View Full Version : Gun Dealers

jstanthrnme
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm painfully clueless when it comes to guns.

I'm looking for advice from an honest, reputable gun dealer who can help me identify, and value an antique shotgun I've inherited. Does anyone have any experience with local gun dealers, and can you recomend some?

The said shotgun is a side-by-side double barrel (30"), A. H. Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga. I'd need help finding out the condition and grade..

NativeOkie
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
outdooramericastore.com

I have purchased something from them in the past. (Not saying I purchased guns just in case the government is monitoring me now.)

These guys seem to know their stuff, there is also bass pro shop in bricktown to name two.

MsDarkstar
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
The guys at H&H Gun Range off I-40 & Meridian have always been very helpful to me. My dad really likes the folks at Big Boys Guns & Ammo over on South Council. If memory serves, I think they deal with antiques too.

DaveSkater
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
The guys at H&H Gun Range off I-40 & Meridian have always been very helpful to me. My dad really likes the folks at Big Boys Guns & Ammo over on South Council. If memory serves, I think they deal with antiques too.

Both excellent places. A couple of other ones would be King Gun and Pawn in MWC and Brigadoon's in MWC. (both good for valuations)

bjhenley
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree with NativeOkie Outdoor America Store on N McArthur around 13th Street. Good people there.

MadMonk
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Outdoor America gets my vote. I've heard good things about Big Boys G&A too, but I've never been there.

positano
08-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Subject to the exception of a few individuals, most of the gun shops (IMO) in the area don't have an abundance of knowledgeable staff, nor would I trust most of them to give an accurate appraisal. Some may be adequate for selling an inexperienced person his/her first gun or two, but I'm afraid that other than recommending the right Glock or AR I wouldn't go to one of the local dealers for firearms advice.

For an antique shotgun, I would recommend doing a great deal of homework (Internet has a tremendous amount of information - you might even find a pedigree if you include a serial number). You could even check the "blue books" of gun values - they typically provide a range of values based on the different conditions. If you want help judging condition, I would recommend getting opinions of some gunsmiths (as opposed to dealers). Most of those guys are word-of-mouth, so you might check the phone book or ask the dealers who they recommend.

There are some quality gun folks out there, but unfortunately you have to dig quite a bit to find someone who really knows their stuff.

Bottom line - I would avoid dealers and their associated gunsmiths. Do some independent research and find an independent gunsmith(s) to help you judge condition.

jstanthrnme
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Thats kind of what I was thinking positano. I've never been a fan of guns, so I really know very little about them. I would think that a dealer, knowing I have little interest and knowledge in firearms would undervalue this piece in the event I'd have any interest in selling it. I have been doing research on it, and to be honest, it is kind of interesting. I never imagined there could be so many variations.

I will get some quotes from the places mentioned above and continue to learn more about it.

PennyQuilts
08-26-2009, 04:50 AM
My husband is not a hunter. He is not military although he enjoys the history. He loves his guns because he loves machines. If I have heard once how a gun works, the mechanisms, blah, blah, blah, I have heard it twenty billion times. A lot of people think guns are for hunters or robbing convenience stores. If you are the geeky male type with a mechanical bent, chances are, you will love messing with guns, taking them apart, putting them back together, going to the range, reloading, etc. And stats? OMG, forget baseball. I have seen gun people froth at the mouth discussing what gun accepts what calliber of ammunition.

fuzzytoad
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
you could also try looking for info on Oklahoma Shooters Association (http://www.okshooters.com/index.php)

Don't be put off by the lack of updating on the main page. The Forum there is *very* active.

You could post pics of the shotgun and gather info on/from local collectors who aren't associated with dealers who would be more than happy to give you an appraisal, if not a complete history of the weapon.

trousers
08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I'll throw my vote in for Outdoor America, knowledgeable, helpful staff.