View Full Version : OKC native Rick Bayless wins Top Chef Masters

metro
08-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Did anyone watch the finale last night? I was glad Bayless won. I'm still hoping he'll open a restaurant in his boyhood home someday. He also seemed to be the most level headed chef in Top Chef Masters.:congrats:

alan
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
i've always been a big rick bayless fan, i had no idea he was from okc.

(sidebar: there is a place just north of NW 10th on rockwell called Taquiria La Original that reminds me of rick's cooking. love that place!)

OKCDrummer77
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
^^ That's not far from home. I'll be sure to check them out someday.

tuck
08-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Did anyone watch the finale last night? I was glad Bayless won. I'm still hoping he'll open a restaurant in his boyhood home someday. He also seemed to be the most level headed chef in Top Chef Masters.:congrats:

Never going to happen...sorry. Did you know that Frontera Grill was awarded the "Best Restaurant" in America by The James Beard Foundation?

icecold
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I watched it and wish I could eat at his restaurant. I think (but am not sure) that you can buy his Frontera line of products at Whole Foods. I believe I read somewhere that Pres Obama wanted him to be the White House chef but he respectfully declined. (I think Rick Smith, Oprahs chef, decided to take the job.) After watching Rick Bayless on tv he seemed so level headed and mild mannered. Its hard me to imagine him and his outlandish talking head brother Skip are actually brothers.

metro
08-21-2009, 08:43 AM
icecold, yes you can by Frontera at Whole Foods, but as I mentioned above, you can also get some of his line at Walmart and Target even.

tuck, I know it's far fetched, but why do you say it will never happen?

tuck
08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
tuck, I know it's far fetched, but why do you say it will never happen?[/QUOTE]

It would more of an emotional move for Bayless to venture back into OKC. The financial move just woudn't make sense.

metro
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Well I can agree with that, but I'm still hoping he'll make an "emotional" move for a restaurant in OKC.

John
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Bayless is very deserving of the title. If you're ever in Chicago, be sure to make it to one of his eateries. Looking forward to trying XOCO on my next trip back to the Windy City!

If I remember correctly, wasn't Bayless was behind the development of Cabo del Sol in some fashion? (consulted/developed menu & chef studied under him?)

The masses rejected it b/c it wasn't 'tex-mex' enough. One of my favorites, while it was around.

SoonerQueen
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Rick and his brother Skip are both from OKC and graduated from Northwest Classen High School. Skip works for ESPN,and Rick is a master chef. They have both done quite well for themselves.

icecold
08-22-2009, 12:38 PM
icecold, yes you can by Frontera at Whole Foods, but as I mentioned above, you can also get some of his line at Walmart and Target even.

:ohno: Umm unless you wrote that invisible ink you did not say that in your original post. It is nice to know that you can get them there. I will be looking.

foodiefan
08-22-2009, 03:04 PM
. . . I believe Akins (63rd/May) also carries some of his product.

bristolscene
08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I've been watching recently but did not know he was from OKC. That's cool.

I had hoped either he or Hubert Keller would win.