View Full Version : Colcord in Devon's Plans

Platemaker
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
From the Journal Record

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=101636)

metro
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
The JR only keeps articles free and accessible to non-subscribers for 1-3 days. Here is the article in case we want to reference it later:

Colcord in Devon’s plans
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record August 18, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Colcord Hotel is set to be an integral part in the master plan for Devon Energy Corp.’s world headquarters. And in one way, Charles Colcord’s original plans for the building will finally be finished.

The 13-story hotel, at 15 N. Robinson Ave., was constructed as an office building by Colcord in 1910, and after a $16 million renovation, it reopened as a boutique hotel in 2006. It will sit in the shadow of the 50-story Devon tower after the company’s campus is completed in 2012.Colcord originally envisioned the L-shaped hotel to have an additional wing on the west side, but he ran out of money before the plans were completed. Developer Neal Horton had his sights on adding an additional wing in the late 1970s, but that never came to fruition.

Devon does not plan to make the building U-shaped, but wants to build meeting space and a connecting link between its skyscraper and the Colcord.

On Sept. 1, 2008, the oil and gas company purchased the historic Colcord for $19.533 million.

With work set to begin on the Devon site later this year, company officials will seek approval on Thursday from the Downtown Design Review Committee to construct a three-story addition to link the hotel with the tower.

In addition to the committee approval, Devon must not change the hotel’s design, because the building is on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was placed on the register in 1976.

Devon officials also cannot have the addition resemble the older portions of the Colcord property since it is on the historical register.

Bob Blackburn, executive director of the Oklahoma Historical Society, is pleased to see Devon making the Colcord a part of its campus, as long as any additions are not masked as original elements of the building. The plan also must follow strict guidelines set forth by the U.S. secretary of the interior.

“The basic issue is to make sure people can tell the difference between the historic fabric and the contemporary fabric,” Blackburn said. “We would ask that there is a distinction in the design or scale or material.”

The Devon plan calls for the addition to attach at the far west façade to minimize the interference with the original architecture. Much of the façade of the new addition will be glassed, which the report states will be differentiated from the façade of the hotel and will not pretend to be an original component of the building.

Blackburn welcomes the addition, which will not be included as part of the hotel on the national register.

“It’s good for a building like this,” Blackburn said. “Anything that draws attention to the Colcord and helps preserve it is good for historic preservation.”

Devon officials declined to comment on the plan until after the presentation to the design committee. Specific details on costs and the timeline for the addition were not disclosed.

The project’s report, which will be given to committee members, states the three-story addition will have a pedestrian connection, two stories of hotel function rooms, a terrace and balcony, and a rooftop level for screened mechanical equipment.

Paul Coury, president of the Tulsa-based Coury Collection, was a developer and former owner of the hotel. When he first began the renovations on the building, he knew limited meeting space would be an issue, but additional square footage was not Coury’s focus.
“We were trying to work within the existing building,” said Coury, who still manages the property. “For what they’re (Devon) doing, it makes total sense.”

bombermwc
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I can't really see a downside to this. It would have been cool to complete the building, but that's not really a possiblity. I'm confused as to why they wouldn't want someone to be able to finish the building in the same style though. Why not allow someone to complete the failed attempt in the same style?

metro
08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree, that makes no sense to me, but either way, it's a plus for the Colcord and downtown OKC.

warreng88
08-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Did Devon buy the Colcord in order to close it down when they start construction or is it for the link to it from the tower?

mugofbeer
08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I seem to remember they bought it because they knew during construction of the office tower, business losses the Colcord would face could cause it to close. They decided to buy it and own it themselves. I can see if they have sufficient traveling visitors in town, the Colcord would virtually be their own private hotel. I think what Devon did with the Colcord was going above and beyond.

metro
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Did Devon buy the Colcord in order to close it down when they start construction or is it for the link to it from the tower?

This should answer your questions:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13717-devon-buying-colcord.html

BDP
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Why not allow someone to complete the failed attempt in the same style?

Because just about every attempt to do so usually fails.

Also, buildings marked as historic are not done so just to preserve the appearance of the building, but also to preserve its history. Many fear that even a successful attempt at achieving the detail of the original building (rarely achieved) would only blur what is history in such a way that diminishes the historical significance of the original structure. The theory is that you want to be able to look at it and know what exactly what is the historic structure as built and what history it communicates about its community. In this case, Oklahoma City's first "skyscraper" was not finished as planned, and historic preservation dictates that the unfinished part is as much a part of its history, and the history of the city, as what was actually finished.

It's sometimes hard to reconcile historic preservation with pragmatism or even a progressive view point, because its primary focus is the history, even if that is at the expense of today's aesthetics or development needs.

Patrick
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I can't really see a downside to this. It would have been cool to complete the building, but that's not really a possiblity. I'm confused as to why they wouldn't want someone to be able to finish the building in the same style though. Why not allow someone to complete the failed attempt in the same style?

I agree. Isn't that what we did with the state capitol?

jbrown84
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM

They bought it because with parking issues and the construction noise, it's just easier for everyone if the hotel is under their ownership. It is still managed by the Coury Collection out of Tulsa.

Platemaker
08-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I overheard some info today regarding the redo of the Colcord's west side driveway. Apparently, the current patio's redesign will be completed within 18 months.

Urbanized
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the push for a dedicated historic preservation approach as it relates to this particular building is probably due to the historic significance of the Colcord. True historic preservation calls for a clear separation between the old and the new, with no "creation of a false history." Another core tenet is that new construction should be done in such a way that it could be removed and the unaltered historic structure could be revealed once again.

A good example of this would be the old St. Nicholas Hotel on north Broadway (now home to the Schlegel Bicycles on the street level). When a fire escape/stairwell was added on the back of the building, it was done in brick of a matched color, with similar courses, but was obviously modern construction. The two structures were joined by glass panels, which in theory could be removed to reveal the historic structure completely.

Another example is the old Maywood Presbyterian Church, which is now home to the Oklahoma Department of Commerce. The historic church is surrounded by modern wings that, while keeping the style of the historic structure, are obviously modern and join the old building in a way that would in theory allow all of the new to be removed without harming the old.

A good interior example is inside of Red Prime Steakhouse. You could gut the entire restaurant and reveal the original 1911 Buick dealership. Even the carpet in the event room upstairs stops several feet short of the walls to reveal the concrete and stripes from the old dealership's historic, indoor parking spaces.

Hardcore preservation that follows ALL of the rules doesn't always make sense on every structure, but it darn sure does in the case of the city's first skyscraper, first steel-reinforced building, built on (I'm pretty sure) OKC's lot number 1, block number 1 by an '89er and arguably OKC's first leading citizen, which will now stand in the shadow of the city's largest. Another example of Devon doing things in a first-rate manner.

warreng88
08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Devon’s plans could allow hotel to reach potential
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: August 21, 2009

From the moment the Colcord Hotel opened for business, operators dreamed of making it the city’s premier host for weddings.

Initially, the setting, across from the Myriad Gardens, looked ideal to Paul Coury, who restored the 99-year-old former office building and reopened it as a 108-room boutique hotel in 2006.

See the rest of the article at:

http://newsok.com/devons-plans-could-allow-hotel-to-reach-potential/article/3394443?custom_click=lead_story_title

Lauri101
08-22-2009, 04:12 AM
I've always been challenged when trying to view things from a depth perception/spacial view, so could someone who knows please tell me - what is the orientation of the connecting addition as it relates to Robinson and Sheridan?

Specifically, we've been hearing rumors that Devon might be trying to buy 55 N. Robinson in order to have that complete corner for his plans.

Frankly - most of us who work in the building would be thrilled to relocate elsewhere, mainly because of parking problems and costs. Taxpayers who visit also complain, especially handicapped parkers.

Any knowledge, tips or even speculation? Our lease is up in 2 years and my dream is to move out of this area - my pipe dream is Midtown, but that probably won't happen!

Platemaker
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Lauri101...

I could be wrong, but as I understand it Devon offered to construct a new building for the IRS and other businesses 55 N. Robinson contains... but "they" were uninterested in negotiating.

Lauri101
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Lauri101...

I could be wrong, but as I understand it Devon offered to construct a new building for the IRS and other businesses 55 N. Robinson contains... but "they" were uninterested in negotiating.

Very interesting - and I wouldn't doubt that for a second. We're at the mercy of GSA and they don't play well with other federal agencies. I'll do some independent digging and see what I can stir up.

GSA shoved the building down our throats in 1991 - I've always suspected motive.

Thanks!