View Full Version : Undiscovered Parking

hipsterdoofus
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
So pretty soon I believe there will be a parking problem downtown - I believe City Center West will be shutdown for expansion, after which point Devon will take it over. Until then, all the people in there are going to be looking for parking elsewhere. Does anyone know of any small garages or private ones that offer outsiders spots? This may be useful info to many people downtown soon.

Pete
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
I used to park at the little garage just west of the BOK plaza.

hipsterdoofus
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
I used to park at the little garage just west of the BOK plaza.

I believe that one is still there - I think it is a bit pricey though - isn't that the one with valet parking?

Pete
08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Not sure if it's all valet or just partially.

bkm645
08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I work in Robinson Renaissance and we got notice that we were being kicked out the Galleria parking garage (or City Center, whatever it is called). I was told that Leadership Square, Oklahoma and Corporate Towers bought the west garage, so we will have nowhere to park in the garage. So my office wants to move us to the parking garage on Kerr and Harvey that is valet parking. It is quite expensive, but it was the only place they said they could find that would hold 25 more cars. I will not let someone else dive my car since I have a collector's items car and I think we can find another place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to park around Park and Robinson?

OKCDrummer77
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Not sure if it's all valet or just partially.

It's been almost 9 years since I worked downtown, but the one day I parked there (Main Street was full), it was all valet.

hipsterdoofus
09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I work in Robinson Renaissance and we got notice that we were being kicked out the Galleria parking garage (or City Center, whatever it is called). I was told that Leadership Square, Oklahoma and Corporate Towers bought the west garage, so we will have nowhere to park in the garage. So my office wants to move us to the parking garage on Kerr and Harvey that is valet parking. It is quite expensive, but it was the only place they said they could find that would hold 25 more cars. I will not let someone else dive my car since I have a collector's items car and I think we can find another place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to park around Park and Robinson?

There is parking available still (to my knowledge) at Sheridan/Walker - unfortunately if you park over there, you have to deal with all the bus station people as well as the occasional jumper. Sounds like this whole shutting down of a parking garage was really thought through eh?

metro
09-01-2009, 07:25 AM
I don't think there will be a parking problem downtown for at least 3-4 years, if ever. There may be a "parking inconvenience" come later this fall when construction on Devon Tower starts. This means people might actually have to walk more than one block to their office "gasp!" The east section of Galleria or City Center parking is still owned by the City, Devon is purchasing the west as we know, however construction is shutting the entire thing down I believe.

The parking garage referred to as alternate parking with "valet" is Plaza Parking Garage

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb89/Classof20101992/CIMG0099.jpg

hipsterdoofus
09-01-2009, 07:42 AM
I don't think there will be a parking problem downtown for at least 3-4 years, if ever. There may be a "parking inconvenience" come later this fall when construction on Devon Tower starts. This means people might actually have to walk more than one block to their office "gasp!" The east section of Galleria or City Center parking is still owned by the City, Devon is purchasing the west as we know, however construction is shutting the entire thing down I believe.

I think there will be a parking problems quite soon actually. City Center west is going to be completely shutdown for now and most of the spots in the east garage are reserved. Also, the Oklahoma Tower is attempting to buy the East garage, so it will not be publicly available anyway. You are also right about the convenience then...the parking will mostly be on the other side of town from the people. At least it will be convenient for Devon employees though - that's whats important.

nik4411
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM

What do you drive?

hipsterdoofus
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't mind parking farther out from the center of town if there was a reliable and somewhat regular service out to the outlying garages.

Platemaker
09-01-2009, 08:43 AM
The Colcord will be sharing Century Center with the Sheraton starting in October.

bkm645
09-01-2009, 09:22 AM
What do you drive?

I drive an 08 mustang bullitt, one of 7000. I worked hard to get that car and I do not want a $7.25 worker parking my car.

metro
09-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I also used to work with a kid who owned a Lotus, but he used Rick Dowells Garage on Harvey, just a block North on the corner of Robert S. Kerr or 4th, I can't remember. Anyhow, Rick Dowell's garage usually has space available and is cheaper than many of the other garages. You might try that.

OKCMallen
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Plaza parking is valet. Main Street Parking typically has spots open in the morning and rarely fills all the way unless a big event is happening.

hipsterdoofus
09-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I also used to work with a kid who owned a Lotus, but he used Rick Dowells Garage on Harvey, just a block North on the corner of Robert S. Kerr or 4th, I can't remember. Anyhow, Rick Dowell's garage usually has space available and is cheaper than many of the other garages. You might try that.

Really? My boss doesn't want to park there because apparently the spaces are narrow and straight in and it is easy to get hit in there compared to some others. But I do believe they have spaces.

nik4411
09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I drive an 08 mustang bullitt, one of 7000. I worked hard to get that car and I do not want a $7.25 worker parking my car.

Oh i feel ya on that, can definitely understand.

rondvu
09-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Ruedys Automotive on NE 3rd has some parking. There used to be a waiting list. Not sure anymore since I don't work downtown.

Ruedy's Auto Shop Inc
Address: 12 NE 3rd St, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: (405) 232-4248

jmlight
09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I live in the Park Harvey and got notice yesterday that the entire City Center Garage will be closed for construction "for at least six months."

I'd already been toying with the idea of getting rid of my reserved space there. Until last week it was quite inconvenient because Harvey was closed south of Park and you had to walk around, which was okay because I enjoy walking downtown. But for my schedule, the garage is usually open, with no one manning the gates. It was almost always open before I left for work in the morning, and when I returned I would've just had to get a ticket to get in, if I didn't have the pass.

And it was always open and free on Saturdays, except during the Arts Festival.

So I'm not sweating it too much. My main concern is Saturdays. Are there any meters that aren't supposed to be fed on Saturdays? I think most of them say "Except Sundays and Holidays," and no one ever feeds them on Saturdays, but I'd hate to assume it would be okay and get a ticket.

For the most part I'll be gone to work before 8 and home after 6 during the week.

Lauri101
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't mind walking, but I am concerned about safety since I come to work at 5 AM. Are there any monthly parking contracts available anywhere north of Sheridan? I've been parking at City Center/Galleria since 1991, so I'm truly clueless and can't find any info online.

Government employees don't get free parking and there are about 400 of us being displaced. I know a lot of people who come in early and park free under the Cox Center, but (call me an idiot) that's stealing and I won't do it.

What about north and east within 2-3 blocks of Colcord? Any ideas would be appreciated! Safety is most important.

bristolscene
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
I worked downtown a couple of years ago and my office parked in the 5th street garage, the red one with a really big "5" on it across from the YMCA. It always seemed pretty empty, but I don't know if they rent spots to other companies.

kevinpate
09-02-2009, 07:34 AM
One could park south of Bass Pro and enjoy a stroll into work each day, well, except for the really rainy and really cold days. Free parking, free exercise and a plausible excuse to eat Sonic tots for breakfast.

In truth, I imagine I'd look for something closer in as well

flips
09-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I manage the 5th Street Garage. We have plenty of spaces available. The majority of our parking is state and AT&T employees. We have had a few "downtown" employees start parking there in the recent past. Its a couple of blocks away, but not that far. Its covered and secure parking with large spaces.

hipsterdoofus
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Here is a link to the story about the garage closing. It is very short on information as apparently COPTA has no idea what well happen either - saying that what will happen is very "blurred"

Devon Construction Closes Parking Garage - News9.com (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=11030906)

Lauri101
09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
This morning, one of the City Center Garage employees told one of our employees that monthly parkers could stay until December 1 and that parkers would be "assisted" in finding other parking.

WTF? Can we trust that? Why do the stories keep changing based on the day and who tells the story?

Say that you're a taxpayer coming downtown for an IRS audit. You're bringing 2 boxes of records and you are not very happy. You find a parking place 4 blocks from the office and schlep the boxes against the wind. Fun, huh? Or worse - you snag a metered parking place a block away, the auditor runs late and you come outside to find your car has been towed.

I blasted management with that this morning - I want them to press GSA to get us out of the CBD. Still hoping for mid-town! (and world peace and a bookstore in MWC)

blendd
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Maybe things have changed but my experience with the valet parking at the Plaza Garage was not a good one - too many door dings and run down batteries due to the valets leaving lights on, doors open, etc.

Main Street gets my vote for best option in core downtown these days

blend