View Full Version : future of okc metro

Jesseda
09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
this web site shows some intersting plans for okc metro and other towns in oklahoma..

some we have talked about, some are new
POTENTIAL WORK (http://garrettmoorecompany.com/3.html)

look at the present area as well

shane453
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Whoa:

GAME DAY CONDOMINIUMS

SE corner of Lindsey and Jenkins in Norman, Oklahoma
(potential cost of $58,000,000.00)

18 stories of mixed use of retail, offices and condominiums overlooking the
University of Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium
status...seeking administration approval

That's pretty interesting.

Jesseda
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
i thought the norman 18 story building was interesting, i wonder if this company is going through with all its plans, is shows they are doing the coretoshore thing as well, along with a outlet center in stroud

SoonerDave
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Whoa:

Right smack where the old O'Connells and that nasty little scalper hive meets...Eighteen stories!???

Jesseda
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
it says that at the riverwalk plaza in moore they are buildinga hiltons homewood suites?
http://garrettmoorecompany.com/doc/available_properties_03_01_09.pdf

stlokc
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Whoa, that proposal for the "Railway District" frightens me. That type of construction belongs on Memorial Road, not in the gateway to Downtown.

EBAH
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
http://garrettmoorecompany.com/doc/TheDistrict.pdf

What about that project? I haven't seen this "Railway District" proposal before. Does anyone know if it actually has legs??

warreng88
09-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I think the most interesting one for us is the "Railway District" that would take up the space between NE 5th, 10th, the rail way and I-235. It would include 415,000 sq ft of retail, 143,000 sq feet of office and a hotel.

warreng88
09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Looks like we were all posting at the same time.

Platemaker
09-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Whoa, that proposal for the "Railway District" frightens me. That type of construction belongs on Memorial Road, not in the gateway to Downtown.

Especially all that surface parking.

stlokc
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
If they are going to clear out that land for a new mixed-use development, why can't it be a more sophisticated urbanist design? Several buildings of street-level (right up to the street) retail, 3 or 4 or 5 floors of offices or residences or hotels or all three, parking hidden behind in garages, some density of activity. Why is OKC the only city that can't seem to figure this out?

(I'm just ranting...I know there are people who have figured this out...just wish they could put it in practice...)

If that gets built like it looks, I predict it will remain half-vacant or will devolve into low-level mediocrity.

metro
09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Don't Plano our "Railroad District"!

Platemaker
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I just had to take a second look on google maps and noticed that there are several nice buildings worth saving... especially on NE 6th.

Thos would also remove Java Dave's building and the old bindery building on NE 10th... surely those could be saved.

This Railroad District plan is terrible... then again the company with the concept is out of Dallas... i'm sure they have OKC's best interests at heart.

Don't Plano our "Railroad District"!

VERY true.

stlokc
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Platemaker, I agree. Save the nicer buildings worth saving, weave the infill development around those buildings to create a streetscape with some depth and variety. The most interesting "districts" have structures of different sizes, shapes, ages, even heights. If some of the buildings you mention are larger (I haven't looked at them), they could be restaurants or event spaces or little dinner theaters. Or, perish the thought, if they are existing businesses, let them stay what they are. There's no reason a "bindery" can't exist side-by-side with a art gallery. Or a chain store with a warehouse of some type. The "new" construction doesn't have to match the old entirely, as long as it is done with sophistication.

In general, sweeping, suburban style developments where everything is the "same" do not belong in an inner city.

wsucougz
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Garbage, all of it. OU is going to let them build an 18 story building on the site of the old O'Connell's? Sounds far-fetched.

mugofbeer
09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Garbage, all of it. OU is going to let them build an 18 story building on the site of the old O'Connell's? Sounds far-fetched.

If I recall, there was a similar proposal for a bit further east on Lindsay that never was built about 18 months ago. Glad you are such a glass-half-full kind of guy WSU - - though I will miss O'Connells. Stumbled home many a time from there.

mugofbeer
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I think the most interesting one for us is the "Railway District" that would take up the space between NE 5th, 10th, the rail way and I-235. It would include 415,000 sq ft of retail, 143,000 sq feet of office and a hotel.

I want to see a street level view of this development. It could be a "Town Center" type of development like the Southlake Town Center near Dallas. Does it have housing above the retail?

kevinpate
09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
There has been talk about remaking the Jenkins/Lindsey corner for some time. For whatever reason it's been on hold for some time as well. I seem to recall a drawing in the local press quite a ways back re a large and largely vertical mixed use development envisioned for there.

Would be interesting to see, particularly with the condo/loft and retail development begun at 12th and Lindsey to the east and what Loft401 up at Boyds and Classen has the potential to become.

onthestrip
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
If I had a dime for every rendering I have seen of some new cool development that never came to fruition...

mugofbeer
09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Especially right now when the credit for such things has dried up. Unless they have secured credit already, good luck to them!

metro
09-16-2009, 08:20 AM
If I had a dime for every rendering I have seen of some new cool development that never came to fruition...

You'd probably have a good $2 or $3.

Platemaker
09-16-2009, 08:23 AM
metro's right... how many bad developments have I seen come to fruition??? WAY TOO MANY!

Pete
09-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Regarding the condo tower in Norman, about two years ago Skylineink had renderings of a big building just south of Lindsey near the Duck Pond; but it was only about 12 stories.

Boren has said many times he wants condos that would keep alums close to campus. Lots of other schools have similar projects... Helps to keep people involved with the school in retirement and semi-retirement.

onthestrip
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
You'd probably have a good $2 or $3.

Eh, maybe $5. But the idea that the credit crunch killed these projects isnt true. I remember going to the vegas ICSC convention 5 years ago and saw renderings of two huge projects, one in Moore and one in Norman. None of these ever came close to being done and that was when credit was flowing from everywhere. All I know is that if there is a $15+ million project announced, complete with renderings showing how awesome it is, there is about a 10% chance its getting done. That is just the way its been in this city the last decade.

Jesseda
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I just posted this web site because it hada lot of interesting things and projects, I have no idea about the company, i just thought ithad some really neat plans, i do hope it goes through. I just wanted to share the findings

Spartan
09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Whoa:

Shane, you saw this proposal back in the day you visited OkMet. OU chose a different smaller-scale concept for development of the site which ended up being postponed due to the economy. I think the planner of the concept they ended up going with was the Small Group.