View Full Version : Walnut Avenue Bridge

Patrick
08-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, as many of you heard last week, the Walnut Avenue Bridge connecting Deep Deuce and Bricktown is finally going to get revamped. I've been wondering for quite some time now when work was going to get started on this project. I remember several months ago when many fought to save that bridge because of its history in the Black community. Civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King, JR walked across that bridge on Civil Rights marches. And of course I remember those like Jim Brewer who fought for replacement of the bridge with a ground level crossing. In that instance, Jim was fighting more for his pocket book than history, as the bridge does block good site of some of the properties on Main Street. Regardless, I'm glad to see history being preserved for once. By the way, much of this will be funded by the last bond issue that was passed, but I believe Union Pacific Railroad will be forced to fork some money over. The bridge will be restored to it's appearance in the 1920's.

Here's the story:

City bridge closes for at least a year

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

The Walnut Avenue bridge, a key link between Bricktown and Deep Deuce, will be closed for at least a year until a $3 million rehabilitation can be completed.
Oklahoma City Engineer Paul Brum said Thursday the discovery of deteriorated beams prompted him to close the span to traffic.

Preservationists fought a long battle to save the bridge and restore it to its original Depression-era appearance. That battle ended three years ago. Brum blamed project delays on difficulty getting approval from the Union Pacific Railroad, which owns tracks under the bridge.

"We're concerned about it," Brum said. "Some overweight truck could get on the bridge and cause major problems. We won't make any temporary repairs -- they're costly, and we're anticipating getting approval from the railroad to start work in the next 30 days."

Brum said the bridge could reopen by late 2005 if work starts this fall.

floater
08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
I hope this includes a historical marker explaining why this bridge was saved. A smoother, more attractive pedestrian/bike path would also promote a stronger Deep Deuce-Bricktown connection.

The Walnut Avenue bridge provides one of the best vantage points of downtown. From the walkway you can get a hearty view of the skyline. From the top, you have a nice vista of the Centennial Fountain and Harkins Theatre.

Patrick
08-09-2004, 08:10 PM
floater, from what I've been told the bridge will contain a historical marker detailing the history of the bridge, and the pedestrian paths on either side of the bridge will be improved. Also, nice antique style lamps to match other lighting in Bricktown will be added to the bridge, something the bridge does not have at the present time.

floater
08-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Ahhh, good news indeed!! Thanks Patrick.

metro
05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
updated pics of the reconstruction:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/204

BDP
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Am I making this up, or did I read somewhere that there were plans to put in a Walnut street exit on 235?

John
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Am I making this up, or did I read somewhere that there were plans to put in a Walnut street exit on 235?

You heard right.

The 6th St. exit will become the 'Bricktown' exit and go through the Triangle/Flatiron area and reach Bricktown via the new Walnut Ave. Bridge.

HOT ROD
06-23-2005, 01:46 AM
I hope the freeway signs (the primary ones) dont say Bricktown.

There is more to downtown Oklahoma City than just Bricktown. We could have some smaller side signs that say Bricktown, but the main sign (on the gantry) should say Downtown or Downtown Oklahoma City.

While Bricktown is probably the primary draw, we need to recognize and promote all of downtown. On that note, we need to promote other districts in this city as well - Asia District, Cap Hill, Paseo, ..... So we get people off the freeways and into our inner city to see what OKC is really about. Im sure most would be surprised and very much gratified.