View Full Version : Nourishing Traditions: An unconventional cookbook

Luke
08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm on my 7th week of a diet and exercise regimen. I have been following a book called The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. In the back of the book, there are several recipes which I've followed and have enjoyed thoroughly. Wanting a larger selection of recipes, I did some research and found that the author of the book pulled a lot of the recipes from a cook book entitled Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

After looking into that cookbook, I went ahead and purchased it.

So, basically the gist of Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions is to eat whole dairy (preferably raw), yogurt and other cultured dairy (sour cream, cream cheese, greek yogurt...), fermented foods, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs, steak, chicken, vegetables, fruit (though not too much), sprouted whole grains for use in baked goods, maple syrup, honey, stevia, natural dried sugar cane and nuts... Stuff like that (a lot of which we are raised thinking is "bad" for us.) And to pretty much avoid all processed foods.

It's not necessarily a low carb diet, however the amount of carbs and the quality of carbs that traditional cultures ate are much lower and better quality than the amount and quality of carbs in today's Standard American Diet which makes this more traditional style seem low carb by today's standard.

I've been on it for 7 weeks, have eaten what many of the diet dictocrats (author's word, not mine, but I like it) would call "unhealthy' and have managed to lose 13 pounds. I've been exercising as well and feel really good.

It sounds crazy and I'm not really sure how it works, but our bodies can somehow process red meat, dairy, fat, cheese and other "unhealthy" foods along with veggies and fruits and good whole grain sprouted carbs and actually lose weight.

A couple weeks ago I made a cheesecake which my family ate every night. Last week I made a carrot cake which my family ate every night. This week I made ice cream. It's just bizarre how changing up the recipe a little bit helps our bodies process it better (like using sprouted whole grain spelt instead of bleached flour, using maple syrup or honey or stevia instead of bleached sugar).

We are enjoying really dense yummy meals and getting healthy.

Anyone eat like this? Anyone have this cookbook?

Any comments or discussion?

DaveSkater
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
That sounds like a very intelligent menu. I too have recently begun (again) an exercise regimine and dietary adjustment. I think I'll google those cookbooks and have a go at some of the recipes.

I need to drop the 50lbs I've gained in the past year.

Luke
08-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I've certainly spent a lot more time in the kitchen (I've always been the cook in the household) but the results are about ten times better than any meal I used to cook. And to think I'm losing weight eating steaks and veggies with cheese and butter.

DaveSkater
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Sounds a damn site better than the rabbit food I've been choking down....to no avail.

There any natural beers in there? LOL

nik4411
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
haha rabbit food...

i too am just now starting a new phase... i'm trying to eat healthier and am getting back into exercising on a regular basis.
sounds like an interesting book. might have to check that out.

ronronnie1
08-27-2009, 12:09 AM
To me, it's all about the amount of food eaten rather then the kinds of food eaten. Sure, if you eat McDonalds and cheesecakes everyday then you're more likely to get fat. But if you just eat less of them AND exercise, you should be alright. I'd be willing to bet that you lost weight (Luke) due to the exercise and new awareness about your food habits - not so much a total overhaul of your diet. The one thing I will stress avoiding though is sugar. I switched from regular Coke to diet over a decade ago, and i've never been skinnier. People even mistake me for being anorexic. I love it.

Hang in there, and don't forget to KEEP EXERCISING too.