View Full Version : Sprint Family Locator

kmf563
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Anyone have Sprint and tried this yet? I highly recommend it. Especially if you have teenagers. I just signed up for it and I love it. You can track anyone in your family anytime of the day from your phone or your computer. I added my son and my own number. I figure if my phone is stolen, I can locate it!
Never again will I hear from my son's mouth that he is somewhere when he actually is somewhere else. And I forgot my phone is not an acceptable answer. :)
Also, if something where to ever happen, God forbid, I will know exactly where he is.
They are offering a 15 day trial period for free, then the service is $5 a month.

MadMonk
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
How accurate is it? Do you know if it's based on GPS or cellphone tower location?

asta2
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I have it and it's just fun to play with. The kids use it to find their missing phones. It's pretty accurate, I think within a 30 yr radius. I can tell which part of our house we are in. I finally figured out how to have it not send a text to the kids phones when I'm locating them. I don't paticuarly want them to know. They are teenagers. I like for them to have that false sense of privacy! I tried the trial period and ended up keeping it.

kmf563
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
It tracks pretty close. Yesterday I was getting within a 10 yard radius. I can tell which room he is in too. It tracks via GPS. It does send texts, so you have to make sure to update your settings when you sign up. And have texting capabilities. Also it uses data to track so you want to make sure you have an all data plan or keep track of that so you don't get a huge bill. We have the everything family plan so the only thing I will pay extra is the $5 a month.

I was able to track him on the bus ride home yesterday. It was pretty cool. The bus was running behind and I was able to find out where he was without calling anyone.

Luke
08-19-2009, 07:15 PM
FYI, Apple's MobileMe service can locate an iPhone via GPS as well.

MadMonk
08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I was just wondering how it would compare to something like Google Latitude. Supposedly, it can find me within 3 meters with GPS and if you and friends sign up for it (its free), you can see where each of you are on the map (map or sat image). If for some reason a GPS signal can't be found, it gives you a wider circle of your possible location based on the cellphone tower(s) you are communicating with at the time (typically 500 -1500 meter radius).

kmf563
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I was just wondering how it would compare to something like Google Latitude. Supposedly, it can find me within 3 meters with GPS and if you and friends sign up for it (its free), you can see where each of you are on the map (map or sat image). If for some reason a GPS signal can't be found, it gives you a wider circle of your possible location based on the cellphone tower(s) you are communicating with at the time (typically 500 -1500 meter radius).

I tried that service and didn't like it very much. Doesn't that work through your internet connection? This works through the cell phone. You can sign on to locate via cell phone or internet though.

MadMonk
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Well it is Google, so yeah it depends your phone's Internet capabilities. :LolLolLol

I just downloaded it to my blackberry so I'm not sure exactly of all it can do, but it sounds a lot like the Sprint service you are talking about.
Here's how I found out about it.
YouTube - Google Latitude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Oq-9enE-k)