View Full Version : Concealed carry?

MadMonk
08-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Who here has a concealed carry license? Just curious...how long did it take for the paperwork, background check, etc to complete? I'm going to the class this Sunday and then to the Sheriff's office on Monday to get the ball rolling.

HVAC Instructor
08-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Who here has a concealed carry license? Just curious...how long did it take for the paperwork, background check, etc to complete? I'm going to the class this Sunday and then to the Sheriff's office on Monday to get the ball rolling.

I had a carry permit in Georgia and intend to get one here. Georgia took about 4-6 weeks from my memory of 20 years ago, lol. The wheels of state government tend to grind sloooowly.

I'd like to know too.

MadMonk
08-22-2009, 09:36 AM
The paperwork says the sheriff can take up to two weeks to do their checks and then the OSBI can take up to 90 days. I'm hoping it's shorter than that, but with the recent rush of applications I wonder if they are backlogged. I've waited a while to do this in the hope that the queue has cleared a bit.

Luke
08-22-2009, 09:39 AM
...but with all the recent applications I wonder if they are a bit backlogged.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VU11A61FM68/SeCS2IXj_DI/AAAAAAAAEa4/N2s2Kke4D6Y/s400/NRA+Firearms+Salesman+of+the+Year.jpg

;)

HVAC Instructor
08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
The paperwork says the sheriff can take up to two weeks to do their checks and then the OSBI can take up to 90 days. I'm hoping it's shorter than that, but with all the recent applications I wonder if they are a bit backlogged.

The best you can do is submit your fees & paperwork and forget about it. Next thing you know, it's in the mailbox one day when you get home from work. Kinda like state mechanical and electrical licenses. At least now you can get your exam results pretty quick in most states. They just take their time getting you the slip of paper.

DaveSkater
08-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I have several friends who conduct the course.
I had to wait a couple of weeks for the course itself, which consisted of a two day 8 hour (2 x 4 hour classes) course. The first part was the legal ramifications, the whens, the where's, what constituted threats, and what didn't. Then you move on to the safety aspect of loading, handling, transporting and presenting your gun.
The second part of the course was range time. You have to qualify on a range with time limits and accuracy. Both parts of the classes were painfully easy for anyone who's ever handled a gun.

You then fill out the OSBI form available from Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - Concealed Weapons Licensing (http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/)
and follow the instructions to the letter. That's the most important part. When you bring your completed course certificate, with 2 passport grade photo's to the county sheriff's office, you must bring the osbi application with you. DON'T FORGET THE COVER SHEET like I did. LOL.

From there they'll fingerprint you, and you pay your 25 bucks to the sheriff and your 150 bucks to the OSBI. I believe the OSBI portion will take VISA, but the sheriff only takes cash....call to confirm. Your best bet to do this is downtown in the basement of the county jail for no other reason that the fingerprint clerk knows what she's doing. I know several people who had to go get re fingerprinted several times, slowing the process down.

It took me 70 days from the time I submitted my application to when I was notified by mail to come pick up my license.

Now that I have it, I almost wish that I was still living in ignorance about state laws regarding defending myself.... Almost. LOL

Oh, be sure to qualify with a semi auto pistol. That way you'll automatically be qualified for revolvers and derringers.

PennyQuilts
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Just as an aside - in Virginia, which is an open carry state, the class to take for a concealed carry (including range time) was less than a day and completely useless. Husband was aware of the Oklahoma classes and couldn't believe how lax the one in Virginia was. We really didn't even get into much law, which was a disappointment. I thought it was a waste of time, frankly.

Nermel
08-22-2009, 05:51 PM
About how long is it taking OSBI to process renewals? I mailed mine a couple of weeks ago.

DaveSkater
08-23-2009, 09:22 AM
60 to 80 days

MadMonk
08-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Got my training certificate today. It was an interesting and informative class and like DaveSkater indicated, if you've had any experience shooting and your common sense remains intact, this is a very easy course to sucessfully complete.

DaveSkater
08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Congrats MadMonk, now the for the waiting.....

I'm sure your instructor told you that if you've EVER been handcuffed, put in the back of a squad car, or have ever been arrested , whether guilty or not, to write it down.

Give the OSBI more information than they need. That's what I did, and I've got a bit of a checkered past....lol

Be absolutely truthful.

MadMonk
08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
No worried...I'm squeeky clean.

woodyrr
08-24-2009, 05:24 PM
About how long is it taking OSBI to process renewals? I mailed mine a couple of weeks ago.

I recently received my renewed license. I sent it in about a week after I received the expiration notice from the OSBI. It was delivered by certified mail the day before the previous license expired. The elapsed time frame was approximately 80 days.

Nermel
10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I just received my new (renewed) permit today. Renewal time was just under 70 days. Sounds like OSBI is getting better with the long queue.