View Full Version : Park Harvey Sushi and Sports Bar

OKCMallen
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Anyone been yet? It's in the space previously occupied by Gaijin. They tinted the windows pretty heavily and I haven't been inside yet...

FritterGirl
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Truth be told. That's probably the reason I won't go in. I don't know, there's just little appeal (to me) of a street level "sushi-sports bar" (groan) where you can't see what's going on.

Just not really appealing, IMO. Will likely never make it in there, although I did go to gaijin on several occasions.

OKCMallen
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll try to remember to go there for lunch next week and report back. The place is great location for events at the Civic Center or Ford Center. This place opened to very little fanfare or advertising. I doubt anyone hardly knows its there.

metro
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
yeah the decor and street appeal is horrible!

OKCMallen
09-03-2009, 05:13 PM
At least they have a big OKC Thunder neon sign. Maybe I can buy it when they go under? :)

kevinpate
09-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Taking metro at his word, since the decor is horrid, how very thoughtful of them to darken the windows and spare the pedestrians the unsightly views.

JuJuBeans
11-17-2009, 09:40 AM
So, anyone try the sushi at this place yet? I read on the Gazette (I believe last last weeks) it's an 'upscale' sushi bar and sports lounge? I don't quite understand how this restaurant is upscale if it's also a sports lounge.

jbkrems
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Its not a sports lounge, at least not to me. It was a bit upscale, but I would also say it was a stretch. To me, it was not worth the drive downtown, parking, etc., and the high prices. It was over-priced, not worth it. Just my two cents. Thanks.

flippity
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
so, if we want to get over priced sushi we should at least go to Neko for the atmosphere, is that what you're saying?

and did you know that In the Raw has $3.00 rolls for happy hour every weekday?

JuJuBeans
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your opinion. I'm a bit picky when it comes to sushi. Neko's is 50/50 you will either get good sushi or horrible sushi, but surprisingly it has been very good lately when I have gone during the weekends anyways. Tokyo was my favourite, but the quality in their fish has not been fresh at all maybe, their ice box is having issues or something. My hamachi sashimi last time was 'fresh' though.. so fresh that it was served to me almost completely frozen, lol! (two weeks ago) Buddha Tao has amazing salmon every time I have gone, so far..

mooshie
11-18-2009, 03:31 AM
I may be a bit bias because I know the owner, but I think sushi is fairly decent. I don't go too often because I don't go to bricktown that much and parking is so bad.

The sushi is reminds me of Kang's sushi, but with much less sauce on all rolls. I don't really like too much sauce on my sushi because it's really more about the ingredients. And also, I don't really buy the expensive roll. I tend to go for the 5-7 dollar rolls.

As for the decor/sports bar thing, I don't really have too much of an opinion on that. If you took out the flatscreen tvs in there that are on ESPN, you'll have a more semi formal dining area.

My favorite sushi place is Tokyo if it's just based on sushi only. You might get below average service if you don't sit at the sushi bar because the waitresses there tend to forget about you. In addition to that, it kind of smells.

JuJuBeans
11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
My favorite sushi place is Tokyo if it's just based on sushi only. You might get below average service if you don't sit at the sushi bar because the waitresses there tend to forget about you. In addition to that, it kind of smells.

Ditto. I try to always sit at the bar also. When I sit at a table and ask for a little bit more ginger and wasabi, they get it from the back and it tastes completely rancid. A couple of my friends work there and told me the condiments they use at the sushi bar are different than the condiments they have in the back kitchen, no wonder! The people at Tokyo are nice to me, because I used to be a regular and ate there 2-3x a week at the minimum of once a week. I don't go often anymore due to it not having consistent sashimi. It is all about the fish for me and less about the sauces, rice, etc.. I just want a yummy piece of fresh RAW fish cut thinly of course, lol!

Would you say Park Harvey is better than In The Raw?

mooshie
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I have not eaten at In the Raw.

John
11-18-2009, 02:02 PM
I may be a bit bias because I know the owner, but I think sushi is fairly decent. I don't go too often because I don't go to bricktown that much and parking is so bad.

Park Harvey Sushi isn't in Bricktown, nor is parking bad around Park Harvey (or in Bricktown, but I digress...).

mooshie
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah you're right. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking at 4am.

OKCMallen
11-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Just went. Food was good. Place was dead. Ambiance is....strange. Their specialty rolls are high, but the standard rolls were acceptable. I spent $25 (with tip), had miso and a beer too.

I'll go back, but likely on nights like tonight when working late. I won't drive back downtown for it.

RedDirt717
11-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Thanks for your opinion. I'm a bit picky when it comes to sushi. Neko's is 50/50 you will either get good sushi or horrible sushi, but surprisingly it has been very good lately when I have gone during the weekends anyways. Tokyo was my favourite, but the quality in their fish has not been fresh at all maybe, their ice box is having issues or something. My hamachi sashimi last time was 'fresh' though.. so fresh that it was served to me almost completely frozen, lol! (two weeks ago) Buddha Tao has amazing salmon every time I have gone, so far..

Tokyo simply has the best in overall sushi experience in the area. My grandmother is Japanese (Which makes me 1/4) so I appreciate having an actual Japanese staff. I studies the language in college so it's fun to try and recall my Kanji memory with their Japanese newspapers.

Buddha Tao does have great salmon pretty much every time, and what's raw fish without some buttery nigiri salmon. I'm also a big fan of "in the raw" in Norman. The atmosphere has always been good and it's a great place to go with friends after an OU Football or Basketball game. I always get the squid nigiri and albacore when I go here too, not quite sure why, maybe they compliment the heavy drinking I do when I attend a get together there.

Fuji in Edmond has always been pretty good, they were one of Edmonds first sushi establishments and still seem to be holding on. I haven't been there since returning from DC but they're still around for a reason amid so much sushi competition.

JuJuBeans
11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Redirt717.

Also.. just wanted to let everyone know earlier this year a couple of my friends and I (four in total) went to Saii Bistro had salad and sushi and all of us had the urge to purge a little after eating. We all didn't feel too great for a whole day. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this from Saii or any of the other sushi joints around here? I wish food businesses would be more sanitary.

mecarr
11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Sadly, I give this place at Park Harvey 3-4 months tops.

circled9
11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
For my money, if i am downtown I would rather drop by the bar at Trattoria. There is usually a television tuned to a sports station, parking is easy, there is a free limo or shuttle to the Thunder Games and there is happy hour pizza before 6pm. Also most of the bartenders do know the difference between a first down and a home run in the event that you have a comment on whatever sporting event you are watching.

dismayed
11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
It is interesting, pretty much everyone's observations in this thread I too have experienced. Oh well, at least these restaurants are consistent. :-)

JuJuBeans I believe you mentioned The Gazette. Although I like reading them, they are really not very critical at all of the restaurants that they feature.