View Full Version : Norman/OKC Commuter Rail

BG918
08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Saw this article in the OU Daily about how Norman is working with other central Oklahoma cities to get a commuter rail system built between Norman-Oklahoma City-Edmond-Midwest City. Hopefully they get the grant! The article states that they would be ready, should they get the grant, to immediately begin building the second track on the BNSF ROW that is needed between Norman and Edmond.

OUDaily.com | Central Oklahoma competes for transportation grant (http://www.oudaily.com/news/2009/aug/26/central-oklahoma-competes-transportation-grant/)

king183
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
This would be fantastic. Let's hope we get the grant. If not, we should still prepare to find other revenue sources to make this happen.

OKCisOK4me
08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
This is pretty awesome. If we get it, my question is (and it's not important, but) I think of all the bridges over the highways, roads, rivers and creeks. A lot of these will be new and permanent ones but what about over I-235 just south of NW 50th St.?

I'd have to imagine that the future construction that is to be one day completed as a part of the whole Broadway Extension thing with the new I-44 junction will mean that a new temporary commuter rail bridge will eventually have to be replaced. Will it then, at that time, be paid for as part of the highway construction or will, if we get the grant and the commuter line is built, the riders have to pay for a new bridge, in that location?

king183
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
In addition to OKC's questions, does anyone have an idea how fast this proposed system will run? I hope it runs comparable to cars (~60 mph) so that people will be more attracted to using it. I'd use it every day to get to work if it can get me there relatively quickly.

Superhyper
08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
The Dallas TRE system runs it's trains at 60mph, but of course you've got to factor in stops and the like. I assume ours would be quite similar.

kevinpate
08-27-2009, 04:57 AM
I'll be more inclined to watch for this once Norman manages to build its short ditch under the track at Robinson, a process which seems to have just been extended yet again.

OKCisOK4me
08-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I'll be more inclined to watch for this once Norman manages to build its short ditch under the track at Robinson, a process which seems to have just been extended yet again.

Don't know where they'd get the funds for it, but I think they should just trench the BNSF through Norman. Have all the streets running overhead and then have one lone track, for Amtrak, and a ROW for this future commuter line to stop at the station at ground level. It should be this way in Edmond too. Though Norman needs it faster because of its monstrous size.

king183
08-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, looks like that dream (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_241021558) died quickly.

I'm constantly amazed at our city government's sheer incompetence. In this instance, it's cost us big time. Every government agency and business I've worked for, if competent, already has these plans on shelf for potential grant opportunities. They keep them constantly updated and ready to be modified in case such an opportunity arises. But, hey, we're in Norman.

The Norman Transcript - Norman won't be getting commuter rail through TIGER grant (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_241021558)

dismayed
08-29-2009, 03:52 PM
The city is obviously too busy conducting its checkpoints and other 'important work' to be bothered with economic development.

blangtang
08-30-2009, 02:32 AM
speedhumps are the current priority, i got that thru my thick skull

BG918
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, looks like that dream (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_241021558) died quickly.

I'm constantly amazed at our city government's sheer incompetence. In this instance, it's cost us big time. Every government agency and business I've worked for, if competent, already has these plans on shelf for potential grant opportunities. They keep them constantly updated and ready to be modified in case such an opportunity arises. But, hey, we're in Norman.

The Norman Transcript - Norman won't be getting commuter rail through TIGER grant (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_241021558)

That's too bad, seems like they could've put something together. I think Mayor Rosenthal has good ideas but is a poor leader. Leadership has cost the city getting a new library and now commuter rail. It will happen one of these days though, even if OKC or Edmond has to take the lead.

king183
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
That's too bad, seems like they could've put something together. I think Mayor Rosenthal has good ideas but is a poor leader. Leadership has cost the city getting a new library and now commuter rail. It will happen one of these days though, even if OKC or Edmond has to take the lead.

I think I would agree with that. I think she has some good ideas, but has been a terrible mayor, especially when it comes to leadership, which is THE major quality a mayor should possess.

dismayed
08-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Should have elected the west side businessman!

BG918
08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Should have elected the west side businessman!

Whoever it is they need to be a better leader for Norman and realize it is not only Oklahoma's third largest city with over 100,000 people but also one of the more progressive cities in the state and home to its largest flagship university. Norman is very much its own city that feeds off OKC, and vice versa, and is not simply a suburban bedroom community like Moore, Yukon, Edmond, Mustang, etc. Like Tulsa, Norman has a history of poor leadership that limits its potential. Just look at what good leadership has done for OU with President Boren...can he run Norman too??

Superhyper
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Haha, well I can say as a student/staff member of the University that OU is more than enough for one man. I can't imagine adding the city and all of it's managerial joys to the mix!

Whoever it is they need to be a better leader for Norman and realize it is not only Oklahoma's third largest city with over 100,000 people but also one of the more progressive cities in the state and home to its largest flagship university. Norman is very much its own city that feeds off OKC, and vice versa, and is not simply a suburban bedroom community like Moore, Yukon, Edmond, Mustang, etc. Like Tulsa, Norman has a history of poor leadership that limits its potential. Just look at what good leadership has done for OU with President Boren...can he run Norman too??

kevinpate
09-03-2009, 05:34 PM
One might even opine that a strong university and a city covered in multiple missteps, at least in the eyes of some, makes for a somewhat stronger university. One might also disagree of course.

PLANSIT
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Before passing judgment, the posters here should understand that the Norman - OKC line was one of three projects originally included in the TIGER application. However, do to the many shortcomings (ROW acquisition, business plan, etc) for inclusion of the Norman - OKC and Edmond - OKC lines were deemed premature by the applicants and consultants, and could potentially hurt any real possibility of receiving discretionary funds. Please understand that with inclusion of the Norman and Edmond line there would be virtually zero chance of funding. Norman put its full support behind the MWC - OKC line and is working diligently to address the aforesaid issues for future grant opportunities. Norman is an active member of the Regional Transit Dialogue and advocates continually for regional transit for Central Oklahoma. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and ensure that when transit arrives we give it the best opportunity to thrive.

betts
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
So, is this old news or an alternate funding mechanism? This has a much better chance of significant ridership than high speed rail between Tulsa and OKC. If I were the federal government and had to pick, I'd definitely pick this one.

Norman's light rail hopes get boost | AP Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6670897.html)

NORMAN, Okla. — Norman's prospects for commuter rail service have improved since the Oklahoma Department of Transportation included the city in its grant application for federal funds.

Mayor Cindy Rosenthal says a line between Oklahoma City and Norman was recently added to the agency's plans for seeking federal economic stimulus money for passenger rail projects. Rosenthal says that has made the issue of metro-wide transit more visible than ever.

Rosenthal says she's cautiously optimistic about the city's chances because stimulus projects typically have to be shovel-ready.

She says double-tracking between Oklahoma City and Norman would fall within property owned by Burlington Northern Santa Fe and that the railroad company is supportive of the prospect. BNSF is based in Fort Worth, Texas.

Projects will be funded within three or four months.