View Full Version : towns with bad cops.

decepticobra
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
good cop, bad cop, no doughnut for you officer.

what towns and cities in oklahoma are known for having unruly corrupt police officers?

you know the kinds of cops that im talking about. the kinds that still insist on writing tickets for every little legal infraction they can long after they have met their monthly citation quota.

imho, i think valley brook has some pretty awful cops. when you have a one-square mile town who's chief industry is male adult entertainment and that industry doesnt bring in sufficient tax dollars to operate their town, that deficit has to be made up via other avenues= police citations.

i used to reside in del city and used to work at crossroads mall (when it was still a financially healthly mall) and taking s.e. 59th street to get to the north entrance of the mall by the railroad tracks was quite convienient for me, however i began avoiding that route like the plague once i was issued a ticket for such a small traffic infraction. so i began taking I-240 instead to avoid further incidents.

soonerguru
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Norman.

Jesseda
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
i always hear luther cops on the news, whats with that? never been to luther. oh yeah valley brook is really bad.

king183
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I've never had a problem with cops anywhere when I deal them, but from what I hear, I'm one of the lucky few. Norman cops seem to be fine, but I also hear horror stories.

By the way, it is a myth that they have a monthly ticket quota. Such a quota is against the law.

AFCM
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I challenge anyone to drive on Tinker AFB, assuming he/she possesses the proper identification for admission, and not witness a traffic stop during his/her commute.

The individuals performing law enforcement functions on Tinker AFB, and most military installations around the world, have a serious disconnect between the "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law".

Bunty
08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Logan County Cops. It's not limited to small towns.

DaveSkater
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
The nice officer who stopped me yesterday for 51 in a 40 looked at my license, which is incidentally in the same plastic fold out sleeve as my CCW license, smiled, handed it back and said, "Just slow 'er down please. Have a nice day."

I've never had trouble with policemen. Even when I was on the wrong side of the law.

hagrid
08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Strange as it may sound, the city cops in Lexington always had a reputation for being "unfriendly" towards the correctional officers who work at the two state prisons outside of Lexington.

If you live in Purcell, you pretty much have to drive through Lexington.

okyeah
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Norman...I've gotten too many tickets here..mostly speeding tickets for going 10 over.

nik4411
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Norman cops are terrible.

Way over in eastern Oklahoma, the town of Roland has notoriously corrupt cops. I used to live in fort smith, so it was easiest to pass through Roland to get to I-40. Once several years back, their whole police force was shut down and control was conceded to state police while the FBI completed an inquiry into their policing methods, and why they were handing out so many tickets for such a small town. They found that they were getting on the interstate and handing out tickets outside of their jurisdiction or something like that.

kevinpate
08-25-2009, 02:59 PM
> mostly speeding tickets for going 10 over.

And this seems out of place to you why? A stop for 10 or 10+ over is not real unique to Norman, particularly on interior primary streets in a community.

Though blessed with warnings by and large, but I've met officers in several jurisdictions on excess amounts well below 10 over in my driving years.

decepticobra
08-25-2009, 03:06 PM
By the way, it is a myth that they have a monthly ticket quota. Such a quota is against the law.

really??..i learn something new everyday. so, if theres no monthly quota then what is the pressure that keeps them active on writing tickets and not simply loafing around all day looking at pretty girls walking by?

OKCTalker
08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
The nice officer who stopped me yesterday for 51 in a 40 looked at my license, which is incidentally in the same plastic fold out sleeve as my CCW license, smiled, handed it back and said, "Just slow 'er down please. Have a nice day."

I've never had trouble with policemen. Even when I was on the wrong side of the law.

I trust that you greeted him with the obligatory "Officer, I have a conceal-carry permit and my weapon is with me" announcement?

andy157
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Does anybody know Chief Citty? If so, maybe they can ask him to explain what, if any, coralation there is between his officers upholding the law, or not upholding the law based upon a persons ability to produce a CCW permit.

hagrid
08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
really??..i learn something new everyday. so, if theres no monthly quota then what is the pressure that keeps them active on writing tickets and not simply loafing around all day looking at pretty girls walking by?

I wonder if there is an unwritten donut quota? LOL. Just kidding Sgt. Stadanko.

And since I am not a cop hater, I want to add that we have a great sheriff in our small town of Hooterville.

The city cops in Hooterville make a miserable $8.00/hour. Who can live on that?

Why would a CCW keep a person from getting a ticket? That's stupid. Does that make you special? I thought only blonde bombshells with hooters tshirts on get to slide.

Hollywood
08-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Would you prefer your tax dollars to pay the salary of an officer who sat around all day? Or would you rather the money go towards someone who upholds the law(s) as described in the city ordnances of the city as well as the state statutes of Oklahoma?

Like was mentioned... there are no quotas. There may be a number of "contacts" required by each officer during the course of his shift. But those are to prove the officer isn't lazy and is earning his pay. Contacts are gained by traffic stops be it a citation or a warning as well as field interviews of suspicious persons. If the officer wants to write tickets... he can write as many as he wants.

On the flip side, you will find guys who pretty much only write warnings. I will admit it is very hard to write warnings after working upwards of five traffic accidents per day which could have been easily avoided by obeying the rather simple traffic laws on the books.

andy157
08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
really??..i learn something new everyday. so, if theres no monthly quota then what is the pressure that keeps them active on writing tickets and not simply loafing around all day looking at pretty girls walking by?You gave us the reason in your OP. Remember that shortfall in revenue issue you mentioned?

MadMonk
08-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I trust that you greeted him with the obligatory "Officer, I have a conceal-carry permit and my weapon is with me" announcement?
IF he had it with him. :kicking:

Valley Brook is the big one that springs to mind. I know cops who avoid that area even when in their cruiser. Guess there's no such thing as professional courtesy in Valley Brook.

ronronnie1
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Norman

okyeah
08-25-2009, 08:43 PM
> mostly speeding tickets for going 10 over.

And this seems out of place to you why? A stop for 10 or 10+ over is not real unique to Norman, particularly on interior primary streets in a community.

Though blessed with warnings by and large, but I've met officers in several jurisdictions on excess amounts well below 10 over in my driving years.

well, I speed in OKC too, but I've never gotten any speeding tickets in OKC, but I've gotten 4 in Norman. I got a ticket for going 10 over on Highway 9 once...when other drivers were flying past me! but I've learned in Norman, you HAVE to drive at or below the speed limit. and it's pretty much impossible now to speed on the "interior primary streets" in Norman's communities due to speed humps...lol I actually have to slow my car down quite a bit since those things are about 2 feet tall

sgray
08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Logan County, Nichols Hills, and Midwest City (On MWC, more so the Court with their Dukes of Hazzard "I'm gonna kick your a**" judge than the cops themselves)

DaveSkater
08-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Absolutely.

DaveSkater
08-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Does anybody know Chief Citty? If so, maybe they can ask him to explain what, if any, coralation there is between his officers upholding the law, or not upholding the law based upon a persons ability to produce a CCW permit.

I don't know Chief Citty. There is no corellation between upholding the law based on CCW permits either. That would be against the law. HOWEVER, just based on the background checks, and the scrutiny placed upon CCW holders during the application process shows the officer that your an upstanding and law abiding citizen, that you haven't been convicted of violent offenses or felonies, and that you demonstrate enough responsibility to complete a 3 month process to obtain said permit.

The OSBI and Sheriff's office do extensive background checks on all CCW applicants, and don't give one to just anybody.

However, if you're talking about minor speeding or traffic offenses, sure the cops might be willing to let some stuff slide. Major offenses, felonies and other violent acts, no way. In fact the penalties are much higher if a CCW carrier is packing and commits a felony.

kevinpate
08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
okyeah, this is not an official statement, but many years in the community suggests to be the magic number is 6, maybe 7. I've never seen or heard of a 6 over ticket being written, and I've known a few golden ticket holders so to speak. i can only recall hearing of a couple of 7 over tickets, and each that I recall involved a driver with a somewhat sarcastic mouth who was not having a good day to begin with (and yes, long ago, that applied to me as well.)

Another tidbit to share regarding Norman traffic stops. If you're being reminded you don't have on a selt belt, the most appropriate response is NOT to look disgusted as you ask the officer "don't you have something more important to be worrying about?" Turns out that's a sure fire way to turn a warning into a citation. 8^)

mugofbeer
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
The worst cops are the ones without a heart, the ones who ticket people in places they drive everyday and who often don't have a chance to properly defend themselves in court. They are the ones who I have personally witnessed ticketing people when they did nothing wrong. These cops are pervading the system under the pretense of "reducing accidents" when we all know they are nothing but a way for the city to generate revenue. These cops are the automatic photograph machines that ticket you but you don't find out about the ticket until weeks later. You are assumed guilty unless you can defend yourself but because you may not have even been aware of your ticket until a later date, you can't defend yourself. I sat at an intersection eating my lunch one day and watched one of these things go off time and time again, photographing cars that were lawfully in the intersection. I don't trust them, I don't like something that can damage my driving record when I may not be able to defend myself or even know the facts of the incident. They should not be allowed!

decepticobra
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Would you prefer your tax dollars to pay the salary of an officer who sat around all day?

uh, no..id actually prefer my tax dollars to stay with me and to see more of them coming my way way when i file my taxes., and for all these bored cops to leave me and other motorists the flip alone and stop being a bunch of cowards and go after the real criminals: gangbangers, thieves, murderers, etc.

rondvu
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't know about bad cops, but Forest Park is notorious for writing speeding tickets. So keep you need for speed down as you travel through their lovely township.

Hollywood
08-27-2009, 07:07 PM
uh, no..id actually prefer my tax dollars to stay with me and to see more of them coming my way way when i file my taxes., and for all these bored cops to leave me and other motorists the flip alone and stop being a bunch of cowards and go after the real criminals: gangbangers, thieves, murderers, etc.

You'd be amazed at how many "real criminals" are apprehended on "routine" traffic stops. They drive too. I would hardly say an officer is being a "coward" for making a traffic stop. There is more than enough dash cam footage out there showing the murder of police officers making simple traffic stops.

On the other hand... do your part. If something "minor" ever happens to you don't call the police. They can't apprehend a "real criminal" if they are doing an accident report for you or telling your neighbors to stop playing their drums and guitars at midnight.