View Full Version : An "Open Letter" to Bill Simmons and ESPN

Laramie
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Respectfully Mr. Simmons:

Have had all the respect for you and many of the things you've written.

I would suggest that you let loose of your constant disrepect for Oklahoma City. It has been like this since we became an NBA City.

Whatever your premise behind the disrespect for Oklahoma City, you need to re-evaluate your efforts and let go.

No one here means you any harm; however, people are getting fed up and there is a movement on the radio station WWLS-Norman-Oklahoma City for people to go after you.

I'm not going to change the way you feel about our city; however, we've been through a domestic terrorism bombing and a killer tornado which was devistating. We Baby-sat the New Orleans Hornets and we didn't get any respect for that.

We deserve the respect of being referred to as "Oklahoma City" and not being ignored as "that other city" or the home to the former Seattle Supersonics. Do you catch my drift?

Let it go dude, it's not worth whatever cause you are parading.
You are a great writer and you shouldn't let something like this stand in your way. It's not going to get the Sonics back in Seattle--that issue is dead and it's not going to kill the NBA in Oklahoma City.

You are an intellectual person who is well respected as a writer.

Oklahoma City should be respected as well; you're not hurting Oklahoma City, you are only hurting yourself.

Anyone who would like to send Bill Simmons a civil comment, please use this link below:

ESPN.com: Page 2 : E-Mail The Sports Guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=feedback/sportsguy)

rod4soonrs
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
you were a little too nice in my opinion.

bluedogok
08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know why anyone pays attention to any of the "news" stuff on ESPN anymore. The only thing that I watch on ESPN anymore is actual sporting events, all their other shows have gone to crap and I used to be a pretty loyal watcher.

SoonerDave
08-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Guys like this are stirring the pot for the sake of stirring the pot, and it works. Look at the additional attention this guy is getting, all for indirectly trashing OKC.

I figure we're better off ignoring the guy. I mean, seriously, who really ever heard of him prior to this, and why do we care what he thinks? Even if we do care, do we really think we can change his mind? I really don't want to help the guy get any free publicity, which is precisely what is going on here.

Its a little ironic that Jim Traber has put this guy in his own gunsites, because he's always told the folks that don't like his radio show just not to listen. I figure the same logic applies to a guy who writes ESPN column I don't like - just don't read it.

TaoMaas
08-19-2009, 05:27 AM
I mean, seriously, who really ever heard of him prior to this, and why do we care what he thinks?

That's kinda what I was thinking. I watch a fair amont of ESPN and I have no idea who this guy is.

the_Mont
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
He's actually more associated with the website as he is a writer. I've been reading his columns for years. He used to be a writer for the Jimmy Kimmel Show, that's why he's located in LA and not his beloved Boston. I think Simmons is a great sports/humor/pop culture writer, however his New England bias shows terribly (not really a problem, just annoying at times).

Also, for full disclosure, I'm not so convinced it's Simmons really leading the Seattle vs. OKC rant. One of his editors is a Seattle guy, and I'm sure Simmons just got caught up in it because of him.

This past year, he routinely stated Durant is one of the most exciting players in the league, and he makes it a point to watch the Thunder. I'll admit I wish he would actually say "Oklahoma City Thunder," but he hasn't come close to the vitriol others have spewed.

theparkman81
08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
He's another MORON who can't let this thing go, I am so sick and tired of all these sportswriters who sit here and cut down our great city, I betcha he has never been to Oklahoma City or Oklahoma in general.

Laramie
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Just like you said, they (sportswriters) have probably never been to Oklahoma City or Oklahoma for that matter.

okcpulse
08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry to be frank, but sportwriters are d!cks, plain and simple. I'm far more interested in a National Geographic than to waste any of my thought process on the rags these jokers write for.

oneforone
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I can't stand any of the ESPN talking heads. If it weren't for ESPN they would be back at their old jobs selling used cars to people who can barely afford them.

SoonerDave
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I've decided its time for Seattle and everyone else to get over this whole thing.

http://thedavechronicles.blogspot.com

Melsh
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Actually, much of Bill Simmons' ranting isn't so much directed at the city of Oklahoma City, as much as it is the means in which the Sonics became the Thunder. The city of Seattle and the state of Washington clearly hold some blame, but Clay Matthews was less than truthful and accomodating during the process.

Kerry
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Sorry to be frank, but sportwriters are d!cks, plain and simple. I'm far more interested in a National Geographic than to waste any of my thought process on the rags these jokers write for.

Maybe you would be more interested in SI and ESPN The Magazine if they put topless pictures of WNBA players in the back kind of like NG does.

ultimatesooner
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Actually, much of Bill Simmons' ranting isn't so much directed at the city of Oklahoma City, as much as it is the means in which the Sonics became the Thunder. The city of Seattle and the state of Washington clearly hold some blame, but Clay Matthews was less than truthful and accomodating during the process.

who?

mugofbeer
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Clay got himself into a win/win situation. Had Seattle and the state of Washington agreed to pony up the $500 million or so to build a new arena for the Sonics, I have no doubt he would have kept the Sonics there for the simple reason that he would have made more money. He is a businessman and he is smart enough to see Seattle is a proven major league city with a far larger population. Seattle and the state both refused to build the arena so he took his team.

Sure, Mr. Bennett preferred to move the team here and its obvious that was his #1 desire, but the additional money he would have made in a new arena in Seattle would have kept the Sonics in Seattle.

Really, anyone who thought the #1 goal was to keep the Sonics in Seattle is just kidding themselves. The lead partner is from OKC as are most, if not all, of the other investors. Of course they wanted it here. But money talks. Seattle failed to commit to a post-2000 arena so they chose door #1.

bluedogok
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM

who?
Which one, the grandfather, father or the son?
Clay Matthews Sr. - former San Francisco 49'er OT/DE
Clay Matthews Jr. - former Cleveland Browns/Atlanta Falcons linebacker
Clay Matthews III - current Green Bay Packer linebacker