View Full Version : Only Oklahoma!

Karried
09-08-2009, 10:18 AM
If it wasn't already enough of a distraction for the students and teachers... Oklahoma had to run a stupid test right in the middle of the Obama speech. They probably did it on purpose. :fighting2

Jesseda
09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
for some reason moore school is out for today here is what the web site says (September 8th is a scheduled Site Improvement Day for the Moore Public Schools. As referenced on our school calendar, school is not in session on this date.) i doubt this has anythin to do with th speech, but it makes u wonder? how long did the schools know that the president might be makinga speech on this date?

westsidesooner
09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
If it wasn't already enough of a distraction for the students and teachers... Oklahoma had to run a stupid test right in the middle of the Obama speech. They probably did it on purpose. :fighting2

If you are talking about the EBS test I agree it is annoying. I believe that they (cox) do the test on a regular "weekly" basis. The test is required by the FCC if Im not mistaken. And if Im not mistaken again I believe it is around 11 "ish" every time I hear it. But yes its annoying and I have complained about it for months. Luckily if you pause your program you wont hear the tone and message, and it wont show up if you record the program. Not that helps with your frustration of having a very good speech interrupted.

I was curious how many school district in Oklahoma refused to let the kids watch it. I saw something on the news this morning where some school districts in Texas were refusing to show the speech and if the parents held their children out of school to watch it they would get an unexcused absence. So much for respect of the president.

fromdust
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
our lord and savior gives a speech and in some cases kids arent allowed to watch it. what gives? i wonder if the same complaints on these boards from certain people would have been done when the last idiot prez was in office? doubt it.

westsidesooner
09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
our lord and savior gives a speech and in some cases kids arent allowed to watch it. what gives? i wonder if the same complaints on these boards from certain people would have been done when the last idiot prez was in office? doubt it.

I wasnt aware he gave a speech.

Lets try not to be blasphemous.

My point was that I thought it was odd that school districts didnt want the children to watch the President give a speech about staying in school. Doesnt matter who the President is.....thats odd.

rondvu
09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
PER; http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Emergency:Broadcast:System.html

The Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) was initiated in 1963 at the height of the civil defense era, to allow the president to address the entire nation in an emergency. The EBS was later further expanded through an interagency effort with the FCC, and the National Weather Service (NWS), to permit the system to be used for state and local emergencies. EBS was replaced by the Emergency Alert System (EAS) in 1997.

The system was never used for a nuclear emergency, though it was activated more than 20,000 times between 1976 and 1996 to broadcast civil emergency messages and warnings of severe weather hazards.

Until the system was superceded, radio and television stations were required to perform the Weekly Transmission Test Of The Attention Signal and Test Script a minimum of once a week at random days and times between 8:30 A.M and local sunset, unless during the test week, they have activated the EBS for a state or local emergency or participated in a coordinated State or local EBS test.
1 Test procedure

1) Normal programming is suspended.

2) The announcement written below is transmitted. "This is a test. This station is conducting a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test."

3) The special attention signal is sent. Broadcast the two-tone Attention signal from the EBS encoder for 20 to 25 seconds.

4) The announcement written below is transmitted. "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. The broadcasters of your area in voluntary cooperation with the Federal, State and local authorities have developed this system to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions. This station serves the (name of operational area) area. This concludes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System."

The purpose of the test was to allow the proper functioning of EBS tone transmitters and decoders to be verified. In addition to the weekly test, test activations of the entire system were conducted periodically for some years before being discontinued. These tests showed that about 80% of broadcast outlets nationwide would carry emergency programming within a period of five minutes when the system was activated.

Variations of the above announcement were heard in different parts of the country. At least one version made explicit reference to an attack on the United States as being a possible scenario for EBS activation. The annoucement text was mandated by the FCC, including the "voluntary cooperation" clause, which was not true, as broadcast outlets were required by law to participate.

The weekly broadcast of the EBS test message made it part of the U.S. cultural fabric of the era.

Midtowner
09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
The question that's been bothering me about this is this:

WHY THE HELL DOES ANYONE CARE?

Karried
09-08-2009, 02:17 PM
About what?

If you are talking about the Oklahoma EBS interrupting the President's speech today... I care!

The sound was lost, the interruption ruined the message and it distracted the kids who were trying to pay attention to the message from the President of the United States.

I thought it was ironic (and I'm more than little suspicious) that it had to happen right smack dab in the middle of the speech (that most of Oklahoma didn't want their kids to see or hear).

I am wondering if someone at the station was able to manually program the test.

Jesseda
09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
to me it was very rude they did a broadcast test during the president, i was excited that president was going to talk to our children, i think it should be more often if you ask me, it makes our children feel important, as long as politics is not involved then why not.

metro
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
About what?

If you are talking about the Oklahoma EBS interrupting the President's speech today... I care!

The sound was lost, the interruption ruined the message and it distracted the kids who were trying to pay attention to the message from the President of the United States.

I thought it was ironic (and I'm more than little suspicious) that it had to happen right smack dab in the middle of the speech (that most of Oklahoma didn't want their kids to see or hear).

I am wondering if someone at the station was able to manually program the test.

Programming is usually done well in advance and is usually automated or semi automated.

decepticobra
09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
all these posts. im betting cox's customer service phone lines are jammed. im about to checkout their website and see if they posted any idiotic apologetic message about it.

....nope, no message there regarding it. that blows.

man, Cox sucks,.umm, uhh...ahem!

Bunty
09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
The question that's been bothering me about this is this:

WHY THE HELL DOES ANYONE CARE?

Because some people are concerned that some of the students who listened to Obama speak are high school students, many of who will vote for the first time in 2012. So there is concern that Obama is trying to get these students impressed about him, so they will feel like voting for his reelection in 2012. It's felt that it's just an underhanded political scheme being perpetrated. It would not have been felt that way by conservative Oklahomans if the president was a Republican making a speech to school children.

Karried
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
man, Cox sucks,.umm, uhh...ahem!

Cox had nothing to do with it.

Thunder
09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I think there is something evil about this coming from Obama and his team. There could be people trasmitting soundwaves or something thru his speech that implants into the children's brains. At his re-election time, whatever was implanted in their brains could be activated somehow to convert their brains more like a robot to only vote for one person only and that is Obama.

Just a thought.

mugofbeer
09-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Because some people are concerned that some of the students who listened to Obama speak are high school students, many of who will vote for the first time in 2012. So there is concern that Obama is trying to get these students impressed about him, so they will feel like voting for his reelection in 2012. It's felt that it's just an underhanded political scheme being perpetrated. It would not have been felt that way by conservative Oklahomans if the president was a Republican making a speech to school children.

I seem to recall the major news networks refusing to carry the press conferences and speeches of Pres. Bush on several occasions. I see Obama on prime time more than 2 1/2 Men! And they say there is no media bias!

Lord Helmet
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
our lord and savior gives a speech and in some cases kids arent allowed to watch it. what gives?

Santa Clause was speaking?

MadMonk
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Santa is your lord and savior? Hell, all I ever got was socks and underwear. :LolLolLol

kd5ili
10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Santa is your lord and savior? Hell, all I ever got was socks and underwear. :LolLolLol

I got a cool train set, so he get's my vote.

-Chris-