View Full Version : What ever happened to the excalibur coaster at frontier city?

ChargerAg
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I remember that the Excalibur roller coast from Houston's now defunct park Astroworld was shipped to OKC to be rebuilt. It seems they had some trouble rebuilding it and it never happened. I was curious if anybody knew what happened to the track. Is it still sitting on park grounds?

Thunder
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Never heard of any other such coasters being built at the part. There is tracks sitting on the property for years, never built. I don't know the name of that coaster, but I heard it was damaged when people was taking it apart from a park in Texas. Some parts went missing. All hope is actually lost for that coaster and the park just need to simply throw them all out.

okcpulse
09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Never heard of any other such coasters being built at the part. There is tracks sitting on the property for years, never built. I don't know the name of that coaster, but I heard it was damaged when people was taking it apart from a park in Texas. Some parts went missing. All hope is actually lost for that coaster and the park just need to simply throw them all out.

Texans knew it was being shipped to Oklahoma, so they f-ed it up just to spite us *j/k*

oneforone
09-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I hijacked the truck before it made it to FC. I am setting it up in my backyard as we speak. All I can say is the neighbors are going to be pissed.

Jesseda
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
the coaster was sent to us, but during dismantle it was damaged and was never fixed like stated earlier , it set in the coaster bone yard for awhile, (boneyard is the extra 80 acreas just west on the other side of coletrane). you can see a good picture of the boneyard if you use satelite maps like google maps

metro
09-10-2009, 07:29 AM
It got stuck in a large boulder on the property and no one can seem to pull it out. :kicking:

oneforone
09-11-2009, 11:23 PM
It got stuck in a large boulder on the property and no one can seem to pull it out. :kicking:

Thanks Metro..... I needed the laugh.

decepticobra
09-12-2009, 05:25 AM
hmmm...never knew fc owned that area west of coltrane. always believed this myth that fc could never expand its park area due to greedy landowners demanding too much money to sell their property to fc.

because it seems that in recent years, anytime fc got a new ride it was always one that occupied very little ground space and basically projected its riders up into the air above the footprint and back down again..not a roller coaster, which takes up excessive ground area.

Thunder
09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
FC just need to have the balls to fight for the expansions west of Coltrane Rd. I believe FC owns that road now? Or OKC took it over? Either way, the nearby homeowners just need to shush up about it. OKC should, and I do mean they SHOULD start to do something that will encourage FC to start expanding out there. It's good for tourist business and for the city with taxes.

I haven't been out there, but I know they removed the Nightmare coaster. Why don't they add another coaster there with tracks extending all around, not just in that spot.

jbrown84
09-12-2009, 03:43 PM
always believed this myth that fc could never expand its park area due to greedy landowners demanding too much money to sell their property to fc.

No, but the nearby neighborhoods have complained about noise.

because it seems that in recent years, anytime fc got a new ride it was always one that occupied very little ground space and basically projected its riders up into the air above the footprint and back down again..not a roller coaster, which takes up excessive ground area.

It's really just a matter of those rides being far, far less expensive than a roller coaster. But also it adds a lot of cost to exand onto new land because you have to add walkways, restrooms, landscaping, and theming to that area in addition to the ride.

FC just need to have the balls to fight for the expansions west of Coltrane Rd. I believe FC owns that road now? Or OKC took it over?

No, Thunder, Frontier City does not own the road. That is a through street for miles to the north and south. Expanding the park itself west of Coltrane would require bridges or tunnels. The park owns the land north of their parking lot, and that area would make more sense for expansion. The parking could be relocated west of Coltrane.

Thunder
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Good idea to relocate the parking to west of Coltrane and use the old parking to add rides, maybe a coaster or two. As for the other part of the west side, they can use bridges (makes more sense with FC's theme).

I remember somewhere on here, someone posted something about OKC giving FC that section of road. Maybe not.

jbrown84
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I remember somewhere on here, someone posted something about OKC giving FC that section of road. Maybe not.

I highly doubt it because there are some trailer parks and other businesses just north of Frontier City that are accessed from Coltrane and I don't think the city would take away their access from the south.

Jesseda
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
now i wish the plans where to builda large parking lot on the land they own west of coltrane and have trams take the customers to the park, kinda like silver dollar city does, it leaves coltrane open. but the owners need to spend some cash fist, plus with the new the parking lot area, they could built there concert and picnic area in that space as well giving up more space for ride expansion.

venture
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately Frontier City is like the 2nd or 3rd largest park operated by PARC Management. So I wouldn't expect a lot of investment since they probably don't have a lot of cash coming in. Looking at their properties, they are mostly family fun centers, go carts, and mini golf attractions. They do have a good line up of water parks too though. However, when it comes to thrill rides or anything else...they are lacking. I doubt they have the $10M or so to pump out for a new coaster anywhere.

http://www.parcmanagement.com/properties.html

Jesseda
09-14-2009, 12:55 PM
well the last coaster the steel lasso was pretty good, and that beat what sixflaggs did the whole time they owned fronteir city, and yet sixflaggs built monster coasters at a lot of their parks, so lets wait and see.. hopefully something good will end up at frontier city, they just need to expand with some good rides

kevinpate
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Some of you may be too young to have ever ridden Nightmare, it was busted for so long. When it was operational, Nightmare was a short, but fun, lil' ride.

jbrown84
09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
well the last coaster the steel lasso was pretty good, and that beat what sixflaggs did the whole time they owned fronteir city,

Six Flags didn't buy Frontier City. It was the other way around.

Thunder
09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Some of you may be too young to have ever ridden Nightmare, it was busted for so long. When it was operational, Nightmare was a short, but fun, lil' ride.

No chit! That coaster was a MONSTER! And I love it! haha Nightmare had the MOST SHARPEST DROP than any of the other coasters. It's just that freaky! What was sad about that coaster was that they did not cover up all the holes on the building, so throughout the years, more sunlight kept coming in.

The most memorable memory of that coaster was a few years ago, when mom and I was next in line. This lady (around teen age or in 20s) got in a car and noticed the safety bar does not close all the way to her legs. She was worried and said to the coaster operator, "If I fall out, I'll sue!" lol That's true, the safety bar only closed halfway, leaving quite a few inches for us to actually lift off the seat.

Also, that coaster is not meant for anyone to raise their hands, especially the part when it spirals, because of the extreme limited space in between tracks and steel bars. It was scary, since I'm tall, that I'll hit my head. lol

JohnDenver
09-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Six Flags didn't buy Frontier City. It was the other way around.

Well, the company that owned FC bought Six Flags. That is interesting though. Then Six Flags sold off FC.

So it is confusing, to say the least.

venture
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, the company that owned FC bought Six Flags. That is interesting though. Then Six Flags sold off FC.

So it is confusing, to say the least.

The company, Premiere Parks, which happened to have its HQ's on the south section of Frontier City.

jbrown84
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeah it's a little confusing. Premiere Parks started with just Frontier City, accumulated others including Darien Lake in Buffalo and Elitch Gardens in Denver, then bought out Six Flags from Warner Bros.

Six Flags was then headquartered in Oklahoma City for several years. Despite that fact, FC was pretty neglected in favor of the larger parks. Then Gary Story, the genius behind the company's growth stepped down for health reasons, the company struggled, and some major shareholders staged a hostile takeover. This lead to new leadership being brought in and they were the ones that pulled out of OKC.

MikeOKC
09-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah it's a little confusing. Premiere Parks started with just Frontier City, accumulated others including Darien Lake in Buffalo and Elitch Gardens in Denver, then bought out Six Flags from Warner Bros.

Six Flags was then headquartered in Oklahoma City for several years. Despite that fact, FC was pretty neglected in favor of the larger parks. Then Gary Story, the genius behind the company's growth stepped down for health reasons, the company struggled, and some major shareholders staged a hostile takeover. This lead to new leadership being brought in and they were the ones that pulled out of OKC.

That's a pretty good summation. The two guys from Tierco Properties really fixed the place up, what, circa 1981 or so? They then offered a boat load of money to Gary Story to manage the entertainment part of Tierco (renamed Premier Parks). The two original guys who saved FC from becoming a strip center (literally) left around 1990 or so. Story never had the support after they left, the remaining people started getting greedy, neglected FC, began purchasing other parks and made some truly horrible financial mistakes, including the purchase of Six Flags, Inc. which was already bleeding money at the time.

Jesseda
09-15-2009, 07:28 AM
well thats the past, hope the future is better for fc, but doesnt look like it :(..... but still taking the kids next weekend since i have a season pass, the kids love it age 3 and 4.. there is abouy 5 kiddie rides, wish they could have adeda little bit more

kd5ili
09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
They should invest in one of those NASCAR Speed Parks (NASCAR SpeedParks - Home (http://www.nascarspeedpark.com/)) in the OKC area. As big as NASCAR is in this part of the country, it would be a huge success.