View Full Version : Calling out the Sooner Nation

westsidesooner
09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.imadiver.com/pagebuildingpics/OU%20Flag.gif

"It’s still college ball and I’m not going to call kids out,” Stoops said. "There will be changes, and it will be more competitive.”

Thats a quote from an article by DAVID UBBEN from NewsOK.com.

NORMAN — Kevin Wilson walked into the offensive side of the halftime locker room Saturday night. He’s found funeral homes with more zip.
"It was a morgue,” said Oklahoma’s offensive coordinator. "A total morgue.”

And that was from a very well written article by staff writer Berry Trammel. Heres a link to the rest of his article NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/where-are-the-leaders-for-ou/article/3399449?custom_click=columnist)

Last season before the Texas Tech game Coach Stoops called out the fans. We responded like never before. This week I'm calling out the entire Sooner Nation. Stoops is right to not call out his young players, as a coach he needs to be supportive and not to critical. After all, the players are young. But most of these kids have been playing football since they could walk. Pee-wee, jv, high school. I think they know what it takes to win by now.

Im no coach, but I've been to Sooner games for the last 40 years and I know when I see fight in a team. I didn't see that last Saturday. With a few exceptions which I mentioned in earlier posts. The players in the locker room should have been angry...not comatose. Trammel hits on that in his aritcle. So Im calling out the players to step up. Be leaders.

Oklahoma fans are unique. We are fans of one of the proudest and most tradition rich programs in the country, college or pro. We are accustomed to watching championship level football. But its not always going to be a championship season. There will be off years. Years with substandard talent, years with substandard coaching (Schnellenberger-Blake), and years with devastating injuries (Troy Aikman, Gresham). We've seen it all. I'm not saying this isn't going to be a championship season......we'll wait and see on that. But for it to happen we all need to step up.

Last weekends loss is still fresh in every sooners memory. Saturday night lowly Idaho State comes to Norman. The weather is forecast to be cool and rainy. Sam wont be in uniform. Theres a lot to moan and groan about. But.......and its a big but (lol) if we want these young unproven Sooners to succeed we have to be there for them. We need to cheer like we did at last years TT game.

More than anything, I'm calling out the sooner fans. Dont.....Not Show Up. Dont leave early. These young men need to know that we support them 100%. If nothing else, show up for Sam Bradford and Jermain Gresham. Show up for Landry Jones...(can you imagine the kind of pressure he must be feeling?)....he will be our QB of the future and I for one want to support him. Energy and enthusiasm feed off of energy and enthusiasm. Remember how the players fed off the energy of the crowd last year.

ITS TIME. Some of the players have changed but the message is the same. Its Time ...to stand up.....and rock this house. Our House. Show Stoops we can call ourselves out.

YouTube - Oklahoma Sooners: 2008 Intro Video No. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2fD-dNymyc&feature=channel)

Boomer.

FFLady
09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Even more-so, after reading this Idiot's article -

Oklahoma deserves a pity party, or a greeting card (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/09/08/0908kelso.html)

adaniel
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you for posting this. I was just looking on Facebook and its pathetic how many people are dumping their tickets for cheap like the season's a lost cause. OU fans are spoiled to the core as far as cheering a winning team, and we don't know how to act when things get tough. I will be cheering them from 300 miles away this weekend loundly and proudly.

...SOONER!!

ktybug
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Boomer Sooner!!! My screen saver at work is the Sooner Schooner pictured with the pep squad. Even wear my Sooner shirts and jackets amongst these barking Dawg's. Nothing better than a Saturday afternoon with my Sooners!

westsidesooner
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Oklahoma deserves a pity party, or a greeting card (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/09/08/0908kelso.html)

Yeah...that commentary article is pure trash. Funny how he goes out of his way to make up bad things to say about Oklahoma being so obsessed with football. Isnt Texas the state that just built a 1.2 billion dollar stadium for football. Isnt Texas where they have congressional hearings if their school isnt invited to play in the NC game. Isnt Texas the state that puts an asterisk beside championships they THINK they won. Pot and Kettle. :ou

Thank you for posting this. I was just looking on Facebook and its pathetic how many people are dumping their tickets for cheap like the season's a lost cause. OU fans are spoiled to the core as far as cheering a winning team, and we don't know how to act when things get tough. I will be cheering them from 300 miles away this weekend loundly and proudly.

...SOONER!!

The reason I started this post is because I was tired of hearing people say our season was already over. The only thing that was eliminated from OU's goals this season so far is an undefeated season. Granted it will be tough to get back into the NC picture.....but not impossible. All of our other goals are still there in front of us for the taking.

I hope those people (not real OU fans) selling their season tickets regret it when we have a good season.....and they are placed at the bottom of the waiting list when they decide they want their tickets back. We thought about cancelling ours in the 90's during the dark ages. It was tough paying full price for tickets then seeing people selling tickets for $20 outside the stadium. I'm so glad we didnt get rid of ours.

I'll be there rain or shine....(moon shine since its a night game) cheering like a champion. I may go out and look for a good rain suit before this weekend though. At my age it isnt as much fun getting soaked as it use to be. (see last seasons game against Tenn-Chat). Pregame for us....as always will be at La Lunas gulping down margaritas and nachos.

Casey
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
What time are the Sooner Saturday afternoon games, generally?

The schedule is up, but no times.

skyrick
05-29-2010, 03:08 PM
What time are the Sooner Saturday afternoon games, generally?

The schedule is up, but no times.

Usually depends on TV schedule. Any game is likely to change within two weeks of game day.

Casey
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Okay, but what are the typical game times from last year?

Afternoon? Evening? Any or all of the above? :)

kevinpate
05-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Okay, but what are the typical game times from last year?

Afternoon? Evening? Any or all of the above? :)

Afternoon games are generally more common, but there really isn't a typical game time due to telly. And an aftenroon game can shift to a pre-noon start or an evening start anytime TV comes a callin'

soonerfan_in_okc
06-04-2010, 12:34 AM
1130, 230, and 630 are the kick off times. Most however are at 230 it seems

Casey
06-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks soonerfan.

Casey
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Soonerfans - is the tailgate party worth it? It's $40 for all your can drink/eat for 2.5hrs. Is it fun?

Do people tailgate outside the party, on their own?

Dustin
08-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Sad thing is, he's probably hailed as some sort of god down there in ┴exas. Boomer Sooner.