View Full Version : Disney's "A Christmas Carol" Train Tour... in OKC this weekend

Luke
08-21-2009, 06:44 AM
My family will be checking this out this weekend. It's a promotion for the upcoming movie "A Christmas Carol" this holiday season.

Train Tour (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/)

ALL ABOARD FOR “DISNEY’S
A CHRISTMAS CAROL” TRAIN TOUR
FROM SNEAK PEEKS OF EXCLUSIVE 3D FILM FOOTAGE
TO SUMMERTIME SNOW – DISNEY PULLS OUT ALL THE WHISTLE STOPS
FOR 40-CITY TRAVELING EXPERIENCE

Departing Los Angeles May 22; Tour to Cover More Than 16,000 Miles

Burbank, Calif. (May 8, 2009) -- Disney is pulling out all the whistle stops and taking its show on the
road with a spectacular immersive and interactive 40-city train tour including a 3D sneak peek of film
footage from the upcoming movie “Disney’s A Christmas Carol,” it was announced today (05/08/09) by
Dick Cook, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. Set amidst a snowy backdrop—complete with all of the
sights and sounds of Christmas including carolers, decorations, giveaways and many more surprises in
each of the 40 cities—the Train Tour is being launched with HP on board as the title and technology
sponsor and driven by Amtrak. This family event is for guests of all ages and is free to the public.

westsidesooner
08-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the headsup Luke. That sounds interesting and I may have to give it a look see this weekend. Hard to get in the Christmas spirit this early but wth, at least its a cool train. And I wanna check out the morph thing.

Karried
08-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Luke, do you know exactly where this will be?

oneforone
08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Luke, do you know exactly where this will be?

Karrie,according to Disney's website it will be at the Santa Fe Depot in Downtown OKC. Today and Saturday 9-7 Sunday 9-4.

Train Tour (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/#/map/oklahoma_city)

Luke
08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Yep, downtown. As I was driving by this morning, it looks like they have the station's parking lot cordoned off.

Karried
08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks! Looks pretty cool.

metro
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I saw them setting up for this yesterday, and almost posted if anyone knew what was going on. Thanks for the thread! I drove by at lunch today and it was fairly busy, I imagine this weekend they will see good traffic. Great to see new and different things to do downtown.

westsidesooner
08-24-2009, 09:04 AM
We tried to go to this on Saturday afternoon around 3pm. While walking to the train station we witnessed a horrible accident on E K Gaylord involving 2 pedestrians and a pickup truck. We stayed with the victims til the fire dept got there then went on down to the station. There was a 2-3 hour wait so we decided to go back Sunday morning when it opened. (Besides, we werent really in the spirit after seeing people fly through the air.)

The train was very cool.....I hope everyone made it out to see it. And in hindsight I hope everyone had a safe weekend. I cant get the image of the accident out of my mind. Big bummer.

Luke
08-24-2009, 09:08 AM
We went around the same time you did, westsidesooner. We were told the wait was one and a half hours to see the train. We would have loved to have stayed, but we didn't think to bring sun block and the idea of my daughter baking in the sun didn't appeal to me.

Thankfully, we were able to get a free DVD out of it (which my daughter has watched about 4 times already!) and see some "snow". But, that was about it.

So, in order to get our Disney fix, we headed up to the Disney Store at Quail Springs Mall. We're cool like that. ;)

By the way, westsidesooner, I feel badly that you witnessed that and I can only hope everyone is OK.

That is an intersection I'd love to see large pedestrian bridges over (much like are found on the Las Vegas Strip).

metro
08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
We tried to take my nephew about 2:30 on Sunday. The line was 2 hrs long to get to the train station and then we were told another 1.5-2hrs to go through the entire exhibit and the train didn't have a/c. some people coming out said it was packed all the way through and it stunk like crazy. We opted to let him play in the water fountains next to Melting Pot instead.

westsidesooner
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Since you two didnt make it in to the train I'll post these pics for you. I wasnt going to post them since they are kinda blurry....but blurry is better than nothing I guess. train tour | Slideshow (http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slideshow?site=snicksflicks&page=snicksflicks&album=569)

We only had to wait about 20 minutes on Sunday morning (around 9) so the heat wasnt that bad. The train was air conditioned....though not real cool, and they had misters and snow machines on the platform near the line. The also had water coolers to get a drink of water. There were carolers to entertain you while in line as well.

The accident I mentioned was at ek Gaylord and Main. They have the new talking crosswalks there so it should have never happened. Of the two people crossing the street and the two in the truck noone was paying attention. I cant help but think the construction at the intersection had something to do with it. Ive tried to find out how the men are doing but havent seen anything on the news about it. If anyone heard anything about it Id like to know how the two men are doing...

Platemaker
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
So I'm driving on Robinson under the Santa Fe tracks on Saturday night when the Disney train blows its whistle....

Scared the ever-lovin' #$%! outta my backseat driver.... she SCREAMS... I swerve... hit the curb... scratch up the front passenger-side rim.... thank god it was my brother's car!

... he still hasn't noticed.

khook
08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
We went Saturday around two. When you walked in the station doors they had a person telling how long of wait it would be till you got inside the train. Ours was an Hour and forty five minutes. And they were right on the button on how long the wait would be. Train was very interesting. And even though the lines were long, crowds were in good spirits and well behaved. Also your wait was all inside or shaded. Plus the weather this weekend was great.... not to hot...... The ten minute 3-d preview at the end of the tour was very interesting. And did exactly what is was suppose to do - get you interested in seeing the movie in November. The 3-d effects and overall effects look to be top rate and should make for a great story to be told.

mark
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
i work downtown, so my wife dropped off my daughter here andwe drove over. friday at 5:45, walked right on the train.

decepticobra
08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
funny how disney is marketing "the classic disney" of yesteryear and not today's disney: hannah montana, the suite life, high school musical (insert current numerical figure).

westsidesooner
08-24-2009, 01:48 PM
The ten minute 3-d preview at the end of the tour was very interesting. And did exactly what is was suppose to do - get you interested in seeing the movie in November. The 3-d effects and overall effects look to be top rate and should make for a great story to be told.

The 3D effects were the best by far that I've ever seen. Between the snowflakes, the chains on Marleys ghost and the whip cracking it looked very well done. I dont know whether it was the technique they used to shoot it, or the cool glasses they handed out to watch the preview with. I was hoping they'd let us keep the glasses. When the movie comes out they'll probably give out the cheesy ones that dont work well.

Jesseda
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
i didnt get to go to do this with my kiddos this weekend but i am taking them to see this, they love christmas movies, cant wait

dances with cameras
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I took my 2 kids on Sunday around 2:30-ish. We were told it would be a 2hour 15 minute wait. That probably would have been about right, except that once inside the depot (in that stinkin little sweaty room where the line zigzagged about 10 times) it ground to a halt. They told us that someone passed out in the train and EMTs had issues getting a gurney onto the train.

We finally got on board, and though my 11 year old son and I dug it, my 8 year old daughter was thoroughly unimpressed. Dickens is a little over her head I think. She and the other kids under 10 years old seemed disappointed. I will say that the movie itself looks pretty impressive. Can't wait to see it.

But it was no fun watching the crew tear everything down as we were waiting in line. Next time something like this comes through, I'll be there the FIRST day.

dismayed
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
The 3D effects were the best by far that I've ever seen. Between the snowflakes, the chains on Marleys ghost and the whip cracking it looked very well done. I dont know whether it was the technique they used to shoot it, or the cool glasses they handed out to watch the preview with. I was hoping they'd let us keep the glasses. When the movie comes out they'll probably give out the cheesy ones that dont work well.

I was at the Warren this past week watching a 3-D movie and they showed a preview for A Christmas Carol, and I agree the snow flakes were amazing!

Luke
08-25-2009, 04:27 AM
When we went to the Magic Kingdom for New Years a couple years ago, they had that snow coming down the whole length of Main Street, USA at night. With the classic Christmas decor and lights, it was just magical.

Ah, the memories.

Oh, how I'd love for Oklahoma to be closer to a Disney Park.