View Full Version : What Ever Became of Palm Readers?

Bunty
09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
What ever became of palm readers in Oklahoma? I never see any with their signs out. Years ago when I didn't know where my life was going and was needing hope and direction, I went to one. She was right on with about all of things she saw about me, but I remember her best for assuring me that I would find a career within one year. As it turned out she was quite right.

Oh, well, maybe palm readers got banned from Oklahoma. I know not all make a good impression as to their supposed abilities. The only other one I went to simply asked me some questions and made good judgments about what my life was like and then said she saw other things, but would first before telling me would need another $50 or whatever it was. I declined.

USG '60
09-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Bunt, about 30 years ago a fiance dragged me to see her dear friend the palm reader. After a lot of ooos and ahs she stated, "Saundra, you have found the PERFECT man." Four years later I married another woman but then discovered that a woman who worked where I was at the time was a palm reader, so I told her what had been told about me. She asked to see my hands, looked at them a minute or two and said, "She was wrong." I think she was a quack and the first one was a genuine expert. :rolleyes: :Smiley181 :Smiley036

kevinpate
09-06-2009, 05:13 AM
I suppose they all went on the internet so they could ding your provided cc instead of having to try to pry your wallet open. Never paid to have my palms read, but as I live in Oklahoma, I've never had a shortage of folks who thought they knew exactly where I was going or what hand basket I'd been stuffed into.

dismayed
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Palm reading is illegal in Oklahoma... that's probably why you don't see them anymore.

HVAC Instructor
09-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Palm reading is illegal in Oklahoma... that's probably why you don't see them anymore.

It is?? There's one in Edmond advertising with a neon sign on 15th street right now.

Linda's Natural Born Psychic Reading in Edmond,*OK*|*33 East 15th Street,*Edmond,*OK (http://www.superpages.com/bp/Edmond-OK/Lindas-Natural-Born-Psychic-Reading-L2052387200.htm)

And I reckon these folks in the yello pages didn't know it was illegal either:

Oklahoma City Psychics & Mediums in Oklahoma City OK Yellow Pages by SuperPages (http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Psychics+&+Mediums/S-OK/T-Oklahoma+City/)

LMAO
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Palm readers often get things right, they can be uncanny how they can see the future, I had one once that told me she sensed I would die at around 78 years of age!

OKCisOK4me
09-06-2009, 02:59 PM
They can't be illegal. There's one that set up shop in a house that's zoned commercially on the SE corner of NW 36th and Meridian Avenue. I just noticed it a few weeks ago, so probably a new location. I don't know how old the business is though or where it was before.

gmwise
09-06-2009, 03:19 PM
There are northside too..like nichols hills and western ave folks use them.

dismayed
09-06-2009, 06:36 PM
They can't be illegal. There's one that set up shop in a house that's zoned commercially on the SE corner of NW 36th and Meridian Avenue. I just noticed it a few weeks ago, so probably a new location. I don't know how old the business is though or where it was before.

I believe there's a statute against it, but maybe it isn't being enforced. Perhaps one of our resident lawyers can clarify.

Also last year, Louisiana's Livingston Parish made soothsaying, fortunetelling, palm reading and crystal-ball gazing illegal; a Wiccan minister filed a challenge to the law in federal court.

Other laws are on the books or have been challenged in Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida, North Carolina and Oklahoma, said Charles Haynes, a senior scholar with the First Amendment Center in Washington.

Governing.com: 13th Floor: But Then Again You Probably Already Knew This (http://13thfloor.governing.com/2008/09/but-then-again.html)

metro
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Palm readers often get things right, they can be uncanny how they can see the future, I had one once that told me she sensed I would die at around 78 years of age!

Too bad they can't see winning lottery numbers, etc.... You couldn't pay me to go to a palm reader, but I've seen several around the inner city area north of I-40 around 10th, 23rd, Reno, Council, Meridian, MacArthur area.

wheltzel
09-08-2009, 01:27 PM
It's too bad these skunks are allowed to even breathe.

If you let one of them get near you, check your wallet before you leave. You'd be better off sending your hard earned money to the likes of Jim Bakker.

Don't ask how I know. Let's just say that I do and leave it at that.

SoonerDave
09-10-2009, 08:42 AM
It's too bad these skunks are allowed to even breathe.

If you let one of them get near you, check your wallet before you leave. You'd be better off sending your hard earned money to the likes of Jim Bakker.

Don't ask how I know. Let's just say that I do and leave it at that.

I am positively stunned that these charlatans are able to maintain a business. Absolutely stunned.

I know there are some poeple that will visit them for entertainment purposes, but there are some who really believe you can see the future in hand lines, which is beyond shocking to me...

HVAC Instructor
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I am positively stunned that these charlatans are able to maintain a business. Absolutely stunned.

I know there are some poeple that will visit them for entertainment purposes, but there are some who really believe you can see the future in hand lines, which is beyond shocking to me...

What's the difference in a palm reader and a preacher? Both tell stories that can't be verified and predict the future, and both take peoples money. Lots of people go to church to be entertained, and others are real believers.

Not a lot of difference there.

PennyQuilts
09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
HVAC, if that is how you view preachers, it is no wonder you are so down on religion. Perhaps you are thinking of televangelists or something?

Most preachers double as pastors and comparing them to palm readers is like comparing a dog walker with a vet. Most preachers teach, counsel, administer churches and have a staff to provide services to their congregation. They conduct weddings, funerals, baptisms, go to community events, sit with the sick in hospitals, hold the hands of bereaved spouses and parents who have lost a child. And that is just the beginning. To denigrate what they do HAS to be simple ignorance because it is so off base.

I will never forget the kindness shown to my family by the clergy when we lost my sister in a car accident. To equate their role with that of a palm reader is just ignorant. I am sorry you apparently haven't had the benefit of receiving kindness from the clergy when you needed it. You are beginning to sound more and more like those poor kids that were abused by a preacher and hate the church, thereafter. Not saying you are in that boat but a lot of my clients who hate the church and seem fixated on that the way you do had that terrible experience. Preachers who do that not only steal the innocence of a child, they rob him of the comfort of faith. There is a special place in hell for them.

HVAC Instructor
09-10-2009, 12:11 PM
HVAC, if that is how you view preachers, it is no wonder you are so down on religion.

Just drawing one general comparison to another.

Many churches I used to attend spend much more time and money on entertainment of the congregation than anything else. It's kind of like a local "America's Got Talent" show. Gotta draw 'em in to pay for that new building, parking lot and audio/video system. But hey, that's cool. Not knocking it, just making an observation.

You sure do draw a lot of conclusions based on a sentence or two. Hmmmm...are you a wannabe mind reader?

decepticobra
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
i went to a palm reader once and she told me i could locate my missing bicycle in the basement of the Alamo in San Antonio.

...weird.

PennyQuilts
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Just drawing one general comparison to another.

Many churches I used to attend spend much more time and money on entertainment of the congregation than anything else. It's kind of like a local "America's Got Talent" show. Gotta draw 'em in to pay for that new building, parking lot and audio/video system. But hey, that's cool. Not knocking it, just making an observation.

You sure do draw a lot of conclusions based on a sentence or two. Hmmmm...are you a wannabe mind reader?

Palm reader. Checking out the competition...

kevinpate
09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I suppose the recently resigned spank happy legislizard in Cali was a palm redder

PennyQuilts
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh Kevin.

HVAC Instructor
09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I suppose the recently resigned spank happy legislizard in Cali was a palm redder

Maybe a hiney redder too.

SoonerDave
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
What's the difference in a palm reader and a preacher? Both tell stories that can't be verified and predict the future, and both take peoples money. Lots of people go to church to be entertained, and others are real believers.

Not a lot of difference there.

Man, what church burned you, HVAC? Or are you just acting like a troll?

Your bigoted view of preachers is really disappointing, so I have to believe it comes from some bad experience, and I'm sorry for that. I have a feeling you've opted to smear your attitude drawn from a few TV preachers and just opted to splash that across anyone who calls themselves a "preacher."

Otherwise, the notion of drawing an analogy between the two doesn't even merit acknowledgment, let alone refutation.

HVAC Instructor
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Man, what church burned you, HVAC? Or are you just acting like a troll?

Your bigoted view of preachers is really disappointing, so I have to believe it comes from some bad experience, and I'm sorry for that. I have a feeling you've opted to smear your attitude drawn from a few TV preachers and just opted to splash that across anyone who calls themselves a "preacher."

Otherwise, the notion of drawing an analogy between the two doesn't even merit acknowledgment, let alone refutation.

This is what fascinates me about religion and religious people. Make a joke or off-hand comment about religion, and rather than just having a laugh and not taking it seriously, out comes the "troll" word yet again. It's like fighting words if anyone says anything about religion that religious folk are "offended" by.

But since you asked, no, never been burned by a preacher, and, to use your own phrase, your lack of a sense of humor when it comes to religion is dissapointing. And not to pick on you SD, most religious folk have no sense of humor about their own religions either. Heck, I've been threatened with bodily harm by "Christians" for daring to make a comment they did not approve of. Religion and religious people are humorous to me, simple as that. I realized one day that it was just a fairy tale, like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus that adults were indoctrinated into, usually as children, and nobody ever told them the truth, or they never figured out like kids do, that there is no Santa or Easter Bunny. The "revealed religions" simply have adult versons of Santa and the Easter Bunny. And they (revealed religion believers) continue to get pissed off to the max at people like me, who are just having a laugh from time to time, and at other times would actually like to discuss why people believe what they believe without all the emotion and anger.

I'm sure I'll be attacked and called a "troll" by the usual suspects for answering your question and daring to make anything other than a positive comment about religion. So, have at it.

PennyQuilts
09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
HVAC, you've got a fixation that is surprising in a grown man if it is just for fun. I have to believe there is some damage there because what you are doing is so immature. I can see someone doing this once or twice but you are coming back like a pyromaniac. It is sort of creepy in a grown man. More like what I would expect in an adolescent trying to find his way. Repeatedly attacking religion seems an odd way to inspire discussion and I don't think many people at this point really believe your motives are sincere. You are getting off on this and it is sort of sick, even pathetic.

And I certainly have a sense of humor about my own beliefs so that isn't my motive is saying this. One thing I have noticed is the way you keep attacking the validity of other's beliefs when they push back. If anyone tells you that you don't get it, you repeatedly launch into the argument that their faith must be weak if they can't take the heat. Honestly, there are so many reason beyond that one to defend their beliefs but you keep coming back to that one. That suggests to me that you have some sort of damaged subroutine going on in your brain, truth be told. Because it is such a shallow school yard level response.

At any rate, your fixation isn't healthy and you might want to seek counseling. And I am not not being snarky when I say that. That is all I am going to say to you about this.

HVAC Instructor
09-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm sure I'll be attacked and called a "troll" by the usual suspects for answering your question and daring to make anything other than a positive comment about religion. So, have at it.

Did I nail it or what? Attack! Attack! Attack!

HVAC, you've got a fixation that is surprising in a grown man if it is just for fun. I have to believe there is some damage there because what you are doing is so immature. I can see someone doing this once or twice but you are coming back like a pyromaniac. It is sort of creepy in a grown man. More like what I would expect in an adolescent trying to find his way. Repeatedly attacking religion seems an odd way to inspire discussion and I don't think many people at this point really believe your motives are sincere. You are getting off on this and it is sort of sick, even pathetic.

And I certainly have a sense of humor about my own beliefs so that isn't my motive is saying this. One thing I have noticed is the way you keep attacking the validity of other's beliefs when they push back. If anyone tells you that you don't get it, you repeatedly launch into the argument that their faith must be weak if they can't take the heat. Honestly, there are so many reason beyond that one to defend their beliefs but you keep coming back to that one. That suggests to me that you have some sort of damaged subroutine going on in your brain, truth be told. Because it is such a shallow school yard level response.

At any rate, your fixation isn't healthy and you might want to seek counseling. And I am not not being snarky when I say that. That is all I am going to say to you about this.

Thank you Doctor ECO! LMAO!

See, I find your attacks illogical, yet hilarious... but keep 'em coming!

Who's next?