View Full Version : Goodbye Reading Rainbow

dismayed
08-30-2009, 09:46 AM
This makes me sad. I wonder if PBS would have canned Mr. Rodgers if he were still alive and on the air today:

For 26 years, Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton (left) shepherded kids through the exciting world of books. The show, which fostered a love of reading, was the third longest-running program in PBS history, outlasted only by Sesame Street and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

[...]

The show's run is ending, Grant explains, because no one — not the station, not PBS, not the Corporation for Public Broadcasting — will put up the several hundred thousand dollars needed to renew the show's broadcast rights.

'Reading Rainbow' Reaches Its Final Chapter : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112312561&ft=1&f=112312561)

kevinpate
08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
kiddos enjoyed that when they were appropriate age. Sad to see if not be there for others.

evh5150
08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
butterfly in the sky, i can get twice as high.

oneforone
08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
It seems like PBS is ditching all of their pioneer programs that most of the population cut their teeth on.

I was disappointed when they cancelled Mr. Rogers. When he passed on PBS staff stated he would live forver in syndication. Not even two years lated he was cancelled off mainstream PBS and left to the local stations.

Now, I think Mr. Rogers is down to one day week on the weekends. I think I am have to pick some DVD's (if they exist). When I have kids, I want him to be a part of their upbringing. He taught many valuable lessons and not to mention he sold every kid on the idea they can do anything they set their mind to with hard work and determination.

I have lost faith in PBS, their shows are more mindless babble than anything else.