View Full Version : I need tires

rondvu
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
:elmer3: I am hunting tires and see that Preibe's Auto Clinic and Tire Center is a great place to go for repairs. What about the tires, brands and prices? I really don't want to go to the big name brand chains, Hibdon's now that Firestone owns them. All suggestions and or comments would be appreciated.

metro
08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
HIBDONS, can't beat em.

windowphobe
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I buy tires online at the Tire Rack (tirerack.com) and have them drop-shipped to A to Z Tire on 10th east of May. Done this twice, and been happy both times.

USG '60
08-28-2009, 06:40 PM
I buy tires online at the Tire Rack (tirerack.com) and have them drop-shipped to A to Z Tire on 10th east of May. Done this twice, and been happy both times.What do they charge to put them on at A to Z?

oneforone
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I found Sam's Club to be reasonable for tires. I have an F-150 with 17" factory rims. Every place in town quoted me $800-$1000 for economy level tires

I went to Sam's and paid $600 installed for four BF Goodrich tires with a road hazard warranty and free lifetime rotation and balance.

mmonroe
08-30-2009, 03:14 PM
There is a tire place at 240 and Walker that is have a tire sale.

windowphobe
08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
What do they charge to put them on at A to Z?

$75 or thereabouts. I ran it up to $100, but then I had these tires filled with nitrogen as an experiment.

Patrick
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Jackie Cooper Tire Centers are reasonable and 100% honest.

SoonerDave
08-31-2009, 08:19 AM
I found Sam's Club to be reasonable for tires. I have an F-150 with 17" factory rims. Every place in town quoted me $800-$1000 for economy level tires

I went to Sam's and paid $600 installed for four BF Goodrich tires with a road hazard warranty and free lifetime rotation and balance.

+1

I spent the better part of two or three weeks researching tires for my '04 Lesabre earlier this year, learned about brands to avoid speciously, and learned which receive consistent acclaim from testers and prior owners. And then found the best price package was from Sam's Club....

I would strongly encourage anyone shopping for tires to research the brands - there is considerable good info available on the 'net, and I recall TireRack.com was one of them.

-Dave

p.s. re the post about nitrogen inflation - what I've read indicates there is little or no real-world value in nitrogen inflation....fwiw..

BBatesokc
08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Over the years I've used Hibdon's alot. The price was always average and they seemed to get me in and out quick enough. Plus I liked the fact they have always repaired my tires free of charge, regardless of where I bought them. However, avoid them like the plague for any mechanical repairs.

I've used Sam's too when their price was exceptional. I also use Sam's for new batteries.

Recently though I've had two cars (3000GT & FX35) that needed tires all the way around. I got the best price on Z-rated tires at Big Discount Tire at about 32nd and S. Rob. Same tires Hibdons wanted $900 for I got for $675.

windowphobe
08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
p.s. re the post about nitrogen inflation - what I've read indicates there is little or no real-world value in nitrogen inflation....fwiw..

I'm not finding an enormous amount of benefit in it: the major difference is that the stuff leaks out more slowly, which means that I get to spend fewer moments with a tire gauge checking the pressure. Whether it actually improves tire life or not, it's way too soon to tell.

OKCisOK4me
08-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I thought Big-O Tires was having some big time sale. I'm always hearing advertisements on the radio for it.

nik4411
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
A buddy of mine just got a tire from discount tire, they have a place off nw expressway.
seemed to have really good prices, great service, was in and out in 15 minutes.

have heard good things from other people as well about this place.

RealJimbo
09-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I avoid Jackie Cooper Tires. Too expensive. Best prices consistently at Hibdon. Good advice above to avoid their mechanical services, though as I've been ripped off a time or two. Bought my first tires from Hibdon when it was one little converted service station down on SE 29th street. Now with the new owners they aren't as trustworthy but still low prices most of the time.

bluedogok
09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I used Sam's, Hibdon and Jackie Cooper in OKC depending upon who had the tire that I wanted at the best price at the time that I needed them. Years ago if you wanted a specific brand you bought at the one who carried them, now pretty much everyone sells everything so whomever has the best price/service is where I buy them.

We put new tires on my wife's Escape today, replaced the original Continentals (with 94,000 miles but were hard as rocks) with Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires at Costco. They were about the same price as NTB (Big O is part of that company), Discount Tire or Sam's, we get a yearly rebate from Costco so we bought them there.

JamesAyers
09-12-2009, 03:04 PM
The only place I will buy my tires is at Tire Town at 15th and S Robinson, just south of downtown. They've been in business there for many years. Talk to the owner, Mike Pelly.

Jesseda
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
yeah big-o is having a huge sale on tires, you go in to get tires, and then they tell you that you also need this and that this and that oh and this is old, this is cracked this is almost gone, it makes you fell like you let your car go to crap, they even told me that one of my tires that i bought from them back in march was getting a little wore out, i laughed and said i just bought this from them 4 months ago, and all they could say is ohh..lol.. i go to them because i get free rotation with my oil change, but they sales pitch me all the time thats what i hate about big-o

wayward1
09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
i' know someone is going to rip me a new one for this(ok hibdons).... i bought brand spanking new tires and a month later got a nail in one which led to a flat....which i found the next morning so i was late for work....i took it to hibdons..they fixed it for free....i woke up the next morning...and it was flat....i thought well i'll just take it back after work...so i did the same..took it to hibdons..they fixed it...the next morning it was flat...now i was pissed.....so after work that day i took it to a litle hole in the wall place called g-k tires at 23rd and midwest blvd...i had to pay $4 bucks but never had another flat on that tire until i finally had to buy a new set 4or 5 years laters...and that was with many trips to the wichita mounatins and twice to the carolinas and back...

wayward1
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
oh..and they sell new tires as well...but cant quote any prices because i never purchased any there.

Kerry
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels (http://www.tirerack.com)

Best prices on the best tires. In fact, the prices are so good your local retail tire store will not match the price, even if they offer price matching. You can have the tire dropped shipped to Wal-Mart who will install them for $10 per tire. Even after you pay shipping and the WalMart install you will still save a ton of money and get a better tire than you otherwise would have gotten. My last 4 sets of tires have come from them. Even if you pick the 3 to 5 day shipping option, you will still get them the next day via UPS. I bought my last at 4PM and they were at my house 9AM the next day.

Federal Disclaimer: The federal government requires me to inform you that I do not receive compensation from Tire Rack, or any of its subsidiaries in the Unites States or other countries. I am also required to tell you that I do not work for a competitor of Tire Rack or a retail establishment that sell tires or other products that competes with, or supports, Tire Rack or any of its suppliers. Furthermore, I am required to inform you that I do not own stock, or have any other vested interest, in Tire Rack, its competitors, and/or its suppliers.
http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/11/P034520endorsementguides.pdf

mireaux
11-23-2009, 11:17 AM
sears has been good to me for getting tires. they usually have great deals on tires and their service is the pinnacle as well.

mugofbeer
11-23-2009, 11:21 AM
sears has been good to me for getting tires. they usually have great deals on tires and their service is the pinnacle as well.

Discount Tires - Sears has decent tire prices but I have always found they want to charge labor on top of the tire price. Discount Tires simply sells the tires, puts them on and then guarantees them for one price thats about as low as you will find.

flippity
11-24-2009, 07:27 AM
I avoid Jackie Cooper Tires. Too expensive. Best prices consistently at Hibdon. Good advice above to avoid their mechanical services, though as I've been ripped off a time or two. Bought my first tires from Hibdon when it was one little converted service station down on SE 29th street. Now with the new owners they aren't as trustworthy but still low prices most of the time.

Also at Jackie Cooper if you get Z or Y rated tires, the warranty is only 50%..they don't completely cover road hazard

ms7168
11-25-2009, 04:31 AM
I buy tires online at the Tire Rack (tirerack.com) and have them drop-shipped to A to Z Tire on 10th east of May. Done this twice, and been happy both times.

Following his lead a few years ago I started using AtoZ Tire also and now I won't go anywhere else.

Hans
11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
It does depend on the tire size. For my car I can save $70 a tire by buying from tire rack, however it is a WEIRD size that is not factory on any car. For most people, its a better deal going to a local place and it helps support the local economy.