I missed our friends, my wife's family is here, and I like what MAPS has done for the city and the continued investment into the city.

As far as busier airports reflecting healthier business climates, thank you for agreeing with me.

BG918
09-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I have no ax to grind but I do have a bias. I recently moved from the Dallas area and engage every week in cities with healthy business climates. Those areas get it. Prior to living in Dallas, I lived in Edmond for over a decade. I've been able to live in and see both sides. The business climate, government policies, and leadership is dramatically different. That's why there are so many Oklahomans living in North Dallas and why so many OU grads leave Norman and move to Texas.

I hate that it happens that way. I would love to see Oklahoma graduates find enough great jobs in Oklahoma that they want to stay here. I moved back because I like the lifestyle better, my wife and I missed our friends, my wife's family is here, and I like what MAPS has done for the city and the continued investment into the city.

As far as busier airports reflecting healthier business climates, thank you for agreeing with me.

Once again it's not really fair to compare OKC to the DFW Metroplex. That is the 5th largest metro in the U.S. and home to numerous large corporations, up there with New York, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston and San Francisco. There are nearly TWICE as many people in that metro as there are in the entire state of Oklahoma. As the closest large city to OKC only 2.5-3 hours away of course there are going to be people moving there for jobs.

Rover
09-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Not agreeing with you. Saying bigger population centers have busier airports. DUH. Detroit is busier airport than OKC, but certainly not a better business environment.

HOT ROD
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
It may not be a better business climate but DTW is a bigger business center than OKC. ...

I have no doubt that OKC will grow and become a solid Tier II city within the next 5-10 years. OKC just needs to find it's niche (which I believe to be Energy, Health Care and Research, Agribusiness, Government (of course), and Finance/Corporate Back Office). OKC is already a leading Energy, Agri, and Government center - we just need to keep growing the Health Care and start making strong moves in getting Back Offices/2ndary Headquarters; call centers are a start but we need to expand from it (Dell, AT&T, HERTZ, etc).

If OKC can capitalize on those sectors, then OKC will be the next Denver. In fact, Denver has emphasis in some of those sectors (Federal Govt (like OKC), some Energy, some Agribusiness), but Denver made it's mark with tourism (duh), Telecommunications, High Tech, and Transportation.

What we need is a diverse economy - true; but we need to be a top 5 leader in several sectors. If OKC can seize more in Energy, Agri, Govt, get some more Agribusiness and Finance/Corporate Back Office, and if OKC can get Transportation BACK - I imagine we would see exponential growth in both residential population and visitor trips. It certainly doesn't hurt that OKC is showing a growing tourism business and it is nice that most of it is home grown and quite organic for the most part. ....

If OKC doesn't already have this (which would surprise me), OKC needs to push AT&T and the other telecoms to get advanced fiber in the CBD and key business districts. This is a huge draw and is what really put Denver on the map as a Telecom and High Tech leader. If OKC has this, then they need to pitch it better to companies/conventions - not JUST the cost of living/business advantages.

One other idea, surprisingly - OKC's media offering is horrible when it comes to the international world. Despite OKC having a large Asian and non-mexican latino communities; the only emphasis Cox serves with regard to foreign media is Mexican. I understand and agree that Mexican should be the biggest non-native US service offering, but it wouldn't hurt for Cox to carry a channel or two from Vietnam, China, Japan, Korea, Brasil, Taiwan, Philipines, France/UK, Italy, Russia, and Germany - particularly since the city has sizeable numbers of residents from the first mentioned countries and therefore might have some business clients and/or tourists who would feel more at home here. It adds to the city's 'cosmopolitanism' component of the quality of life equation if there is diversity of media available, even if only at additional cost - at least it is there (and it aint in OKC right now).

Change these 'quite simple' things - and OKC takes a quantum leap into the Tier II of American markets pretty quickly.

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 12:19 AM
One other idea, surprisingly - OKC's media offering is horrible when it comes to the international world. Despite OKC having a large Asian and non-mexican latino communities; the only emphasis Cox serves with regard to foreign media is Mexican. I understand and agree that Mexican should be the biggest non-native US service offering, but it wouldn't hurt for Cox to carry a channel or two from Vietnam, China, Japan, Korea, Brasil, Taiwan, Philipines, France/UK, Italy, Russia, and Germany - particularly since the city has sizeable numbers of residents from the first mentioned countries and therefore might have some business clients and/or tourists who would feel more at home here. It adds to the city's 'cosmopolitanism' component of the quality of life equation if there is diversity of media available, even if only at additional cost - at least it is there (and it aint in OKC right now).

I visit my brother frequently in LA and his cable TV has every channel they offer. I've never seen that kind of diversity in offerings there. Spanish language and BBC are about as diverse with international channels as they get and we can get that here. There may other large cities with that kind of programming but I don't think the lack of such hurts us in the least. When I go to Europe I find the local channels offered there very interesting even if I don't totally understand everything that's going on. I've been to some countries where I never heard a word of English on television.

bluedogok
09-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I visit my brother frequently in LA and his cable TV has every channel they offer. I've never seen that kind of diversity in offerings there. Spanish language and BBC are about as diverse with international channels as they get and we can get that here. There may other large cities with that kind of programming but I don't think the lack of such hurts us in the least. When I go to Europe I find the local channels offered there very interesting even if I don't totally understand everything that's going on. I've been to some countries where I never heard a word of English on television.
Most that I know who want international television go to Directv or Dish even in markets where more is offered on local cable systems.

HOT ROD
09-11-2010, 01:53 PM
well, we must have better tv in Seattle then - because we have quite a wide array of international channels; as have most cities I have visited. Your brother might not have a premium international cable package, which is what I am talking about and that OKC doesn't offer. I have also been to LA and know they have this in nearly every market down there - especially considering it is the largest Asian market in the US. ....

If OKC improved this, it should also improve it's media market - which is computed using cable iirc and not sat.

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 10:37 PM
well, we must have better tv in Seattle then - because we have quite a wide array of international channels; as have most cities I have visited. Your brother might not have a premium international cable package, which is what I am talking about and that OKC doesn't offer. I have also been to LA and know they have this in nearly every market down there - especially considering it is the largest Asian market in the US. ....

If OKC improved this, it should also improve it's media market - which is computed using cable iirc and not sat.

Not so about cable in LA. I promise you my brother has everything offered. I still contend that it's an insignficant factor in being a cosmoplitan city. I'm not saying we shouldn't have access to something like that, just that it's not really an issue to be concerned about.

GoThunder
09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought this was a thread about our airport... just saying.

SkyWestOKC
09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Passenger boardings up for August 2010 compared to August 2009. Boardings up 2.26% and arriving passengers up 3.65% for the month. Boardings for the year to date up 0.85% and arriving passengers up 0.82%. Might not be record busting, but it is positive ground.

http://flyokc.com/releases%5CAugust%2010%20Enplanement.pdf

_________

Lottery machines to go in the OKC airport, as well as Tulsa. Not a bad idea, it's gambling, but it's not considered casino gambling, so I don't mind this in the public space.

http://newsok.com/lottery-machines-to-land-at-two-oklahoma-airports/article/3494973?custom_click=lead_story_title

_________

OKC-Atlanta on Delta is cut from 6x daily to 5x daily beginning January and returns to 6x in February. Seasonal cutback. Returns to 6x around the end of February. Our mainline on this route appears to go down to a few times a week instead of daily. Looks like it returns daily by the end of February.

OKC-Minneapolis/St.Paul goes from 3x daily to 2x daily for the same time and reasons as Atlanta.

Also, this is several months out, and the schedules do change frequently up until about 2 months out from the day.

_________

Parking garages are going to be power-washed over the next month. About time, they are getting grimy and litter filled. Should find out next week further word on the Garage B (Old 5-story) renovations. I'm betting this cleaning is prepping for that to take place.
http://flyokc.com/index.aspx?page=update&id=905
_________

Terminal Drive, 66th Street, 67th Street, Guy Fuller Road, Air Cargo Road north of Amelia Earhart, and the turnaround back to the terminal are done being paved and painted. S. Meridian south of Terminal Drive is all that remains of the project, and today looks like they were milling and starting to pave it.

That's all from me...

Richard at Remax
09-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Got this email this morning:

Southwest Airlines' Definitive Agreement to Acquire AirTran

Dear Richard,
As one of our most valued Customers, I wanted you to be among the first to know the exciting news that Southwest Airlines has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire AirTran Holdings, Inc., a parent company of AirTran Airways (AirTran). Although the closing of the deal depends on a number of approvals, we're all very excited about what it can mean for the Customers, Employees, Communities, and Shareholders of both organizations.
If approved, the acquisition will allow Southwest to offer low fares and exceptional Customer Service in more markets and to more loyal Customers like you.

More Access to More Destinations
Our new, broader national presence will benefit many markets as a result of increased competition stimulated by Southwest's low fares and well-known brand. This includes significant opportunities to and from Atlanta, the largest domestic market we do not serve. It expands our presence in key markets, like New York LaGuardia, Boston Logan, and Baltimore/Washington, as well as enables us to serve Washington D.C. via Ronald Reagan National Airport. Also, it presents the opportunity to provide access to key international leisure markets in the Caribbean and Mexico, and extend our service to many smaller domestic cities that we don't serve today.

What Changes Today?
There are no changes to the way you travel on Southwest today or in the near future. Until the transaction closes and we've received the required regulatory and AirTran Stockholder approvals, Southwest and AirTran will continue to operate as independent companies. After closing, Southwest plans, over time, to integrate AirTran into the Southwest Airlines brand to develop a consistent Customer Experience.
This, of course, includes combining the carriers' frequent flyer programs. Meanwhile, credits and awards in both programs remain valid, and you will continue to earn credits by flying or using our partners just as you do today.
There's a lot of work to be done and decisions to be made. We'll keep you informed of developments. In the meantime, we invite you to visit a special website we've created – www.lowfaresfarther.com – where you'll find regularly updated news and information about the deal.
Thanks for your continued loyalty and support of Southwest Airlines!

Sincerely,
Kevin Krone
Vice President Marketing, Sales, and Distribution

GoThunder
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I wonder if this means AirTran's 717's will be painted in Southwest livery...? Also, this is huge because Southwest will finally offer some sort of international flights. Very interesting.

BG918
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Pretty soon the only airlines at OKC will be American, Delta, United and Southwest. Continental will be part of United by next year. Though they aren't in OKC, I don't see USAir remaining independent for long. The only 'new' airline I could see is jetBlue, non-stop to New York JFK.

EDIT: Forgot about Frontier. I could see them merging with a bigger airline in the future. A jetBlue merger with Frontier would give them a central US hub (Denver).

MustangGT
09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
System wide I can see a lot of new possibilities. Locally not so much.

Kerry
09-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Though they aren't in OKC, I don't see USAir remaining independent for long. The only 'new' airline I could see is jetBlue, non-stop to New York JFK.

USAir already merged with America West.

SkyWestOKC
09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
JetBlue and Frontier will not merge. Frontier and Midwest are already in the process of merging, and adding on a new merger would sink the operation. (Three way merger).

jetBlue is more likely to merge with American, as far fetched as it sounds. They are already doing some partnering up in New York JFK.

jetBlue has a focus city in Austin, any central (middle to middle) growth will come through Austin.

As far as Southwest and AirTran are concerned, locally we won't change much. I could see OKC to Atlanta nonstop on Southwest starting, and possibly Baltimore going to 2x daily. Not much change here, systemwide it will be huge.

I was reading on newsok some commenters implying OKC becoming a hub for the combined carrier because Dallas isn't a 'hub'. False, Southwest doesn't operate "hubs" in the literal sense of cramming a ton of flights for connecting purposes. All of their "hubs" do support a ton of local traffic, connections to boot. It is legal for them to have a hub at Dallas, but the Wright Amendment does not allow them to fly airplanes over 50 seats to destinations outside of Texas, Kansas, Missouri, or states that border Texas. Dallas Love is a "hub" though.

Interesting news, this, I, nor many others, were not expecting.

BG918
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
JetBlue and Frontier will not merge. Frontier and Midwest are already in the process of merging, and adding on a new merger would sink the operation. (Three way merger).

jetBlue is more likely to merge with American, as far fetched as it sounds. They are already doing some partnering up in New York JFK.

jetBlue has a focus city in Austin, any central (middle to middle) growth will come through Austin.

As far as Southwest and AirTran are concerned, locally we won't change much. I could see OKC to Atlanta nonstop on Southwest starting, and possibly Baltimore going to 2x daily. Not much change here, systemwide it will be huge.

I was reading on newsok some commenters implying OKC becoming a hub for the combined carrier because Dallas isn't a 'hub'. False, Southwest doesn't operate "hubs" in the literal sense of cramming a ton of flights for connecting purposes. All of their "hubs" do support a ton of local traffic, connections to boot. It is legal for them to have a hub at Dallas, but the Wright Amendment does not allow them to fly airplanes over 50 seats to destinations outside of Texas, Kansas, Missouri, or states that border Texas. Dallas Love is a "hub" though.

Interesting news, this, I, nor many others, were not expecting.

In addition to an Atlanta and another Baltimore flight it would be nice to see a few new non-stop flights from Southwest, possibly to San Antonio, Chicago Midway, Orlando, New Orleans and Nashville. This in addition to their daily non-stops to Las Vegas, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas Love, Houston Hobby, Baltimore and St. Louis. Do they still have the daily non-stop to Kansas City, I can't remember?

If jetBlue and American merge, do they keep Austin as their focus city with DFW so close? Non-stops on jetBlue to New York and Austin would probably do well.

SkyWestOKC
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
We have Kansas City. Orlando might be a possibility, too, forgot about it. I've been waiting for Midway forever, but it has never happened, I'd like to see it as well! I'm in shell shock...it's going to take me a while to digest this one!

MustangGT
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
It is legal for them to have a hub at Dallas, but the Wright Amendment does not allow them to fly airplanes over 50 seats to destinations outside of Texas, Kansas, Missouri, or states that border Texas. Dallas Love is a "hub" though.

I have read in numerous trade publications that the Wright Amendment is in the process of being phased out and that by 2014 it will go the way of the DoDo bird. Has this changed recently?

bluedogok
09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
We take JetBlue whenever we can, it is pretty nice especially the direct flights to JFK and Boston. We have taken the Frontier direct to Denver a couple of times.

NickFiggins
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I have read in numerous trade publications that the Wright Amendment is in the process of being phased out and that by 2014 it will go the way of the DoDo bird. Has this changed recently?

No the Wright Amendment is being phased out. Currently SW can offer through tickets until 2014, and then they can fly anywhere they want to domestically. However the number of gates are capped at DAL, so it limits how large of focus it will be.

And for the limits on gates I see SW cutting back on OKC-DAL flights in favor of DAL-LAX,EWR,LGA,ATL etc.

Kerry
09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Wright amendment - no Wright Amendment - Love Field isn't large enough to house a western hub operation. It is full now and only allows flights to 5 or 6 states. No way it will be able to handle flights to 20 or 25 states.

BG918
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Website about the merger including route maps for Southwest and AirTran:
http://www.lowfaresfarther.com/

I find it interesting that Albuquerque has so many non-stop SW flights.

Currently non-stop from OKC on SW: Dallas Love, Houston Hobby, St. Louis, Baltimore/Washington, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver
Potential non-stop routes on SW: Atlanta, Orlando, San Antonio, Chicago Midway, Nashville, New Orleans, Seattle, Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs (if SW expands there)

Potential non-stop routes on jetBlue: New York JFK, Austin

Currently non-stop on United/Continental: Denver, Chicago O'Hare, Houston Bush, Newark, Washington Dulles, Los Angeles
Potential non-stop routes on United/Continental: San Francisco

Currently non-stop on American: Dallas/Ft Worth, Chicago O'Hare
Potential non-stop routes on American: Miami

Currently non-stop on Delta/Northwest: Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, Memphis, Detroit
Potential non-stop routes on Delta/Northwest: New York LaGuardia

Currently non-stop on Frontier/Midwest: Denver
Potential non-stop routes on Frontier/Midwest: Milwaukee

Lauri101
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Looks like the possibility exists of a flight to DCA via Chicago Midway. Finally - a choice other than American or Delta to D.C.! Can't wait for that to happen - I really prefer the business plan of SWA.

redrunner
09-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Southwest plans to keep AirTran’s Boeing 717 fleet (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/27/347858/southwest-plans-to-keep-airtrans-boeing-717-fleet.html)

During a call with media to discuss the acquisition Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the carrier has decided it wants to keep and operate the 717, and will operate the smaller aircraft in a single 117-seat configuration. Currently AirTran operates its 117-seat 717s in a dual class offering.

"Our pilots have looked at it [the 717] and like it," Kelly states. The aircraft will also allow Southwest to operate in markets too small to support its 737 fleet.

Could this possibly open up new non-stop destinations out of OKC?

bombermwc
10-01-2010, 06:32 AM
So what does that do to Southwest's maintenance costs then? They've managed to create a huge savings in cost by only maintaining one model (even with various versions). Now that they will have multiple types, why not start using an even broader range and go to airports neither plane is small enough to make use of? If they start doing that, then how are they different from anyone else? That's always been the big appeal for me for Southwest is that I know 100% that i won't be on a puddle jumper or some stinking MD-80; 737 all the time, everywhere. Now I'm going to have to start checking if I'm going to be riding a little terdy 717? No bueno.

SkyWestOKC
10-01-2010, 07:09 AM
The chances of getting a 717 are slim...86 in that fleet versus a combined 600 and some odd 737s in the combined 737 fleet. They will probably keep them around until the leases expire in 2015 and 2016. If you have planes, might as well use them. The impact to the combined network would take a HUGE hit by removing 15% of the fleet just for the hell of it. Southwest is a SMART airline.

BG918
10-01-2010, 07:36 AM
So what does that do to Southwest's maintenance costs then? They've managed to create a huge savings in cost by only maintaining one model (even with various versions). Now that they will have multiple types, why not start using an even broader range and go to airports neither plane is small enough to make use of? If they start doing that, then how are they different from anyone else? That's always been the big appeal for me for Southwest is that I know 100% that i won't be on a puddle jumper or some stinking MD-80; 737 all the time, everywhere. Now I'm going to have to start checking if I'm going to be riding a little terdy 717? No bueno.

If you are flying out of Lubbock or Shreveport you may be on a 717. OKC, probably not.

SkyWestOKC
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM
The only OKC route I could see the 717 on would be MDW. That is assuming, however, we do eventually get OKC-MDW nonstop.

OUman
10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
The 717-200 is not a "little" plane, if you mean it's the same as a regional jet. In terms of comfort, it's one of passengers' most favourite planes alongside the 737, the E-jets and other planes that have always been liked by passengers.

For the time being, the 717s will be flying where they are flying for now, but as we all know, WN moves its planes around the country, and even the 737-500s are being flown around the network. So the 717s might not be confined to the eastern 2/3rds of the country either.

HOT ROD
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
correct, the 717 is in the same class as the DC-9/MD-80/MD-90; just a smaller and more efficient platform.

Originally, it was developed by McDonnel Douglas to replace the DC-9 series and compete with the regional jets and the 737. Of course, we (Boeing) merged with MCD but a concession to then MD CEO Stoney Stonecipher was to continue some of the MD programs as long as they were profitable but rebrand the then MD-95 as the Boeing 717. It was a dual strategy, satisfy the LA job market and base but signify the merge of the two companies with the MD plane becoming a Boeing and MD managers assuming high profile roles in the 'new' company. The other reason was the 'issues' or better yet perception of McDonnel Douglass airframes given the mishaps with the DC-10/MD-11 trijet series. In all honesty though, much of those problems came from the customers themselves and not the product. It was hoped that changing it away from MD designation would relieve customer concerns and save the remaining MD programs. Perception was perceived as reality and now the MD-11 trijet flies solely as a Freighter (in the US) and the MD-95/717 didn't take off as expected and it was cut. Today, there are no heritage MD commercial aircraft in production, only military (which was MD's strength anyways).

There is nothing wrong with a 717, it is a great product and is bigger than most regional jets. I don't necessarily agree with the above strategy but at that time I wasn't in the board room. ......

SkyWestOKC
10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Correct, the 717 is the Boeing 737-500 of MD-80's. In fact, the 717 has just a handful fewer seats than the 737-500 in Southwest's configuration. I hope we do get the 717 here in OKC, I'd like to add it to my list of types flown on as it is becoming a more and more rare aircraft.

SkyWestOKC
10-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Very good numbers for September. http://flyokc.com/releases%5CSeptember%2010%20Enplanement.pdf

Southwest was the big winner, 7,322 more departing passengers than last September! Delta's "growth" is artificially high because they absorbed Northwest's numbers in the merger, we should subtract the Northwest number from the new Delta number to get true, or net, growth....which would be 311 more passengers than last September.

I do think Frontier at OKC will not last much longer, unfortunately. Their numbers are dwindling. I hope they can stick it out, but I feel Southwest and United have them cornered to Denver....

MustangGT
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with a 717, it is a great product and is bigger than most regional jets.

Having flow on every jet model that Boeing has produced and most of the sub-variants I can tell you I would much prefer the 717 to the "Regional Jets" I have flown on built by Bombardier. Also the FAA and other regulatory groups are properly turning their microscope on Bombardier RJ products. It may be nothing but it may be big trouble with the landing gear. The 717 was a dedicated airliner from the start, the Bombardier RJ started life as a corporate jet.

ljbab728
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Very good numbers for September. http://flyokc.com/releases%5CSeptember%2010%20Enplanement.pdf

Southwest was the big winner, 7,322 more departing passengers than last September! Delta's "growth" is artificially high because they absorbed Northwest's numbers in the merger, we should subtract the Northwest number from the new Delta number to get true, or net, growth....which would be 311 more passengers than last September.

I do think Frontier at OKC will not last much longer, unfortunately. Their numbers are dwindling. I hope they can stick it out, but I feel Southwest and United have them cornered to Denver....

And soon we will see one less airline on that list when United and Continental complete their merger.

bombermwc
10-14-2010, 07:02 AM
I'm not personally a great fan of the MD-80 either...but that has more to do with the craptacular way American Airlines maintains (or doesn't) them. They just don't feel as smooth in flight as the 737. The 717, along the same line, just doesn't feel the same to me. For whatever reason, the 737 is a plane I can relax on a lot better than similarly sized by passenger count planes.

Now we also have to remember, the number of seats on the plane are partially determined by the carrier, so we can't blame Boeing. Airlines take the base model and configure as they desire, so I try very hard not to lump everything together. Heck, just compare an MD-80 on AA to one on another carrier...say Delta. WAAAAY different.

redrunner
10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs823.snc4/68343_10100349563259300_7923939_65292194_7200926_n .jpg

My friend took this photo while flying out of Houston Intercontinental this morning.