View Full Version : Sonic product placement in HBO's "Entourage"

mOKCie
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
In one scene in the episode that aired tonight, the boys were sitting around the living room and everybody had a 44 oz Sonic cup and there were Sonic bags laying around. Say what you want about Entourage, but it's always good to see a successful OKC company aggressively marketing itself like that.

Pete
08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
That's particularly funny because there isn't a Sonic within 50 miles of west Los Angeles.

There is an old one in Anaheim and the next closest is in Palmdale -- a looooong way from that area.

I actually checked into a franchise about a year ago and was told the entire SoCal region has been spoken for. So, we'll probably see them all over in the near future. It's a perfect market for their concept.

onthestrip
08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I noticed that scene too. Some of it was because it was Sonic, but mostly because it was such a blatant product placement scene that it stood out to me as a little odd.

If LA doesnt have many Sonics yet, Id happily trade about 20 of them for one Fatburger or In n Out.

kevinpate
08-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Crafty. Product placement before there is product availability.
Sonic and True Blood, coming soon to a coffee table near you.
8^)

Pete
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Very few Fatburgers left out here but In n Out continues to flourish!

trison
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm addicted to In n Out. Every time we go to Vegas I have the cab driver go through the drive through on the way in from the airport.

I also noticed the Sonic placement. If Sonic is good enough for the boys of Entourage then I expect Sonics to start sprouting up in Cali before long.

pokemike
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
In one scene in the episode that aired tonight, the boys were sitting around the living room and everybody had a 44 oz Sonic cup and there were Sonic bags laying around. Say what you want about Entourage, but it's always good to see a successful OKC company aggressively marketing itself like that.

I saw that, too. They were just sitting around their Beverly Hills mansion eating Sonic. I was thinking, "Wow, I didn't know that had Sonic in LA."

CCOKC
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't watch Entourage often but I caught the episode last night. I remembered when Pete was trying to buy the franchises out in LA and I just thought they must be moving into the area soon. I wonder how many people in LA even recognized the Sonic cups in that scene?

Pete
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Sonic ads have been national for a couple of years, so most people are at least aware of them.

Whoever the franchisees are out here, they are moving very slowly. L.A. County is the most populated in the country and there is one Sonic, and it's way out in the high desert.

Don't really care about their food but really like their drinks... No good limeades out here!

CCOKC
08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Nothing better than a Sonic cherry limeade on a hot summer day. Especially during happy hour.

edcrunk
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Nice to know that SoCal will be gettin some Sonics soon. When Jessica Alba first got into town, she asked about the eating options nearby and I had to explain what a sonic was. The closest thing I could think of was In-n-out burger.