View Full Version : Watonga Cheese Moving from Watonga... How Easy is it to Offer Incentives in OK?

dismayed
08-28-2009, 07:31 PM
The article below talks about how Watonga Cheese is moving to a small town in Texas that was able to offer a $150k incentives package.

Can someone who is familiar with state law tell me if it is easier for cities in Texas to offer such packages? Are Oklahoma cities in any way limited by state government in what they can do to entice companies to come here / stay here?

I'm just curious... it seems like Texas towns are often fairly successful at this and I'm trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

http://www.newsok.com/good-bad-news-for-watonga-cheese/article/3396315?custom_click=lead_story_title

jstanthrnme
08-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I was born and raised in Watonga, and this breaks my heart..

Pete
08-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Yep, I found this news pretty depressing.

PennyQuilts
08-28-2009, 07:49 PM
The article below talks about how Watonga Cheese is moving to a small town in Texas that was able to offer a $150k incentives package.

Can someone who is familiar with state law tell me if it is easier for cities in Texas to offer such packages? Are Oklahoma cities in any way limited by state government in what they can do to entice companies to come here / stay here?

I'm just curious... it seems like Texas towns are often fairly successful at this and I'm trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

http://www.newsok.com/good-bad-news-for-watonga-cheese/article/3396315?custom_click=lead_story_title

I am not sure how the lack of state income tax figures - if it does.

okcpulse
08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
There are hard feelings. They are a bunch of Texas sellouts. However, we really need to review what types of incentives Oklahoma towns are allowed to offer, and state government needs to take a long hard look at why Oklahoma keeps losing companies to fatass Texas.

Honestly after being in Texas for three years I can lend testimony to one hard fact... incentives don't buy me for the way things are done in Texas. This state operates in such a piecemeal way that I am amazed that 24 million people even live here. Texans and even Oklahomans need to cut the $hit about no state income taxes, because the Lone Star state nails you so hard in property and school taxes those in the know are left speechless while the happy little Texans go about their merry way, bitching about the their property taxes, but nary a peep about it in Austin.

I fear buying a home in Houston. I really do. Between home owner's insurance, HOA fees, property taxes, school taxes, and any other hidden fees that service you without vasoline, my disposable income will all but disappear.

This guy can grease all he wants about incentives, but it's clear he is a Texan. Incentives or not, he decided to move the company there because he wanted to be there. Don't give me this crap about incentives.

jstanthrnme
08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
This is like a childhood staple, becoming a memory.

Kind of like a micro Seattle-Oklahoma City scenario.

kevinpate
08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
From the article:
"We’re not going to leave Watonga. There’s no hard feelings,” he said.

Uh, yeah, you are, and yes, there will be.

Perryton is a right nice little community, and on several levels the move makes sense. Family is there, the town fathers are laying out buckets of incentives and they came back with more after being turned away initially.

Apparently, that is more than either Watonga or the state was able/willing to offer.

But when you pull your company and go elsewhere, setting up a small retail center in the long time location and acting like you never left is well, a wee bit cheesey.

Tex
08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
There are hard feelings. They are a bunch of Texas sellouts. However, we really need to review what types of incentives Oklahoma towns are allowed to offer, and state government needs to take a long hard look at why Oklahoma keeps losing companies to fatass Texas.

Honestly after being in Texas for three years I can lend testimony to one hard fact... incentives don't buy me for the way things are done in Texas. This state operates in such a piecemeal way that I am amazed that 24 million people even live here. Texans and even Oklahomans need to cut the $hit about no state income taxes, because the Lone Star state nails you so hard in property and school taxes those in the know are left speechless while the happy little Texans go about their merry way, bitching about the their property taxes, but nary a peep about it in Austin.

I fear buying a home in Houston. I really do. Between home owner's insurance, HOA fees, property taxes, school taxes, and any other hidden fees that service you without vasoline, my disposable income will all but disappear.

This guy can grease all he wants about incentives, but it's clear he is a Texan. Incentives or not, he decided to move the company there because he wanted to be there. Don't give me this crap about incentives.

So, why do you live in Texas? Does the sellout label not apply to you? So much hostility against my native state.

okcpulse
08-28-2009, 09:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the article:
"We’re not going to leave Watonga. There’s no hard feelings,” he said.

Uh, yeah, you are, and yes, there will be.

Perryton is a right nice little community, and on several levels the move makes sense. Family is there, the town fathers are laying out buckets of incentives and they came back with more after being turned away initially.

Apparently, that is more than either Watonga or the state was able/willing to offer.

But when you pull your company and go elsewhere, setting up a small retail center in the long time location and acting like you never left is well, a wee bit cheesey.

I second that

okcpulse
08-28-2009, 09:31 PM
So, why do you live in Texas? Does the sellout label not apply to you? So much hostility against my native state.

We had moved here for personal family reasons, not because of greener pastures. So, no, the sellout label does not apply to me because I am a sworn Oklahoman, not an Oklahoman that salivates over living in Texas and is willing to move an Oklahoma born and bred business to reach the summit. Imagine Blue Bell Ice Cream relocating to Oklahoma. It's a Texas business, not an Oklahoma business.

The hostility comes from years of Texans dogging the Oklahoma tax system when they should look and their own f**cked up system. But trust me, Tex, a lot of Oklahomans are just as guilty of this type of mentality.

If someone wants to move to Texas, by all means fine, but do it for the right reasons, not to follow the herd. Same should go for every state.

jstanthrnme
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
News 9's rather insensitive take on it:

Watonga Milking Cheese History to Support Long-Standing Tradition

Two years ago, a real "muenster" of a storm came churning through town and shredded the Watonga cheese plant. Since then the factory relocated to Texas.
Enlarge this picture

Watonga is hoping its long-standing history of cheese in the town will continue to attract people to the Annual Watonga Cheese Festival in October.By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9

WATONGA, Oklahoma -- No matter how you slice it, Watonga has always meant cheese, but recently the cheese has moved out of town.

All roads led to the Watonga Cheese Factory, where they really knew their "Kraft."

"You go anywhere and people ask you where you're from, and you say Watonga, and the next things they say is cheese," said Bob Shoemaker, Watonga Resident.

But times have changed.

"We have American single, mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, medium cheddar. No Watonga cheese," said Debbie Gregory, Jim's IGA.

Two years ago, a real "muenster" of a storm came churning through town. It shredded the factory and knocked everything to and "fromage."

Residents in Watonga tried to persuade the owner to reopen his "cottage" industry, but their offer wasn't "gouda 'nuf." Now he's relocated to Perryton, Texas.

"He's getting a building there, and some other financial help," Shoemaker said.

"Does that grate on you?" Gan Matthews asked.

"Yes, it really does," Shoemaker said.

"O queso," the factory is gone, but Watonga keeps milking that history to support its annual cheese festival.

"We still bring in cheese, and this year we will bring it in from an Oklahoma cheese plant," said Rhonda Olson, Watonga Chamber of Commerce.

But for now, it's time to bid Watonga "fond(a)due."

The 33rd annual Watonga Cheese Festival will take place October 9th and 10th.

Watonga Milking Cheese History to Support Long-Standing Tradition - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11011257)
Thanks, Gan. Pulitzer material.

mugofbeer
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't think the offering of incentives has to do with state concerns. OK cities have offered incentives before such as OKC did to try to lure United Airlines, American Airlines, the semiconductor company (name escapes me). What I found living in Texas is that they don't posess the attitude that a large number of Oklahomans do about having an unwillingness to offer public money for private ventures. One poster said that Texas has success offering incentives - yes, they do. Couple the incentives with the lack of a state corporate income tax and businesses do find it attractive.

A great many Oklahomans don't seem to understand the concept that by offering financial incentives with public money, they are investing in the business. In this case, Perryton offered Watonga Cheese a loan. Watonga Cheese has to pay if off until it is forgiven in 5 years. In that time, the company will employ a dozen or 2 employees, generate a lot of business and gain a buyer for the dairy products produced in the area.

Granted its on a different scale, but its the same type of thing as giving Clay Bennett public money to upgrade the Ford Center. Watonga kind of blew it by not being willing to offer a similar loan package - or another nearby town.

jbrown84
08-29-2009, 06:56 PM
News 9's rather insensitive take on it:

Watonga Milking Cheese History to Support Long-Standing Tradition - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11011257)
Thanks, Gan. Pulitzer material.

WOW, I thought surely that was a joke story written by Lost Ogle or something...