View Full Version : What is the easiest way to do a will in OK?

ChargerAg
09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I am thinking about writing up a will just becuase it is the responsible thing to do. Does anybody have any suggestions on what the best way to do this in OK is?

OKCTalker
09-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Increasingly complicated as the type and value of your assets increase, and your marital & parental situation. Can you shed a little light in order for the more learned than me take a stab at this?

hoya
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, technically you can just write it out by hand and sign it. That's perfectly valid.

OKCTalker
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
And what would the OP be expected to pay?

kevinpate
09-03-2009, 05:38 PM
some food for thought
Oklahoma Bar Association (http://www.okbar.org/public/brochures/willbroc.htm)

ChargerAg
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
not sure what i would expect to pay. The website seems pretty hot on getting a lawyer but i guess look at the source.

How much do one of these lawyers usually run and how do you go about finding one?

kevinpate
09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Tis true a completely hand written will, done at home all on your own, in your own hand, bearing no writing but yours, and only your sign-off can be a valid will.

Tis also true if one mucks that will up, then you have no will, and the state statutes cover how your property is divided up, irrespective of your attempted expression of intent.

That can also happen if you use a non-attorney to aid you.

And in truth, if you use an an attorney who doesn't know c'mere from sic 'em about wills but s/he talks a right fair game and hits you with a price that seems too good to be true, you can ending up kissing a puppy that way as well.

On how to find, get recommendations from people you know and trust.

Spend some time on the process. Think of it like this, if someone wants a nice deal on a BMW, without the hassles of it possibly being stolen, previously wrecked, mechanically unsound, etc., is the best bet to hit the internet or a salvage yard lien auction, or might it be to approach a long standing seller, local or otherwise, who has a sound reputation in the community and amongst his or her peers regarding that model.

It's not rocket science, but it's not really tab A into slot B model car kit either.

metro
09-10-2009, 08:29 AM
LegalZoom: Online Legal Document Services: LLC,Wills,Incorporation,Divorce & More (http://www.legalzoom.com/?WT.srch=1&se=google&q=legal+zoom&refcd=GO301371s_legal_zoom&tsacr=GO4033023937&cm_mmc_o=7BBTkwCjCWwc%20C%20PyzEpCjCPyzEpbETj7wEwy zkCjCkwTzk%20OBBF&gclid=CJ-FkKmg55wCFSENDQodtyLxFQ)

kevinpate
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Though many do not read small print, it is to your advantage to review their disclaimer re their services as you evaluate whether they are a sound fit to your needs.

The LZ Disclaimer (all bolded items are in the original disclaimer) is shown below:

Disclaimer
LegalZoom is not a law firm, and the employees of LegalZoom are not acting as your attorney. LegalZoom's legal document service is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

LegalZoom.com, Inc. ("LegalZoom") is a registered and bonded legal document assistant, #0104, Los Angeles County (exp. 12/09). LegalZoom cannot provide legal advice and can only provide self-help services at your specific direction.

LegalZoom is not permitted to engage in the practice of law. LegalZoom is prohibited from providing any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation to a consumer about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies.

This site is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, and by using LegalZoom, no attorney-client relationship will be created with LegalZoom. Instead, you are representing yourself in any legal matter you undertake through LegalZoom's legal document service.

LegalZoom provides an online legal portal to give visitors a general understanding of the law, as well as to provide an automated software solution to individuals who choose to prepare their own legal documents. To that extent, the site publishes general information on legal issues commonly encountered.

LegalZoom's document service also includes a review of your answers for completeness, spelling and grammar, as well as internal consistency of names, addresses and the like. At no time do we review your answers for legal sufficiency, draw legal conclusions, provide legal advice or apply the law to the facts of your particular situation. LegalZoom and its services are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney.

Although LegalZoom takes every reasonable effort to ensure that the information on our website and documents are up-to-date and legally sufficient, the legal information on this site is not legal advice and is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. Because the law changes rapidly, is different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and is also subject to varying interpretations by different courts and certain government and administrative bodies, LegalZoom cannot guarantee that all the information on the site is completely current. The law is a personal matter, and no general information or legal tool like the kind LegalZoom provides can fit every circumstance.

Therefore, if you need legal advice for your specific problem, or if your specific problem is too complex to be addressed by our tools, you should consult a licensed attorney in your area. Visitors to our site may obtain information regarding free or low cost representation through your state bar association or local legal aid office.

This site and some of the articles on this site contain links to other resources and businesses on the Internet. Those links are provided as citations and aids to help you identify and locate other Internet resources that may be of interest, and are not intended to state or imply that LegalZoom sponsors, is affiliated or associated with, guarantees, or is legally authorized to use any trade name, registered trademark, logo, legal or official seal, or copyrighted symbol that may be reflected in the links.

LegalZoom is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this site or any site linked to this site, whether from errors or omissions in the content of our site or any other linked sites, from the site being down or from any other use of the site. In short, your use of the site is at your own risk.

metro
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
kevin, true, but he asked for the EASIEST way, not necessary the most LEGALISTIC or best way. Filling out some online forms don't take as much effort as shopping for an attorney, going through questions with an attorney, paying the attorney ridiculous fees to type up the document, notorizing the document, etc.

Midtowner
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
His point is that the "easiest" way will possibly leave you with an expensive piece of paper which does nothing.

Even if you get the forms, there are a lot of issues surrounding how the will is executed -- a misstep there can screw you up as well. If you don't have a lot of stuff, most lawyers will have forms already written up where all they have they do is change some names and type in some of your more specific bequests and your Will is ready to go.

Most lawyers, which I am not, but will be assuming all goes well with my swearing in in a couples of weeks, will not [unless they're dumb] give specific instructions over the internet because doing so opens up a huge can 'o liability for them. Getting a referral shouldn't be too hard though. Best of luck.

kevinpate
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
> In short, your use of the site is at your own risk.

Those last few words, and the other limiting language, are the price one pays for a go it alone route.

As I noted, it can work out, but if it doesn't, then you pass without a valid will, and a probate without a will is (a) messy, (b) more expensive and (c) most importantly, at least to loved ones or fav charity, your wishes on how your estate passes to them don't mean squat.

I've seen the aftermath of someone dying without a valid will, how kin (fortunately not mine) turn on each other, and worse. To be kind, it ain't pretty.

Also, except for Prune Doug and some others, I imagine most folks reading here are far closer in age to my older children than to myself. A will today won't address what you acquire tomorrow, in 2011, 2035 and so on. No form or form shop is going to help you know when you need more than a will, or send you reminders to update, make you aware of changes in the law, etc.

A will in a box approach also may sound good when one is in the 'I don't have much today so I don't need much protection today' mode. But a misstep means what little you have will be at greater risk if you come across some fool who decides you make a fine hood ornament for his uninsured bucket o bolts.

So yes to the OP and others, it is entirely possible to go penny wise with LZ or some other process. I'm chiming in simply because it may be far more costly long term, and a will is about the long haul, and what you really want to happen after you are hauled off.

Go the route that makes sense to you, but I hope noting some of the pitfalls will help anyone reading to make their ultimate decision with their eyes wide open.

---

Aside to Mid, congrats.

PennyQuilts
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
OCU law had a 93% pass rate. I'm so proud - of Mid and the school!