View Full Version : Oklahoma Bashing

Pages : [1] 2

rondvu
08-30-2009, 01:45 PM
I just read this comment in another thread and it made me think.
If Oklahoma is so bad then why are you even here? You did not have to come to Oklahoma for any reason, training for job etc. Just quit and get another job to avoid at all costs having to suffer and be miserable by coming to Oklahoma. We are not Minnesota nor do we want to be. So why could you not do what you needed to do (school) in Minnesota anyway? I guess Minnesota is not all that either. The trade off is better schooling in Oklahoma and or DQ and Culver's in your neck of the woods.

I was taught a guest should not disparage their host, must be a suthern thang.

okbjjpurple
Participating Member

Total Posts: 8
Default Re: Dairy Queen ever coming back to OKC?
Oh you silly okie

Just because a business isn't doing business in Oklahoma doesn't mean its out of business. Keep in mind Chipotle didn't come to Oklahoma until last year and it has been around since the late 90's. And there are still many chains yet to wander in to this strange time warp of a dirty state.

I am a transplanted Minnesotan on a temporary basis and DQ is one of the things I have to forgo until I am done with school.

Even better then DQ is Culvers....Try it if you can! and

Re: Valets-Oklahomans are Cheap!!! Give a tip!!!!

My wife worked at Red Lobster in Shawnee and I was dumbfounded at how poorly Oklahomans tip. Not to mention they were very needy and bossy and not only treated her but all servers there like crap. ...

evh5150
08-30-2009, 02:21 PM
dont be upset, most people from the great lake states have a rather crude sense of hospitality.

RedDirt717
08-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Oklahoma is dirty?

Minneapolis is one of the filthiest septic tanks of a city I've ever been to. It has DQ and Culvers? That's supposed to make it a great place? Really? Culvers is the B-team version of Steak and Shake. I'd rather live in a giant frozen turd for 9 months a year than live in Minnesota. Only that, if you're living in Minnesota you already are living in a giant frozen turd where animal cartilage and congealed floating fat are considered delicacies.

RedDirt717
08-30-2009, 02:22 PM
dont be upset, most people from the great lake states have a rather crude sense of hospitality.

EEhhy?

PennyQuilts
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Oklahoma is dirty?

Minneapolis is one of the filthiest septic tanks of a city I've ever been to. It has DQ and Culvers? That's supposed to make it a great place? Really? Culvers is the B-team version of Steak and Shake. I'd rather live in a giant frozen turd for 9 months a year than live in Minnesota. Only that, if you're living in Minnesota you already are living in a giant frozen turd where animal cartilage and congealed floating fat are considered delicacies.

Well, after that, I think I will just cross Minnesota off my list of places to live!:omg:

Or visit!!!

Steve
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
For all those worn out by the Tulsa-OKC and Oklahoma-Texas wars, I for one welcome a new challenge. Yes, let's start up a Minnesota-Oklahoma war!
Now, how shall we begin this ridiculous complete utter waste of time? Does anyone know if Minnesota has Sonic drive-ins?

mmonroe
08-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I heard minnesota has mini soda's... gay.

RedDirt717
08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
You mean "mini soouuuuuta's"

mmonroe
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
oh, well.. don'tcha know.

betts
08-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey. As a former long time Minnesotan, I don't think one obnoxious poster can speak for all of us. But, I'm not sure hurling insults back at him/her really solves anything. Minnesota is a truly beautiful state with disgustingly bad weather. Minneapolis is actually a very cool city, but of course has disgustingly bad weather. Like all places, there are good and bad things about it, and everybody seems to weigh the good and bad differently.

Bunty
08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Outsiders had best be careful about bashing Oklahoma or risk being outdated about it. Because Oklahoma has changed a lot for the better since 1999 when the Tulsa District Attorney tried to ban sales of Penthouse magazine as obscenity.

evh5150
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
For all those worn out by the Tulsa-OKC and Oklahoma-Texas wars, I for one welcome a new challenge. Yes, let's start up a Minnesota-Oklahoma war!
Now, how shall we begin this ridiculous complete utter waste of time? Does anyone know if Minnesota has Sonic drive-ins?

Sonic is one of Oklahoma's most aggressive corporations when it comes to franchise expansion.

For a fact, I know they have them as far west as Phoenix and Gallup,NM. Ive heard stories of them being up in PA as well too, so it wouldnt surprise me if MN had one too.

By the way, speaking of states bashing...arent we supposed to be united?

However, I have a dear friend who is an avid Civil War buff...so lets redraw that Mason-Dixon line and load up our cannons again. :fighting4

mugofbeer
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Personally, I think its funny that anyone really has a concern about whether we have DQ's or Chipotle's. Who really cares? How many more friggen fast food restaurants to we need or want? I go way out of my way to patronize a privately owned restaurant if I can at all help it because that goes to someone local, who has a local family, who pays local taxes, and deposits his/her profits in a local bank. Franchises are a bit in-between, admittedly, but buying "local" is by far the best way to go.

nik4411
08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
But Oklahoma does have DQ's

Patrick
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry....I was laughing for so long when I read that someone was upset that Oklahoma didn't have Dairy Queens. What's so special about a freakin Dairy Queen? And for the record, I do know they have one inside Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa. But nonetheless, I'll take Braums for Dairy Queen any day of the week. Can't beat Braums ice cream and dairy products. Everytime I go on long vacations outside the state, Braums is the one thing I really miss. I literally go into Braums withdrawals. What's so special about Dairy Queen? I just don't get it. If you're that stuck on DQ's Blizzards, go to Sonic and get a Sonic Blast. Or Braums has the same thing....they call it a Mix! :)

mugofbeer
08-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I just roll my eyes when I see people getting upset because of the lack of DQ's or excited when an Arby's sign goes up at a corner down the street. Its friggen fast food. Go get something healthy and far better at a local place around the corner.

Patrick
08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Sounds like the same people that were standing in line for a Jack in the Box to locate in the metro! Big freakin deal.

venture
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
As someone who grew up in the Great Lakes, I'll take issue with the hospitality comment. Yes in the bigger cities like Chicago and Cleveland, you'll have more of a northeast fast paced lifestyle where people are a bit more short. However there are many towns that are you small friendly community where everyone knows people and they help each other out. As far as the weather goes...it depends what you like. I'll take a snow storm over the ice storms here any day. Plus I miss my snowmobile. LOL Summers can still get hot, but not for nearly as long.

On Sonic's footprint:

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/images/marketMap.png

Steve
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Um, guys, you know I was only bringing up Sonic as a way to mock this whole discussion, don't you? Guys? Guys? Oh, never mind....

nik4411
08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
haha

and there are 10 or so DQ's in the state. More or less. But I agree, who cares? Why are we even giving this person the time of day. Whoops, guess im guilty as well...

OKCTalker
08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Dairy Queen perspective:

LOCAL: The local DQ franchisee who built a small empire was Charlie Dunn (remember "Dunn's Dairy Queen?") who was a one-time mayor of Norman. He offered the franchise for sale, but it was priced too high. No takers until a young guy from Texas came along and said he'd pay full price if Dunn would finance the purchase. The purchase agreement gave him full control. The buyer (Daniel K. Borgen) never paid a bill, took out all of the money and put it into trust accounts for his children. Fraud, but no-one wanted to spend the money to undo it. Dunn eventually regained control, but many locations had closed, employees were gone, vendors unpaid and leases cancelled. A sad end to a large, local franchise.

NATIONAL: Purchased by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet's company) in 1998, which has had little success in establishing consistency throughout the chain. You will find four different logos, inconsistent menus, products and packaging, and the individual franchisees are resisting Buffet's intentions, despite him being one of the most successful business people in history. Oh well.

okcpulse
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I find it hilarious that people trash Oklahoma City for being overrun by chains, but then their brains explode when they move here only to find their comfort chain doesn't have a location in OKC. Heh... what a two-faced society we have become.

soonerguru
08-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought Minneapolis was a nice city. Then again, what do I know?

OKC is getting better, but Oklahoma still has a way to go. That's why we post stuff here, right?

Patrick
08-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I find it hilarious that people trash Oklahoma City for being overrun by chains, but then their brains explode when they move here only to find their comfort chain doesn't have a location in OKC. Heh... what a two-faced society we have become.

But, but, but, once we have a Hard Rock Cafe, we'll be a big league city, right?

mugofbeer
08-30-2009, 10:43 PM
But, but, but, once we have a Hard Rock Cafe, we'll be a big league city, right?

Yet another example............

blangtang
08-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Minneapolis has light rail, and you can actually get from the airport to other places via bus or light rail.

I ate some walleye fingers in the msp airport last month. AND there is a sonic in the okc airport. hmm.

oh, and minnesota's got some badass lutefisk, if'n you know the right people.

damn lutherans

mack1520
08-31-2009, 02:15 AM
I didn't know walleye had fingers. Oh well...

evh5150
08-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Sorry....I was laughing for so long when I read that someone was upset that Oklahoma didn't have Dairy Queens. What's so special about a freakin Dairy Queen? And for the record, I do know they have one inside Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa. But nonetheless, I'll take Braums for Dairy Queen any day of the week. Can't beat Braums ice cream and dairy products. Everytime I go on long vacations outside the state, Braums is the one thing I really miss. I literally go into Braums withdrawals. What's so special about Dairy Queen? I just don't get it. If you're that stuck on DQ's Blizzards, go to Sonic and get a Sonic Blast. Or Braums has the same thing....they call it a Mix! :)

DQs Blizzard is the reigning standard that prevails. Sonics Blast is a nice and decent alternative...but Braums Mix is just downright retarded! Whats up with all those huge, ginormous chunks of candy they throw on top of it??!!??....Candy is supposed to be finely crushed and blended into the ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If I broke a solid candy bar into thirteen huge chunky pieces and stirred into two scoops of ice cream...thats not an enjoyable diary confectionary.

PennyQuilts
08-31-2009, 04:34 AM
If I broke a solid candy bar into thirteen huge chunky pieces and stirred into two scoops of ice cream...thats not an enjoyable diary confectionary.

Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND??? If that candy is chocolate, it is heavenly. You could chocolate on spinach and end up with ambrosia.

dengar22
08-31-2009, 06:09 AM
In Amarillo we have the same number of DQ's as Braum's - I'd take Braum's any day over that nasty DQ. The only thing we go for is a blizzard - but seriously, one can live without.

venture
08-31-2009, 07:09 AM
I ate some walleye fingers in the msp airport last month. AND there is a sonic in the okc airport. hmm.

If there is anything food wise that I miss most from the Great Lakes it is walleye. Ugly fish...but tastes soooo good.

HVAC Instructor
08-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Well, I'm sitting in Tampa Florida right now missing Oklahoma terribly, and I was not born in OK either. Of all the places I have lived, I have discovered there are less assholes per square mile in Oklahoma. Can't wait to touch down at Will Rogers on Tuesday, get in my car and drive home!

The only thing that could make OK better for me is if Sanibel Island was located there, LOL!

nik4411
08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Is walleye really that good? I have only caught 2 walleye in my lifetime, and that wasn't what i was fishing for.
I was about 12 and my dad and i were fishing on lake eufaula. we were fishing a rocky point and two large fish, both over 20 inches slammed my swimbait...had to watch those teeth!
so you could catch them here and cook them up for dinner

kmf563
08-31-2009, 07:58 AM
I think defining a state goes beyond fast food and one's opinion. Although you wouldn't be able to tell from the childish posts here...but this state is most defined by it's people. Even other newsbroadcasters say Oklahoman's give a hand to their neighbors more than any other state they've been in. We are welcoming and humble. As a state.

Now, people will be people and they will like what they like. I love Oklahoma and do not like sonic or braums. The only thing I buy from sonic is a drink. Braums is just gross. I love DQ. But only their ice cream.

Instead of bashing the Minnesota person who got the wrong first impression of Oklahoma, why not show and encourage the fact that we are not a horrible state? Sure we have bad tippers, we also have great tippers. Ask my bartender saturday night. She made some bankage. We have idiots just like every other place in the world, that doesn't make us all that way. How very closed minded of a conversation to lump everyone into a stereotype based on personal short experiences.

RedDirt717
08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, I'm sitting in Tampa Florida right now missing Oklahoma terribly, and I was not born in OK either. Of all the places I have lived, I have discovered there are less assholes per square mile in Oklahoma. Can't wait to touch down at Will Rogers on Tuesday, get in my car and drive home!

The only thing that could make OK better for me is if Sanibel Island was located there, LOL!

My dad lives in Tampa right now, he works for Special Ops at MacDill AFB. He also misses Oklahoma, can't wait to get back.

HVAC Instructor
08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
My dad lives in Tampa right now, he works for Special Ops at MacDill AFB. He also misses Oklahoma, can't wait to get back.

Small world. My sister works at MacDill with TriCare.

RedDirt717
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Gorgeous base, I've been there about 10 times since he started working there 5 years ago. Always like to take a jog on their rubber jogging trail right on the bay. It's pretty fantastic.

Matt
08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
I thought Minneapolis was a nice city. Then again, what do I know?

I'm guessing some people here have never heard of the phrase "Minnesota nice" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Nice).

I've never been to Minnesota, but I'd like to go sometime. Bob Dylan and Prince are from there, so Minnesota is just aces with me.

North Dakota, on the other hand--now that's a ****hole of a state.

TaoMaas
08-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Minnesota is a truly beautiful state with disgustingly bad weather.

LOL Maybe Oklahoma has more in common with Minnesota than we thought!

SavageDigital
08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
If Oklahoma is so bad then why are you even here?

I've lived in the following U.S. locations:

San Diego, CA
St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Tampa, FL
Virgina Beach, VA
Baltimore, MD
Denver, CO
San Antonio. TX
Wilmington, NC
Washington D.C.

...and I'd rate my current home here in Oklahoma City near the bottom of that list. It's not a knock, it's a ranking based on my personal desires from the city I'm living in (ocean access being one of the top). But my research job/team took to OU and since I love my job - here we are. However in the three years I've been here, the place has clearly been improving and we've found enough "good" in the city to be generally satisfied with existing here.

mmonroe
08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll take Marble Slab ice cream over Braums any day!

OKCTalker
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM

Nothing quite like the sushi at Detroit Metro Airport.

warreng88
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I've lived in the following U.S. locations:

San Diego, CA
St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Tampa, FL
Virgina Beach, VA
Baltimore, MD
Denver, CO
San Antonio. TX
Wilmington, NC
Washington D.C.

...and I'd rate my current home here in Oklahoma City near the bottom of that list. It's not a knock, it's a ranking based on my personal desires from the city I'm living in (ocean access being one of the top). But my research job/team took to OU and since I love my job - here we are. However in the three years I've been here, the place has clearly been improving and we've found enough "good" in the city to be generally satisfied with existing here.

You lost me when you ranked Detroit over OKC...

SavageDigital
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM

It's not a ranking list...it's just numerical list, which I changed to prevent further confusion. Of course I'd put Detroit at the bottom (though it was much better in the 80's when I lived there).

venture
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Is walleye really that good? I have only caught 2 walleye in my lifetime, and that wasn't what i was fishing for.
I was about 12 and my dad and i were fishing on lake eufaula. we were fishing a rocky point and two large fish, both over 20 inches slammed my swimbait...had to watch those teeth!
so you could catch them here and cook them up for dinner

Spent many days out on the boat in Lake Erie catching the things. They are nasty looking things and yeah - the teeth. However, out of all the freshwater fish...they have the best taste to them in my opinion. Heck, sometimes better than a lot of saltwater fish. Bread them and fry them and go to town. Just watch the bones a bit. Oh...and always watch what body of water you caught them out of - some areas you shouldn't eat more than 2-3 fish a year out of the location. LOL

Nothing quite like the sushi at Detroit Metro Airport.

Can't say I ever had it there. Granted no need to eat there when I was a whole 30 minutes away when I lived in the area.

There are part that aren't that bad. Well maybe not in Detroit proper. I always liked Troy and Royal Oak. Plus Windsor was a nice get away.

nik4411
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Awesome, maybe one day I will get to try some nice fried walleye

westsidesooner
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I've been to Minnesota several times. We use to go fishing on Rainy lake along the canadian border. I've also been through Minneapolis several times. Anyone who thinks Minnesota isnt a beautiful place hasnt been there much. As Venture mentioned the weather....esp. winter is brutal..but the summers are sweet. And trashing Minneapolis doesnt make OKC any better.

mugofbeer
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Spent many days out on the boat in Lake Erie catching the things. They are nasty looking things and yeah - the teeth. However, out of all the freshwater fish...they have the best taste to them in my opinion. Heck, sometimes better than a lot of saltwater fish. Bread them and fry them and go to town. Just watch the bones a bit. Oh...and always what body of water you caught them out of - some areas you shouldn't eat more than 2-3 fish a year out of the location. LOL.

There isn't much better than going out on the lake and catching a mess of walleye. At lunchtime you pull the boat to the shore and make a fire. You fry up a huge mound of diced potatoes and onions and then fillet and fry up the walleye you just caught and have the best lunch of your life.

bretthexum
08-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Oklahoma is dirty?

Right... you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I lived in MSP for 4 years. The winters suck, but MSP blows OKC out of the water in every other category except traffic.

betts
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
I've been to Minnesota several times. We use to go fishing on Rainy lake along the canadian border. I've also been through Minneapolis several times. Anyone who thinks Minnesota isnt a beautiful place hasnt been there much. As Venture mentioned the weather....esp. winter is brutal..but the summers are sweet. And trashing Minneapolis doesnt make OKC any better.

We used to go up to Rainy Lake on occasion too. It's hard to beat walleye for eating, although I'm partial to crappie as well. I think it tastes better when caught in cold water, though.

Can't agree with your last statement more.

PennyQuilts
09-01-2009, 05:49 AM
I think Crappie is a lousy name for food.

HVAC Instructor
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Yup, a crappy name for a great tasting fish....Reckon thats why some folks pronounce it "croppie", LOL. We used to catch them by the dozens back in Georgia. Best fresh water fish I've tried.

RedDirt717
09-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Right... you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I lived in MSP for 4 years. The winters suck, but MSP blows OKC out of the water in every other category except traffic.

Like?

I can't think of one thing that MN has on Oklahoma except access to a large body of water. Everything else is only enjoyed 3 months out of the year when it's safe to actually go out without the risk of frostbite, or hypothermia. Unless you consider having a roller coaster in a mall something to be proud of...

I've been to Minnesota about half a dozen times and not one time I was there did I have a good experience. Either is was -30 wind chills or food poisoning from the local diner. One time my friend that grew up there tried to convince me to try some authentic Norwegian food. Bad idea.

I had something called lutefisk, which is basically like a fish jelly , and some sort of congealed animal fat as a side. With some potatos. Potatoes were pretty good. I have a pretty diverse palette, I grew up eating Japanese food. MN food was just a little too much.

Their geological landscape is pretty diverse because of the size, but I can't think of anything I saw that's as nice as eastern Oklahoma.

The people were nice, so I can't completely hate on Minneapolis.

RedDirt717
09-01-2009, 07:15 AM

You can catch those all over Oklahoma.

I fried a ton of Crappie up a few months ago we caught at tenkiller.

venture
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Yup, a crappy name for a great tasting fish....Reckon thats why some folks pronounce it "croppie", LOL. We used to catch them by the dozens back in Georgia. Best fresh water fish I've tried.

Have always heard it pronounced "croppie"...but I also grew up back North. If moving to Oklahoma has taught me anything, go a few hundred miles and it is amazing how quickly pronunciations of the same words change.

As far as RedDirt goes...there is a reason if you don't like cold, you don't go north of the Ohio River - or at least north of KS/MO...before April. And you get out of there by the time November rolls around. Some people don't like the cold, while some people don't like the heat. I totally dislike Summers down here, but other things draw me to Oklahoma. Same could be said about Winter up North. I've done my time getting up for work, having to go to the car in the detached garage when it would only be 5 below to 5 above out with a 30 mph wind and a "lovely" wind chill. Eventually you realize after a certain point...it is just "cold" and you don't notice much more of a difference from a day of highs in the teens to highs below zero. The only thing that stinks is that once it gets below 15...it is hard to get any type of decent snow since the air is soooo dry. Give me winters with temps from 25-35 with 3-4 feet of snow over the course of the winter, and summers with highs in the upper 70s to around 80 with a nice breeze everyday and of course a scattered of the severe storm days. :)

bretthexum
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Like?

I can't think of one thing that MN has on Oklahoma except access to a large body of water. Everything else is only enjoyed 3 months out of the year when it's safe to actually go out without the risk of frostbite, or hypothermia. Unless you consider having a roller coaster in a mall something to be proud of...

I've been to Minnesota about half a dozen times and not one time I was there did I have a good experience. Either is was -30 wind chills or food poisoning from the local diner. One time my friend that grew up there tried to convince me to try some authentic Norwegian food. Bad idea.

I had something called lutefisk, which is basically like a fish jelly , and some sort of congealed animal fat as a side. With some potatos. Potatoes were pretty good. I have a pretty diverse palette, I grew up eating Japanese food. MN food was just a little too much.

Their geological landscape is pretty diverse because of the size, but I can't think of anything I saw that's as nice as eastern Oklahoma.

The people were nice, so I can't completely hate on Minneapolis.

4 pro sports teams, REAL nightlife, excellent music scene, and the list goes on. I for one hated the cold more than anything, that's why I moved south. If you haven't seen northern Minnesota you haven't seen the real Minnesota. That's where all the people from Minneapolis go on the weekends.

nik4411
09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I still see no reason to bash minnesota b/c someone said something about the heat here...

Never been up there but I would love too.

As far as fish goes crappie is some of the best. Grandparents had a place on eufaula and would catch huge messes of crappie. made for a lot of excellent fish fries.

Euphoria
09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
4 pro sports teams, .
I watch college sports. Don't care about pro sports. No big draw there.

REAL nightlife.
What's not real about going to McNellies and having a beer with my friends on Friday night after watching a movie at the Warren? Clubbing doesn't equal nightlife for me anymore. I, and the girl I'm seeing, prefer little dive bars that aren't packed with college kids.

excellent music scene.
We're not doing to shabby. Cross Canadian, All-American Rejects, Hinder...They all came from Oklahoma. Granted, they aren't my type of music but the Oklahoma music scene is far from dead.

If you haven't seen northern Minnesota you haven't seen the real Minnesota.
Take a trip to southeastern Oklahoma and drive from Talihena to Mina. Or, better yet, if you own a motorcycle RIDE from Talihena to Mina. Then realize that all states have their pretty and not so pretty areas.

Mr. T in OKC
09-01-2009, 01:50 PM
We're not doing to shabby. Cross Canadian, All-American Rejects, Hinder...They all came from Oklahoma. Granted, they aren't my type of music but the Oklahoma music scene is far from dead.

Don't forget about Color Me Badd and Hanson. So chew on that for a minute Minnesotans. :LolLolLol

fuzzytoad
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
how could you not mention Big Chief Henry's Indian String Band or Oklahoma's Yodeling Cowboy?