View Full Version : States' Electronic Toll System Interoperability

SoonerDave
08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Many states are adopting their own variety of PikePass system; in Texas its TollTag, etc.

One of the "fringe" problems that many of these systems do not address (primarily due to their relative infancy) is their lack of interoperability, eg ability to allow an electronic toll tag from, say, Oklahoma, to be used to debit an account for a road used in Texas.

As Texas (and other) states migrate their toll systems away (completely) from cash booths to exclusively electronic tolling systems, customers are led to purchase a toll tag of some denomination, and "refill" it periodically. Users without tolltags are caught via their license tag, snapped by camera automatically when a violator is detected; an offender is simply mailed a bill (and, possibly, a hefty fine).

For frequent users, like residents, this is not much of an issue, but for out-of-state drivers, its a pain, because it forces the purchase of a minimum-value tag that will literally take years to exhaust. For frequent drivers to multiple states, the proliferation of multiple tags becomes a silly impracticality very rapidly. Seems to me some sort of interoperability is essential. Last time I checked, a minimum-value TollTag in Dallas was something like $50, which is ludicrous for me for a one-time-at-most-per-year visit. If I were an owner of an Oklahoma PikePass, it would be great for these two systems to talk to each other, and just exchange usage/toll information.

So....I had read that some states were working on interoperability of these systems. Anyone here know of any progress on these kinds of plans?

bluedogok
08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
There's also the Kansas K-Tag system, Colorado (Denver area) has a similar system as well.

Texas has three different systems, the different regional tolling authorities have control over their systems. The systems in place are the North Texas TollTag, the Houston are EZ-Pass and here in Central Texas it's the TxTag. They have finally got the systems interoperable (after many years) to the point that I need to cancel my TollTag account since I have the TxTag. I still have my Pikepass that I had when I lived in OKC and had the TollTag when I was working in Dallas before we had toll roads here in the Austin area.

It will be awhile longer before they are interoperable between states, the technology is there but the will isn't.

DelCamino
08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
All of New England is on the same system: 'EZ Pass,' an electronic pay system much like our 'PikePass,' is utilized by turnpikes in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusettes, New York, Pennsylvania. And the system goes all the way south to Virginia and west to Illinois.

It's out there - just needs to be utilized.

venture
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Here is the E-ZPass System DelCamino mentioned. Ohio gets added later this year (Ohio Turnpike Commission - EZPass FAQ (http://www.ohioturnpike.org/travelers/faq/ezpass/)). Definitely makes it nice especially for the trucking industry.

http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/images/map/overview.gif

DelCamino
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Yep -- Thanks for posting the map, Venture79. I should have, but was lazy. lol

decepticobra
08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
the main reason people use toll roads is because population migrations have changed so much since most highways were built over 50 years ago. so, todays toll roads are built for the purpose of creating a much more effective route (usually shorter distance) from point A to B. Many of such routes bypass congested areas as well.

If toll roads paralleled existing highways, no one would ever use them.

venture
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Many may bypass congested areas...but then you look at the PA and Ohio Turnpike and they go right through some pretty congested areas (Philly, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Toledo). Once you get to Indiana though there is nothing since South Bend isn't that bad, then you are welcomed to the nightmare known as Chicago.

Luke
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Ah, interoperability of pay per use fees on highways, then roads all across the nation... This makes the transition to privatization even easier.

;)

bluedogok
08-19-2009, 08:52 PM
the main reason people use toll roads is because population migrations have changed so much since most highways were built over 50 years ago. so, todays toll roads are built for the purpose of creating a much more effective route (usually shorter distance) from point A to B. Many of such routes bypass congested areas as well.

If toll roads paralleled existing highways, no one would ever use them.

Many may bypass congested areas...but then you look at the PA and Ohio Turnpike and they go right through some pretty congested areas (Philly, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Toledo). Once you get to Indiana though there is nothing since South Bend isn't that bad, then you are welcomed to the nightmare known as Chicago.
That's exactly what the Trans-Texas Corridor is supposed to be about, one leg of it parallels I-35 and bypasses the congested areas of Austin, San Antonio and DFW. The 130 Toll Road east of Austin is supposed to be part of it. They have had a much more difficult time with opposition to the I-45 parallel.

Like I said, it's not the technology it's the will of the states, mostly the western ones.