View Full Version : Historic neighborhoods in Edmond?

CG79
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
We're considering moving to Edmond in the next 1-2 years... Are there any historic/gentrified neighborhoods in Edmond? We really like the bungalow/craftsman style homes and also enjoy the atmosphere of street-style neighborhoods as opposed to large housing additions.

Are there any areas with nice, older homes (thinking kind of like Mesta Park area of OKC) in Edmond? Or any neighborhoods that we could buy a lot and build a bungalow/craftsman style home and not stick out like a sore thumb? :)

Thanks in advance! :)

OkieHornet
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
not sure if there's an actual name, but the neighborhood bordered by 2nd south to 9th, from Boulevard east to Rankin may fit your bill...

QueCeraCera
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Guthrie maybe?

JohnDenver
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
We're considering moving to Edmond in the next 1-2 years... Are there any historic/gentrified neighborhoods in Edmond?
Thanks in advance! :)

I don't think "gentrified" has a good connotation. Maybe use "updated" or "up and coming" or something..

CG79
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend with my choice of words.

Thanks for the responses....will check into that OkieHornet.

OKCisOK4me
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Other than the area over by the UCO Jazz Lab, as referred to above, Edmond, doesn't really have historical neighborhoods like Oklahoma City.

I kinda scoffed at the title of this and thought about the neighborhood where I grew up. Timber Ridge. Yes, that house was built in 1978 (I was just two weeks old when my parents moved in to it). That's historical--for me ;-)

kmf563
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Is there a reason you are thinking of Edmond?

The closest you could probably find is the above mentioned neighborhood. But nothing even close to Mesta Park comes to mind. If you go a little east towards lake arcadia the housing gets a little more character.

I would scan the MLS. It will show you all of the housing available for sale.

Untitled Page (http://www.okcrealtors.com/PropertySearch/NEW_RETS_SEARCH/MLSSearch_Properties.aspx)

CG79
08-31-2009, 07:38 AM
kmf563, we're considering moving because my husband's job is in Edmond. We also like all of the activities to do and the great schools are a major plus, too.

Thanks again for the suggestions...

andrea862
08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Check this one out...just east of 2nd & I-35.
McCaleb Homes - Building affordable new homes in Edmond and NW Oklahoma (http://www.mccalebhomes.com/index.cfm?method=OurCommunities_CommunityDetail&CommunityId=8)

mtpinto
08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Old Farm is a charming, tree filled, historic neighborhood.

CG79
09-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks, mtpinto, we will look at Old Farm.

And andrea862, that Arbor Creek neighborhood looks really promising. :) Thank you so much for your suggestion!

andrea862
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
You're welcome --good luck! :smile:

CuatrodeMayo
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
It may not be historic, but you just might love Morning Woods.

Welcome to Morning Woods… at The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2009/08/17/welcome-to-morning-woods/)

hipsterdoofus
09-02-2009, 03:09 PM
There are also some historic houses on North Boulevard, but most of them are on the small side.

Non-Edmondite in Edmond
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe you could call the Building Inspection department for City of Edmond and ask them about the types of houses you're looking for (either old ones or a new neighborhood that would be OK with that style home). I love one house in the Iron Horse Ranch neighborhood - it is very Frank Lloyd Wright style but every other home in there is the "french country" style that I'm getting tired of seeing. Anyway, maybe they could give you some ideas.

CG79
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Non-Edmondite :)

Will
01-27-2010, 04:22 PM
The Clegern Area is the area mentioned in the previous posts. Edmond , between 9th and 2nd and BLVD and Bryant. I live there and am also a realtor. There are three neighborhoods that make up this area: Clegern Heights, Capitol View, and Oakslawn. The homes are variable in size from 900 SF up to around 3000SF with a couple as large as 4-5000SF. Mostly built in the 1920's to 1970s with mature trees, close to two parks with walking trails, the University of Central Oklahoma. Prices from about $105-115 SF depending on if they have been remodled or not. And it is not technically a historic district, but there are historical structures and landmarks in the area. Let me know if you would like me to email you a list of what is on the market here. Edmond is a great place to live!! Hope you love it!

Steve
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
The problem with the older Edmond neighborhoods is that they were damaged quite a bit by bad zoning controls, so you have blocks with great Victorians and bungalows next to metal industrial buildings and even trailer homes.

EdmondBrad
01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
The problem with the older Edmond neighborhoods is that they were damaged quite a bit by bad zoning controls, so you have blocks with great Victorians and bungalows next to metal industrial buildings and even trailer homes.

huh?

hipsterdoofus
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
My grandma's place is old (listed 1907 on the county assessor's site) but it is the only house of decent size on her block - most are quite a bit smaller - she's only a few blocks from Danforth.

Spartan
01-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Check this one out...just east of 2nd & I-35.
McCaleb Homes - Building affordable new homes in Edmond and NW Oklahoma (http://www.mccalebhomes.com/index.cfm?method=OurCommunities_CommunityDetail&CommunityId=8)

I'm sorry, but no. You realize that the thread is about historic neighborhoods? Oh wait, this is Edmond..what else did I expect (*goes to throw up*).

I know of a historic sorority house in Edmond..and that's it. That's not what I like about the sorority house though.

Steve
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
EdmondBrad, drive through the oldest neighborhoods surrounding downtown Edmond. They would be great places to live, but they've got trailer parks and industrial metal buildings in them dating back to when Edmond apparently had less than stellar zoning.

EdmondBrad
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
EdmondBrad, drive through the oldest neighborhoods surrounding downtown Edmond. They would be great places to live, but they've got trailer parks and industrial metal buildings in them dating back to when Edmond apparently had less than stellar zoning.

Where is there a trailer park close to downtown Edmond?

Steve
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
On Main Street... it's about three to four residential blocks west of downtown. Also of weird light industrial and commercial properties in the mix out there too. All of this obviously dates back decades. I'm not saying this reflects on current zoning at all. But clearly these are neighborhoods that have yet to reach their full potential.

bombermwc
02-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Edmond....historical....um, no. It's classic suburbia with nothing spectacular to speak of.

RedDirt717
02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Edmond....historical....um, no. It's classic suburbia with nothing spectacular to speak of.

The first house I moved to in Edmond was a house my dad rebuilt, that was built in 1902. The second the family rebuilt is right across from the edmond library and was built in the 20s.

Ever been to downtown Edmond? Passed Edmonds first schoolhouse that was built in 1889 on Second street?

I hate Edmond, but to say it isn't historic is foolish.

I live next to UCO by Old North now.

hipsterdoofus
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
The first house I moved to in Edmond was a house my dad rebuilt, that was built in 1902. The second the family rebuilt is right across from the edmond library and was built in the 20s.

Ever been to downtown Edmond? Passed Edmonds first schoolhouse that was built in 1889 on Second street?

I hate Edmond, but to say it isn't historic is foolish.

I live next to UCO by Old North now.

Not only Edmond's first schoolhouse but public schoolhouse in Oklahoma Territory. When you say Edmond isn't historical, perhaps in contrast to locations in other states, but I'd say as far as any location in the metro, it has plenty of history. I grew up sitting on the stone on my grandma's front yard that has a ring it it for tying up horses...haven't see that around anywhere else.

soonerfan_in_okc
06-09-2010, 01:01 AM

bro you are arguing with the wrong person. If there was one person in Oklahoma city who I would go to with a question regarding the okc metro, it is steve.

CuatrodeMayo
06-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/) Check out the neighborhoods along Fretz.