View Full Version : okcCoCo in Midtown

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
As one of the founders of the Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative, I wanted to touch base with everyone and see if you have even heard of the okcCoCo and if so what your impressions of it were.

So far we have done almost all of our promotion via word of mouth and social media networks that we are a part of. But that leaves a vast group of people around okc that still have not heard about the place.

So, have you heard of us?

BTW If you have any questions about what the CoCo is I would be happy to answer them for you.

Steve
08-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Elmo, your deal keeps slipping off our radar. Let's get a story done. Call me at 740-4139
-Steve

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
You know I work in your building right :P

Steve
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Elmo, to be blunt, we've had so much turn-over I can't keep track. So, no....

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Fair enough :)

I will give you a call.

metro
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I've been meaning to post a thread on this for months now and keep forgetting. You're right down the street from me. Hopefully NW 7th right there by Hudson is going to take off with some office/retail. Stella Photography is just across the street in the formerly vacant strip center there.

Anyhow, glad you posted this. Elmo, perhaps instead of waiting for someone to ask, could you please just tell us more about your Coop?

possumfritter
08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Is this the one and the same...The Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative (http://okccoco.com/?)

ElmoFromOK
08-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Is this the one and the same...The Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative (http://okccoco.com/?)

Yep. thats our website.

ElmoFromOK
08-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Anyhow, glad you posted this. Elmo, perhaps instead of waiting for someone to ask, could you please just tell us more about your Coop?

I would love to.

Working as a freelancer, or a remote employee, can be really great in the flexibility and control it gives you. Unfortunately, it also leads to solitude and a lack of interaction with your peers. Having a coworking facility helps to alleviate this. You are around other people working in the same way, so you have people to talk to when you want to or you have others to turn to when you have a question. You have the benefits of working in an office building without losing the flexibility of freelancing.

The Oklahoma City Coworking Collaborative is based on a number of coworking collections around the country. These are places where people, mainly freelancers, gather together to work in the same physical location. These locations may be a coffee shop, or a restaurant, or often simply someones home. The only real requirement was a place to sit and a wireless connection.

We decided to take this idea and add to it. Not only do we have the coworking area, but we also have permanent desks and full offices for people who need that type of space. They are nice offices that are cheaper than most office buildings can offer.

In addition to the working areas, there is a classroom area that allows us to offer classes that are taught by our members and to provide space for local user groups to meet and socialize.

We hope that with all of these various offerings, we can create a center of the OKC technology and creative communities. We want people to think of the okcCoCo as the place to hold tech related events, or to meet with their peers. We have seen a strong positive response since we opened in May.

foy0613
08-24-2009, 11:07 AM
That is a great idea. You are "now following me" on twitter but I haven't even had a chance to check it out. Many of my neighbors work from home and I was just discussing this type of need three days ago with one of them. I will pass it along...now if you had a childcare coop to run alongside, that would be dope! :)

Best of luck!

Luke
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Very creative... good idea.

ElmoFromOK
08-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Very creative... good idea.
Thanks!

ElmoFromOK
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Many of my neighbors work from home and I was just discussing this type of need three days ago with one of them.

Well, grab your neighbors and come by some evening for a tour. I would love to show you around.

Also, we are having a free coworking day on Thursday. Come by anytime during working hours and you can try the place out without having to pay for a membership.