View Full Version : Pipe(s) under Lake Hefner?

Joe Kimball
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I was around the south shore of the lake recently, not far from where the Bluff Creek canal feeds into it. The lake has receded slightly, and to my surprise, the recession of the waters revealed what appeared to be a three-foot diameter iron conduit of some sort, showing about 100 feet of it from the normal edge of the lake to its disappearance under water.

Is there actually a sewer line going through Lake Hefner? If so, is this the only one? if not, what kind of pipes are or could be under the surface? I'd never considered their existence; I'd figured the only stray material there was the various flotsam deposited over the past 50 to 60 years.

nguy0231
08-30-2009, 05:39 PM
i thought they use those pipes so they can put fish back into the lake..maybe i dont know for sure

soonerguru
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
The water from Lake Hefner originates in the Ouachita Mountain area of southeastern Oklahoma, and is piped in. Not sure if the pipes you saw were a part of that system.

Kerry
08-31-2009, 11:05 AM
They might be sanitary sewer - i.e. storm water runoff from surrounding roads and parking lots. A 3 foot pipe, or even several of them, would take a long time to pump enough water to fill the lake.

mugofbeer
08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
The water from Lake Hefner originates in the Ouachita Mountain area of southeastern Oklahoma, and is piped in. Not sure if the pipes you saw were a part of that system.

Uhhh, I don't think so for Lake Hefner. Lake Stanley Draper gets a lot of its water from SE OK. Hefner gets it from the N. Canadian and then can get diverted release water from Lake Canton further NW.

soonerguru
08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Uhhh, I don't think so for Lake Hefner. Lake Stanley Draper gets a lot of its water from SE OK. Hefner gets it from the N. Canadian and then can get diverted release water from Lake Canton further NW.

I'm not sure on this, so I'll defer to an expert. I'm fairly certain it is piped in (and could easily be wrong!).

aintaokie
08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
There are NO sewer pipes under lake hefner.....

jstanthrnme
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
soonerguru- you are correct in that it gets piped in.

mugofbeer- you are correct that it comes from the N. Canadian.

From the Canton Lake resevoir, the N. Canadian generally flows SE to Lake Overholser. Before it gets to Overholser though, at the southern end of Stinchcomb WR, the bluff creek canal takes water NE to Hefner. The inlet is just north of Wilshire on the east side.

As to the pipes in question, my guess is that they provide the water for the hazzards on the golf course.

rondvu
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Here is a link on most everything you wanted to know about Lake Hefner. lhtn (http://members.doubleknot.com/LHBOA/lhtn.htm)

OKCisOK4me
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
And Stanley Draper doesn't get its water supply from SE Oklahoma. More like the east side of South Central Oklahoma--Lake Atoka.

mugofbeer
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Splitting hairs a bit.....but OK. I think they also can get water from McGee Creek Res near Atoka

Patrick
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Although it would've been nice to preserve the east shore of the lake, let us remember that this is a "man-made" lake to begin with, so I'm not so sure how "natural" you could really call the east shore of the lake. I know a lot of folks were opposed to the creation of Lake Hefner Parkway, but I couldn't imagine what traffic would be like on May Avenue now if it weren't for the Parkway. It would be a nightmare.