View Full Version : I will ALWAYS be an OKIE

Pages : [1] 2

ktybug
09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey ya'll! I'm Kat and am a born and bred Okie now living in the most backwards and ignorant state in the Union, Georgia.

Read a comment on here about the OTasco stores. Maybe I can help you out with some names. The original Otasco store was at 4th and Broadway across from the original Oklahoma Times/Oklahoman building. Newscaster Oglesby Sr. shopped there and bought toys for his son now broadcasting. I should know, the salesperson was my Mom.

In the early sixties, OTASCO moved to their location on 25th Street across from the old Kress. The store manager's name was Ike Nevore. My mother was the first woman salesperson ever hired by this company in Chickasha in 1942. She retired after 37 years of service. My parents owned associate stores, they would be known as franchises today, in Oklahoma,Arkansas and New Mexico. Very ahead of their time. I worked there also from the age of 14, starting with being the "toy girl" I set all the toy displays for Christmas. What great memories.

My Aunt worked for Cecil's Womens wear in Capitol Hill for 40 years. We attended Capitol Hill Methodist. That was the Hey Day for the Capitol Hill area. If you could not find what you wanted there, you were not looking hard enough.

My family are all from Poccasset,Minco, Chickasha and every point in between. I am a '73 graduate of Moore High School. Loved draging 12th street and 59th! Anybody remember the Big W and Brachs Big Chicken along with the TeePee drive-in in Moore? How about the Across the Street restaurant and Dotson's cafeteria?

Generals64
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey ya'll! I'm Kat and am a born and bred Okie now living in the most backwards and ignorant state in the Union, Georgia.

Read a comment on here about the OTasco stores. Maybe I can help you out with some names. The original Otasco store was at 4th and Broadway across from the original Oklahoma Times/Oklahoman building. Newscaster Oglesby Sr. shopped there and bought toys for his son now broadcasting. I should know, the salesperson was my Mom.

In the early sixties, OTASCO moved to their location on 25th Street across from the old Kress. The store manager's name was Ike Nevore. My mother was the first woman salesperson ever hired by this company in Chickasha in 1942. She retired after 37 years of service. My parents owned associate stores, they would be known as franchises today, in Oklahoma,Arkansas and New Mexico. Very ahead of their time. I worked there also from the age of 14, starting with being the "toy girl" I set all the toy displays for Christmas. What great memories.

My Aunt worked for Cecil's Womens wear in Capitol Hill for 40 years. We attended Capitol Hill Methodist. That was the Hey Day for the Capitol Hill area. If you could not find what you wanted there, you were not looking hard enough.

My family are all from Poccasset,Minco, Chickasha and every point in between. I am a '73 graduate of Moore High School. Loved draging 12th street and 59th! Anybody remember the Big W and Brachs Big Chicken along with the TeePee drive-in in Moore? How about the Across the Street restaurant and Dotson's cafeteria?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All right girl:.....start sharing even though you are just a child.....You can't drag 12th anymore......you'll get a ticket....wait you'll get a bunch of tickets..

Martin
09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
anybody remember the big w and brachs big chicken along with the teepee drive-in in moore?

can't say i've ever heard of those... where were they at? -M

HVAC Instructor
09-09-2009, 09:36 AM

My sympathies Kat. I escaped Georgia in 2007. Where in Georgia are you? Some areas are more bass ackwards than others, while the Atlanta area is full of northerners just as ignorant as southerners, but who are deluded into thinking themselves superior...makes for an interesting mix. Certainly more arse-holes per square mile in Ga. than OK, LOL!

metro
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Actually Okie's moved to California.............. Be a proud Oklahoman!

mugofbeer
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I imagine there are parts of SE OK that rival the parts of rural Georgia I saw up NW of Atlanta. The valley's are up to date and pretty modern, but drive the ridgetops and it is a whole different world. I never saw so many half-buried white painted truck tires being used as formal gateway's into people's yards (this is not an exaggeration).

ktybug
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Whatch' wanna know? All of my memories are great. Got to ride Grand Entry once when the National Finals rodeo still new where to come. It was the night Reba sang the National Anthem on the back of a hay truck. Who knew??? We were only in our teens but looked much older. Got drunk as a skunk, went to Cowtown and danced with the cowboys in the ally dive known as the Charter Club. Used to work at the Langston's on 25th. Even my Georgia Boy husband loves to shop there. Best Luchese boots he ever bought!

ktybug
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I believe they were either on Whatley that runs out to 4th street or one of the other side streets right there. You could walk from the REAL Junior High, cut through Central Elementary and be there to eat lunch. The big chicken was really a huge white chicken and they served broasted chicken. They went out of business when Buchanan's started making it cheaper. The TeePee was just that, had and order and take out window. Best chili dog in town. The Big W drive in was on Broadway on the east side, just before 4th street if I remember correctly.

ktybug
09-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Looking at your logo, were you at Hunter, Ft Stewart or Paris Island? I work in Savannah, but we live about 40 miles from there. I worked for the AG for the State of Oklahoma in travel and mobility. Met my spouse at an after action party for Coronet Sentry, he was flying with OKC airguards sister unit here in Savannah at Travis field. By the way, escape is the operative word here. But I have been here so long, as my sister says, we are girls with out a state. We are not absorbed in to the state we live in and all of our hook ups in OKC wouldn't know us if we bit them. So, we want to retire to Jacksonville beaches and be the old drunks that just have fun.

ktybug
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Oh, just come to Savannah and I can show you within 45 minutes some backwoods stuff that will make you hear banjo music! Okie's are just redneck country folks and for the most part have the best and sweetest hearts any where. Here, pardon my analogy, but the Civil War just ended and we are still not sure if the money is any good!

USG '60
09-09-2009, 02:24 PM

My family are all from Poccasset,Minco, Chickasha and every point in between. I am a '73 graduate of Moore High School. Loved draging 12th street and 59th! Anybody remember the Big W and Brachs Big Chicken along with the TeePee drive-in in Moore? How about the Across the Street restaurant and Dotson's cafeteria?Having worked at both Waintroob's and David's Menswear down the block from Cecil's for several years, I knew and loved everyone at Cecil's. That WAS an amazing store in the world. When you walked in you got hugs from everyone. Cecil was a wonderful man and no one ever quit or was fired. I am embarrrassed but the only saleslady whose name I remember was Shores. Who was your aunt? My wife saw Celia Nell (Cecil's daughter) this past week end and she said her mom (Sally) is 99 and still as mean as ever (as opposed to Cecil).

old okie
09-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Did you know anything of the OTASCO or Veazey's Drug Store at 25th & Robinson in Capitol Hill? My husband's mom worked at the Veazey's for years. He went there all the time as a kid and teen.

progressiveboy
09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh, just come to Savannah and I can show you within 45 minutes some backwoods stuff that will make you hear banjo music! Okie's are just redneck country folks and for the most part have the best and sweetest hearts any where. Here, pardon my analogy, but the Civil War just ended and we are still not sure if the money is any good! Yes, however Savannah has "far more" charm than OKC will ever have! I am an Okie but prefer the glorious grand old oaks covered in spanish moss and magnolias, old south cooking, sipping a little Southern Comfort (lol). Nothing finer than the grand old South in my opinion.

USG '60
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes, however Savannah has "far more" charm than OKC will ever have! I am an Okie but prefer the glorious grand old oaks covered in spanish moss and magnolias, old south cooking, sipping a little Southern Comfort (lol). Nothing finer than the grand old South in my opinion.

Hmmm, ...doesn't sound very progressive to me. :ohno: Just an observation you understand.

papaOU
09-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Yes, however Savannah has "far more" charm than OKC will ever have! I am an Okie but prefer the glorious grand old oaks covered in spanish moss and magnolias, old south cooking, sipping a little Southern Comfort (lol). Nothing finer than the grand old South in my opinion.

Shouldn' that be the "balmy south?"

progressiveboy
09-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Hmmm, ...doesn't sound very progressive to me. :ohno: Just an observation you understand. Well differences of opinions, I guess. When I think of Oklahoma, it reminds me of plain, midwestern dowdiness.

stick47
09-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Sad event when the 4th & Broadway Otasco store burned. I was part of the crew that went there & salvaged what remained of the contents. I worked in the Stockyards City store, Mayfair, Eastgate (10th & Midwest Blvd) and the Warr Acres stores. (Mr Ogle was a regular customer there also)
This forums' SoonerQueen's Father & Husband are also former Otasco employees.

decepticobra
09-10-2009, 06:36 AM

tell your governor i hate the new flag.

ktybug
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Her name is Nevelyn. She always wore her hair in an updo and her favorite line was "come her and give me a hug and a sugar". She and Cecil always had a close relationship. When Cecelia was very young (19 or 20) one year she came back from Market in Dallas with the most remarkable sketches she had done. Cecil put them up in the shop forever. Wish I had one. Her artistic talent was stellar. You probably knew my Dad, he only shopped at Mr. Buck or David's. His last name was Yates, tall and almost bald with a mustache and a wicked sense of humor.

ktybug
09-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, if you isolate yourself in the Historic District here, you will still find that. I must admit that the historic preservation folks have done a fabulous job. In addition, the Savannah College of Art and Design has bought and restored many beautiful examples of 18 and 19th Century archetecture. As far and the Southern comfort, a cold brew is far more refreshing.

ktybug
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
They are great memories. You knew my Mom, she was the only female at 25th. Worked her butt off and out sold all the boys and they were always mad about it. I have seen folks stand in line to have her wait on them. Great lessons in customer service that have not been seen since. What years did you work there?

ktybug
09-10-2009, 05:26 PM
we did and we hate it too. So all of our friends and my husband that have Civil War connections have opted to purchase the confederat Veterans tag with the stars and bars. Bring it back with a rebel yell!!

ktybug
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
yes ma'am. the OTASCO store on 25th is the one I am speaking of. My Mom was the only female sales person there. I am with your husband, I always wanted to go to Veazey's. I loved the one on the North side too, was that on Classen? The sign was huge and all neon.

Generals64
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
yes ma'am. the OTASCO store on 25th is the one I am speaking of. My Mom was the only female sales person there. I am with your husband, I always wanted to go to Veazey's. I loved the one on the North side too, was that on Classen? The sign was huge and all neon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was Veazey's drug Store in the old Airline Shopping Center. I remember
Mr. Veazey would always give you a sucker if you were in the store with your parents and would always give you a smile if you weren't.....There was a Veazey's drug on North Western also.....It's now a pretty neat hangout...VZD at about 42nd and Western....

Prunepicker
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
yes ma'am. the OTASCO store on 25th is the one I am speaking of. My Mom
was the only female sales person there. I am with your husband, I always
wanted to go to Veazey's. I loved the one on the North side too, was that on
Classen? The sign was huge and all neon.
Ktybug, puh-leez include part of the post to which you're referencing. I'm
bouncing back and forth trying to find out to whom you're replying.

'jes hit quote.

:backtotop

papaOU
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
'jes hit quote.

:backtotop[/QUOTE]

I jest hit quote..............

Now what do I do?????????????:sofa:

papaOU
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
'jes hit quote.

:backtotop[/QUOTE]

I jes hit quote...............

Now what do i do???????????????

USG '60
09-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Her name is Nevelyn. She always wore her hair in an updo and her favorite line was "come her and give me a hug and a sugar". She and Cecil always had a close relationship. When Cecelia was very young (19 or 20) one year she came back from Market in Dallas with the most remarkable sketches she had done. Cecil put them up in the shop forever. Wish I had one. Her artistic talent was stellar. You probably knew my Dad, he only shopped at Mr. Buck or David's. His last name was Yates, tall and almost bald with a mustache and a wicked sense of humor.

Nevelyn. Absolutely.

Yates by itself does not ring a bell. What was his first name?

QueCeraCera
09-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Surely with your affinity for a nice cold beer, you find GA not so backwoods as OK.

papaOU
09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
As I said earlier, a modern Okie is a wetback that makes it through texass!!

bluedogok
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I will always be an Okie no matter where I live. Born in Altus and grew up in OKC. I lived in Oklahoma for 34 years, had 2 in Dallas and now just over 6 in Austin...One thing that I do know, I will NEVER consider myself a Texan no matter how long I live here.

USG '60
09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I will always be an Okie no matter where I live. Born in Altus and grew up in OKC. I lived in Oklahoma for 34 years, had 2 in Dallas and now just over 6 in Austin...One thing that I do know, I will NEVER consider myself a Texan no matter how long I live here.

I hear ya'll had a bit of a shower today. :sofa:

Prunepicker
09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I wasn't born in Oklahoma. I'm a prunepicker and it's far, far better to be
living here!

papaOU
09-11-2009, 11:22 PM
What was it Will Rogers said?

During the dust-bowl only the dumb people of Oklahoma headed to California...........

And it increased the IQ of both states.

not exact quote but you get the idea......

oneforone
09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I lived outside of Oklahoma for five years. I lived in California and Mississippi. When I left, I wanted nothing more than to leave this place and never return. After a couple years, I missed this state like an old lost love.

I will always be an OKIE because,

We expeirence three-four months of all four seasons.

The cost of living is not all that bad.

The people here are real and they have a since of helping others when disaster strikes.

Rush hour only happens twice a day M-F 7-8:30 mornings, 4:30-6 evenings.

When you want to get away, all you have to is point your car in any direction and your bound for beautiful scenery.

90% of my family is here, it's nice to be able to make the holiday rounds and still be home before 9pm.

Most of all, I like that people are generally happy here. Only a select few are hell bent people out rain on everyone else's parade.

Prunepicker
09-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I will always be an OKIE because,

We experience three-four months of all four seasons.

The cost of living is not all that bad.

The people here are real and they have a since of helping others when
disaster strikes.

Rush hour only happens twice a day M-F 7-8:30 mornings, 4:30-6
evenings.

When you want to get away, all you have to is point your car in any
direction and your bound for beautiful scenery.

Most of all, I like that people are generally happy here. Only a select few
are hell bent people out rain on everyone else's parade.

Good points!
All four seasons and a good cost of living!

We certainly go out of our way to help our own and others.

Rush hour?

Prunette and I like the fact that we can be in Santa Fe, Denver, Kansas
City, Memphis and Dallas in short order.

The naysayers don't realize how good we have it and aren't worth wasting
the time of day.
of day

ktybug
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Ktybug, puh-leez include part of the post to which you're referencing. I'm
bouncing back and forth trying to find out to whom you're replying.

'jes hit quote.

:backtotop

Sorry, I wondered why the replys looked weird. thanks for the tips, I'll do better. told you I lived in Ga too long.

papaOU
10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Watching Monday Night Football and foundout that the Minnesota Vikings have an offensive play called "The Big Okie"

gen70
10-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Just trivia, but Jimmy Johnson of NASCAR mentioned Sun. his wife is from Oklahoma.

PennyQuilts
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
The official paperwork was signed and delivered today - we are coming home! yeah!

kevinpate
10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
We'll leave the lite on for you

PennyQuilts
10-06-2009, 07:35 PM
:Smiley112

gen70
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
That is "HUGE".... Hope comming "HOME"...."IS PERFECT"....

Prunepicker
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
The official paperwork was signed and delivered today - we are coming home!
yeah!
Hoorah! That's grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

USG '60
10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Velcome home, darlink.

papaOU
10-06-2009, 11:06 PM
The official paperwork was signed and delivered today - we are coming home! yeah!

Does that mean I am about to leave this world?

The woman with the make out spots........

Pole dancing at Albertson's(?)..........

And a 17 year old exotic dancer...............

Be still my heart...................

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 04:28 AM
I am excited to come home.

But Pole dancing at Albertsons??? And I was SIXTEEN when asked to dance and it skairt me to pieces. NO WAY! And as for the make out spots, I said I'd HEARD of them but didn't know where they were.

I am afraid I am going to be much more boring than all that stuff suggests...

USG '60
10-07-2009, 05:23 AM

But Pole dancing at Albertsons??? And I was SIXTEEN when asked to dance and it skairt me to pieces. NO WAY! And as for the make out spots, I said I'd HEARD of them but didn't know where they were.

What will your new user name be? Southwest Okie lacks a certain ....oh, I dunno .... a certain SOMEthing. Wait, I got it... EX East Coast Okie ...DUH !!!
When does this happen, by the way? Your fans will want to meet you at the Bus Station, ya know. :kicking:

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 05:45 AM
I have been wondering what to change my handle to. I am afraid SOMEONE on the board would switch EX East Coast Okie to EX RATED East Coast Okie and we can't have that. <smile> I'll figure something out. It will probably be something fairly humdrum related to my dogs or my quilting. We'll see what Pete has to say.

We are thinking we'll probably get back in December but it could be as early as November or as late as early January. It would be tons easier to show the house with the dogs not here and boxes sitting around everywhere (I've been packing for a couple of months). We're leaving enough furniture back east that the place wouldn't look completely abandoned.

kevinpate
10-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Could always follow Prince's lead, get yerself a cool lil' cymbol ava and set
yer user name as TPFKAECO

Now that you've definitely decided to Get Smart, you can be Agent , oh wait, no telling where that might go with this crowd, scrub that one & quick.

Aw hells bells, just git yerself on back when y'all can I suppose.

papaOU
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM

No way! Boring is not a part of this group.

We will have to go and check-out these make-out spots,,,,,

See if they are still there and "secure".....

PennyQuilts
10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Pete let me change my screen name to PennyQuilts - Thanks Pete! That is the name of my blog so it is easy for me to remember. You can tell that's me because of the picture of the dog with her mouth running (that's actually Pearl).

USG '60
10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Pete let me change my screen name to PennyQuilts - Thanks Pete! That is the name of my blog so it is easy for me to remember. You can tell that's me because of the picture of the dog with her mouth running (that's actually Pearl).

Well, Penny,you have a very good looking blog with some lovely quilts. When you get home if you have problems finding other quilters to "play" with, just holler. We have several quilting friends two of which are world class.

papaOU
10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, Penny,you have a very good looking blog with some lovely quilts. When you get home if you have problems finding other quilters to "play" with, just holler. We have several quilting friends two of which are world class.

I think 64's wife is a quilter.....

You can have your comforter...

Give me a quilt every time......

My Mother and some women met once a week and quilted......

They called it the "Stitch and Bitch Club"

PennyQuilts
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, 64's Mrs. is a dang good quilter.

Stitch and Bitch Clubs have been around a long time but you aren't supposed to know that is what they are called. <grin>

Generals64
03-12-2010, 09:03 AM
O.K. ktyBug started this thread that she would "Always be and OKIE".....Where is she????.....Get her Okie Blood stirred up.....And Pennyquilts.....where have you been?....Remember since you moved back to Our Great State....We have Hay to bale and Haul and stack....Don't forget to get your Garden Started...Must can at least 500 cans this season.....Why do they call it Canning when you use Jars?????...Soonergirl26 has to get her Garden planted also. PapaOU has his planted all the time.....Don't want to go and help him harvest.....
Trying to be silly but, when I lived in Texas...the local Marijauna Growers dad came in one time and was braggin about how his son enjoy planting , baling and hauling hay....Right????...This guy planted about 200 acres of Hay ... this was part of his yearly living....right in the middle of the field the son would plant about 3 acres (right acres) of Marijuana.....When it came time to bale everything the son and his friends always volunteered to do the work.....and, by accident, they needed to borrow a trailer for hauling and I loaned them one....They pulled that particular trailer in one of my barns and guess what was there.....Talk about panic....I called him and gave him a very, very short time to get his "Cash Crop" out of my barn and off my trailer.....Didn't know the local Constable was one of his partners.....They would have all they wanted to Smoke or whatever and to sell for their yearly income..... they would get about forty to fifty "Heavy" bales each year.....NOT FUNNY EITHER....

Prunepicker
03-12-2010, 09:17 PM
O.K. ktyBug started this thread that she would "Always be and OKIE".
Where is she? Get her Okie Blood stirred up...
Just like TeriOKC. I bet they're the same person.

And Pennyquilts... where have you been? Remember since you moved back
to Our Great State we have Hay to bale and Haul and stack. Don't forget
to get your Garden Started... Must can at least 500 cans this season...
Why do they call it Canning when you use Jars? Soonergirl26 has to get her
Garden planted also. PapaOU has his planted all the time... Don't want to
go and help him harvest...

Hey, we started our garden last month with potatoes and onions. Today
Prunette and her sewing friend planted carrots, peas, lettuce and spinach.

papaOU
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Just like TeriOKC. I bet they're the same person.

Hey, we started our garden last month with potatoes and onions. Today
Prunette and her sewing friend planted carrots, peas, lettuce and spinach.

What? No Japanese tomato plants?

gen70
03-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I will always be an OKIE because my relatives lay in Oklahoma soil.(RIP)

PennyQuilts
03-13-2010, 06:26 AM
I cannot believe it is already gardening season. Actually, all we ever grow are tomatoes so that kind of explains it since it isn't time to plant them. We've had so much to do getting settled in that I'm worried we will miss a season. We need to put in some raised beds. Did pick up some weed and feed, yesterday. My bluebird houses are up and being ignored.