View Full Version : Where were you during historic events?

Prunepicker
08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
This was started by Generals64 on another thread. I thought it would be
good to move it here.

Here are some suggestions. Where were you?
1. The Moon landing?
2. The Fall of Saigon?
3. When John Lennon was shot?
4. When Marilyn Monroe was found dead?

If you have other events tell us about it!

Generals64
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
good to move it here.

1. The Moon landing?
2. The Fall of Saigon?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
watching the fall of Saigon, I wanted to jump into the television screen and try and help those people........that was horrible.

MadMonk
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
good to move it here.

1. The Moon landing? - probably watching it with my parents. I don't really remember
2. The Fall of Saigon? -I don't remember anything about this when it happened live. I was probably in class at my elementary school during the day and was out playing the rest the time. I guess I was shielded from much of that sort of stuff in those days.
3. When John Lennon was shot? - sleeping in bed. I remember watching the news reports the next morning.
4. When Marilyn Monroe was found dead? - I wasn't alive yet.

My answers are above in blue.

To add to your list, how about...

5. When Elvis died? - I heard about it right after school. I remember my younger sister bursting into tears about it.

6. When Reagan was shot? - I really don't remember anything in particular. I think I was at home watching TV when the news broke.

7. The Challenger explosion? - At work, watching the launch on a little B&W TV portable someone had brought in to our print shop.

MadMonk
08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
good to move it here.

1. The Moon landing? - probably watching it with my parents. I don't really remember
2. The Fall of Saigon? -I don't remember anything about this when it happened live. I was probably in class at my elementary school the time.
3. When John Lennon was shot? - sleeping in bed. I remember watching th news reports the next morning.
4. When Marilyn Monroe was found dead? - I wasn't alive yet.

My answers are above in blue.

To add to your list, how about...

5. When Elvis died? - I think I heard about it right after getting home from school or day care or something. I remember walking in the door and my younger sister bursting into tears when she heard about it. I wasn't really into Elvis so I was like "hmm...that's too bad...hey mom, what's for dinner?" :kicking:

6. When Reagan was shot? - I really don't remember anything in particular. I think I was at home watching TV when the news broke.

7. The Challenger explosion? - At work, watching the launch on a little B&W TV portable someone had brought in to our print shop.

MadMonk
08-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Wow a double-post, and it wasn't even that late. :doh:

'Lil help, Moderator?

decepticobra
08-18-2009, 06:48 AM
9/11.

I was still asleep when the actual tragedy (all four planes) had crashed, but about an hour later, I was getting ready to go to work. But leaving my house that late morning and locking the door and starting the ignition..I still had no earthly idea that anything out of the norm had even occured that morning.

At that point, it was still just a regular typical work day and I was about to embark on my normal commute route to work.

my commute was 35 minutes, and as usual, I was skipping radio stations looking for a song to listen to.

If I heard any talk radio chatter, I immediately flipped over to another station to see if any song I like was playing.

I was flipping so quickly, that any words being said were incoherent and audibly indistinct to me, as I quickly dismissed them as being nothing more than either a commericial intermission or morning talk shows.

It didnt take me long to realize I wasnt finding any music at all..FM or AM, and as my fingers gave up my search for tunes, my ears began to slowly listening in on pieces of the reports.

By the time I parked my car to walk in to clock in, I knew the full story.

papaOU
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
1968 Democratic Convention Chicago:

I was a 13 year old kid sitting at home watching convention coverage with my parents on t.v. What was going on I asked myself. Something is wrong here, both inside the convention hall and in the parks and streets. I had always been a history buff who had deep religious/spiritual convection. But this was the moment in time that I became politically and socially aware. Learned that to be informed, a person could not count on t.v. news and surely not by reading the Gaylord Rag by itself.

An event that has had the greatest impact on me and my life than any other thing I can think of........

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
On 9/11 I was farm pond fishing with my Father in law. We had no clue.

CCOKC
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I remember being at the lake when Elvis died. We pulled in to the dock to fill up with gas and that is when we heard. I was a preteen and certainly knew who Elvis was but it did not hit me as hard as it hit my aunt and uncle who was with me.
The OKC bombing I was at my lakehouse at Lake Texome and watching television while making breakfast when they broke into whatever show we were watching to say that an explosion had occured in downtown OKC. Of course, I just thought it was some kind of gas leak or something. Little did we know. Even the people of Texomaland rushed to the blood banks in order to do something to help.
When Lady Di died I was also at the same Lake House at Texoma. It's funny I really do miss the place since it flooded two years ago but I guess I found out some really bad news there.

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
When the Beatles hit I heard my Dad sing, "yeah, yeah, yeah..." while he was
shaving. He asked if I'd ever heard of the Beatles and I said no. Soon, I
became a Beatles fan. Dad couldn't stand the Beatles.

Thanks Dad!

papaOU
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I remember being at the lake when Elvis died. We pulled in to the dock to fill up with gas and that is when we heard. I was a preteen and certainly knew who Elvis was but it did not hit me as hard as it hit my aunt and uncle who was with me.
The OKC bombing I was at my lakehouse at Lake Texome and watching television while making breakfast when they broke into whatever show we were watching to say that an explosion had occured in downtown OKC. Of course, I just thought it was some kind of gas leak or something. Little did we know. Even the people of Texomaland rushed to the blood banks in order to do something to help.
When Lady Di died I was also at the same Lake House at Texoma. It's funny I really do miss the place since it flooded two years ago but I guess I found out some really bad news there.

Maybe you not being able to return to that place has prevented bad news and tragedies for the past few years.
Do me a favor. If we ever meet, never go down there even if it's just for memories sake!!

papaOU
08-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Death of Abbie Hoffman 1989, April 12 my birthday.
Was not reported until the next day...at home listening to the radio..put a damper on everything.......

MsDarkstar
08-19-2009, 02:57 PM
OKC bombing 4/19/95 - Was a junior @ Moore HS, walking from 1st period to 2nd which involved walking across campus to a different bldg. Remember hearing a distant sounding boom but didn't think anything of it; shortly after getting settled into class the principal Mr. Burr got on the intercom and announced that there had been an explosion at the Federal COURTHOUSE downtown & any students with immediate family working in the downtown area were to report to the lecture center for further news. It wasn't until we all assembled in the lecture center that he corrected himself & said it was the Murrah Bldg. We didn't get any work done the rest of the day. The halls were unnaturally quiet & multiple classes would pile into classrooms that had televisions so we could watch the news. After a while they just sent us home early because no one was getting anything done & we weren't moving from class to class. That night was the first time I saw a news anchor lose their composure on air & cry.

Challenger 1/28/86 - was 7yrs old, didn't fully understand what was going on except that it was really sad.

Columbia shuttle disaster 2/1/03 - a friend heard about it on the car radio & dropped by the house to catch it on the news; spent the whole morning watching reports on it & discussing the Challenger.

9/11 - On my way to work listening to KJ-103; morning crew didn't realize it was as serious as it was so they were making jokes about it. Spent the morning listening to real news reports on the radio while trying to focus on work.

Here are some other suggestions: Waco/Branch Davidian, Columbine, JFK & MLK's assassinations.

Generals64
08-19-2009, 03:13 PM
OKC bombing 4/19/95 - Was a junior @ Moore HS, walking from 1st period to 2nd which involved walking across campus to a different bldg. Remember hearing a distant sounding boom but didn't think anything of it; shortly after getting settled into class the principal Mr. Burr got on the intercom and announced that there had been an explosion at the Federal COURTHOUSE downtown & any students with immediate family working in the downtown area were to report to the lecture center for further news. It wasn't until we all assembled in the lecture center that he corrected himself & said it was the Murrah Bldg. We didn't get any work done the rest of the day. The halls were unnaturally quiet & multiple classes would pile into classrooms that had televisions so we could watch the news. After a while they just sent us home early because no one was getting anything done & we weren't moving from class to class. That night was the first time I saw a news anchor lose their composure on air & cry.

Challenger 1/28/86 - was 7yrs old, didn't fully understand what was going on except that it was really sad.

Columbia shuttle disaster 2/1/03 - a friend heard about it on the car radio & dropped by the house to catch it on the news; spent the whole morning watching reports on it & discussing the Challenger.

9/11 - On my way to work listening to KJ-103; morning crew didn't realize it was as serious as it was so they were making jokes about it. Spent the morning listening to real news reports on the radio while trying to focus on work.

Here are some other suggestions: Waco/Branch Davidian, Columbine, JFK & MLK's assassinations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
remember all of those very well.....have a Federal Marshall for a friend...he was at the Waco fiasco, said it was not like you saw on T.V.....Columbine still makes me worry. My wife is a teacher and there are too many strange Gangs floating around OKC....Mlk's Assassination was wrong...enough said about that.

I was at New Orleans 9 days after Katrina Hit...Have too many stories to start writing. I was in the middle of Hurricane Rita....It hit before we realize...won't do that again...

CCOKC
08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I happened to live in Waco in the early 90's. My husband's boss bought a business in the Baltimore/Washington area and we lived up there for four months while they transitioned the business back to Waco. That is the time when the Branch Davidian fiasco happened. I remember a friend calling me and asking if my house was close to the compound (it wasn't). My husband flew back to Waco often and the pilot would go out of his way to fly them over the scene especially if it was a night flight and they could see the compound very clearly for all of the lights from the feds surrounding it. I had never heard of the compound and my friends who did said that David Koresh came to town to get supplies about once a week and they could never understand why he was not taken away from the compound. One of my very best friends worked as a CASA volunteer and talked to some of the children that came out of the compound. She told me horrific stories of how the children were treated and how little they knew of the outside world. It was heartbreaking.

OkieInTexas
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
OKC Bombing - I was living in Ft. Collins, CO, working in my office and called the home office in OKC (89th & I-35). The guy I was on the phone with told me there had just been some kind of explosion near downtown, but didn't know what had happened yet. Said it rattled the windows at the office. I immediately turned on the TV and sat glued to the tube the rest of the day. I knew one of the ladies that worked in the credit union.
Columbia Shuttle Disaster - I was living in Tulsa, went out that morning to work in the back yard. My wife came to the down and told me the space shuttle had just exploded. I went inside and just got sick at my stomach as I watched the news reports about the shuttle explosion.
9/11 - I was in Ft. Smith, AR at the Ramada Inn on business. I had just gone to the front office to send a fax. Upon returning to my room, I decided I would turn on the TV as I got ready to leave. I was watching Brian Gumble report on the first plane hitting the tower, when the second plane hit the second tower. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The rest of the day, every place I went was just in shock. I remember driving up to Springdale, AR on more business and had to set in line for about 45 minutes to get gas.

SoonerDave
08-21-2009, 10:02 PM
good to move it here.

1. The Moon landing?
2. The Fall of Saigon?

Moon Landing - I barely remember it, but I do remember watching it on our black-and-white TV in our living room in S. OKC....

John Lennon - watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced it.

Don't remember the fall of Saigon, and I wasn't around (yet) when Monroe died.

Others:

Challenger explosion - The only broadcast shuttle launch I ever missed - I had forgotten about it, and was watching Price is Right when KWTV's Mitch Jelniker broke in with the story.

Murrah bombing - On one of the very rare business trips I've ever had to take, at Pax River Naval Air Station in Maryland. We were taking a special programming class, and a lady next to me said, "Hey, you're from Oklahoma, aren't you? I think a mailbox blew up down there today..." Not ten minutes later, we were all crowded in the manager's office, watching Channel 9's live feed carried through CNN, and it was THE most surreal experience I've ever gone through - next to the gray, rainy weather that draped Oklahoma City on my return

9/11 - At work, listening to my radio with Jack Bowen interviewing Kirk Humphreys on KTOK, when he interrupted with "someone as flown a plane into the World Trade Center..."

Generals64
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
These memories are some that should be read and reread as we start seeing and hearing things such as the plane wreck n Austin into the IRS building. The assasination in Dubai and then we remember the Armour Packing plant in OKC blowing up in the late 50's then of Course there was Elvis, John Lennon, 9/11.OKC bombing,The Shuttles exploding.....don't forget about the Shuttle that blew up over East Texas......these are memories we have all shared and then these are terrible times that we all need to pull together.....Have you any other memories of the past?????

papaOU
02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
These memories are some that should be read and reread as we start seeing and hearing things such as the plane wreck n Austin into the IRS building. The assasination in Dubai and then we remember the Armour Packing plant in OKC blowing up in the late 50's then of Course there was Elvis, John Lennon, 9/11.OKC bombing,The Shuttles exploding.....don't forget about the Shuttle that blew up over East Texas......these are memories we have all shared and then these are terrible times that we all need to pull together.....Have you any other memories of the past?????

I can remember being born......

skyrick
02-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Space Shuttle Columbia disaster 2/1/03. Saturday morning. I am a space geek. With the advent of cable and satellite TV I have been lucky enough to watch most launches, dockings and landings. Columbia was scheduled to fly right over the DFW area en-route to Kennedy in Florida. I was watching the live feed from the control room in Houston on NASA-TV, waiting for the track on the big screen to show Columbia's approach to the Metro area. I have seen one night approach and it was spectacular; this would have been my first daylight sighting. As I got up to go out front to start looking for the entry contrail I heard what I thought was something really heavy falling in the garage. Thinking my wife may have been hurt while poking around I called her name, but she answered from the bedroom. I looked in the garage and everything seemed to be in place, so I went out to the front yard. I saw a strange contrail in the sky, with several streaks of what I took to be condensation and thought, "Damn it! I missed it!" I went back inside to watch the landing on NASA TV, but the view was still on the Houston control room, and the track was still in the same place, just east of Fort Worth, as when I got up to go outside. I noticed that everyone in the control room was standing there just staring at the track board and it slowly dawned on me what had happened. I'm pretty sure the wall rattling boom I thought was from the garage was from the explosion over Texas. I was sickened for days.

All the other events I was either at school, at work, watching on TV (moon landing only), or asleep.

grantgeneral78
02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
:kicking:I was not even born yet!

mugofbeer
02-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I watched the moon landing with my parents, my brother and my elderly grandfather who lived with us at the time. When Neil Armstrong was like on the 2nd to bottom step of the moon lander, my grandfather got up and announced he was going to bed! My dad, of course, made him stay but we still joke about that.

Prunepicker
02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
These memories are some that should be read and reread as we start seeing
and hearing things such as the plane wreck n Austin into the IRS building...
No kidding. We're experiencing many things that appear to be new, but
according to God's Word, there is nothing new under the sun.

At any rate, there's too much bad going on in this world. Don't get me
started on, "that religion of peace" aka, islam. ACK!

Prunepicker
02-19-2010, 09:33 PM
I was about 4 or 5 blocks from the Murrah bombing. I thought that someone's
car was blown up. It was a tough neighborhood. At the time I was
volunteering at Skyline Ministries at N.W. 7th and N. Lee.

What a mess.

gen70
02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I was in Florida at the time of the Murray bombing. I was in rehab.for the 2nd time when the Challenger happened. I was indirectly involved in the shutdown of the largest radar tracking facility in the world when the shuttle came apart over Texas. I was in the 6th grade when JFK was killed, and watched Jack Ruby kill Oswald on TV with my dad. I lived on N. side OKC when John Lennon was killed. I lived on N. side OKC.. when John Belushi overdosed. I saw JFK in the southside parade in 196? on my fathers shoulders. I saw Jimi Hendrix in 69. I met many celebs. in my life. I saw many things on the southside of OKC and across the USA and beyond ..good and bad. I feel like Forrest Gump in a way. I have seen some stuff but, I must say that I am a southside OKC boy to this day. No matter where I go or what I do, when people ask me where I'am from I say OKC southside. I am "proud" good or bad of that fact. There are other things that slip my mind right now but, ya know what I mean! [rant over] Peace.. PS.. I haven't been in OKC for 26 years, other than a funeral.

Generals64
05-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know how historic it is but, I was sure trying to find a hole for these last couple of Tornadoes......They started forming over Moore and then went "Goofy" and started tearing up everything that got in their way....

oneforone
05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
That two week stretch of April-May 1999 was a chaotic week for me.

I was in the Bahamas on military assignment when on Tuesday April 28th I found out my Grandpa had passed. I was only given a few days go home for the funeral.

I was dating a girl in Louisiana and my truck was at her house just a couple hours North of New Orleans. She made the drive from Louisiana to Oklahoma City with me because I did not have enough money for airfare to OKC and I was on little sleep. We got to Oklahoma City Thursday night attended my grandpa's funeral and head back to Louisiana Sunday Morning.

Long story short, we went to a Movie Monday night because I had to leave Tuesday morning. We just got in from the movie and turned on the TV. I walked in the room and said "Why are Kelly Ogle and Jennifer Reynolds on television here?" We turned the volume up and that is when I discovered the Tornado had it.

I called my parents and they were freaked out because it almost came their way. They said debris was hitting the roof of the house when they ran and hid in the bathroom. Fortunately for their sake the tornado turned at 119th street and headed towards Midwest City.

Needless to say I was little shaken, we buried Grandpa on Friday and I came close to losing my parents on Monday.

Generals64
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey Prunepicker:....Does the Pauls Valley Noodling Roundup count as an historic event????if so the Lady General and I were there....Miss you and you lady...Figured for Sure papaOU would be there and then I looked for Frisky to be one of the contestants.....Then I started bragging about knowing one of the Noodling Queen Candidates (Soonergirl26) and then she didn't show.....Oh well, she still has all her teeth....but I know she would have won....

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Prunepicker... Does the Pauls Valley Noodling Roundup count as
an historic event? If so the Lady General and I were there... Miss
you and your lady... Figured for Sure papaOU would be there and
then I looked for Frisky to be one of the contestants... Then I started
bragging about knowing one of the Noodling Queen Candidates
(Soonergirl26) and then she didn't show... Oh well, she still has all
her teeth... but I know she would have won...
It definitely counts as a hysterical event. Did everybody finish with
all their body parts? Sometimes they noodle a snappin' turtle.

I was talking to a ranger who's job was to trap and tag turtles in the
Red River. He was scuba diving in a tunnel he'd found. It was about
3 or 4 feet in diameter. He got about 30 feet and turned around. as
soon as he got moving he came face to face with a huge snapper,
30+ inches in diameter, that had followed him. He was blocked so
he put his hands on both sides of the shell and forced him out.

His buddy helped him get it in the boat. It was very unhappy and
chased them around it. They came to their senses when it did
serious damage to an oar. They got it out of the boat. He didn't
say whether or not he tagged that turtle.

Jim Kyle
07-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Small correction on the Armour Packing Plant date. It was December of 1961. We were living in California at the time and had come back to OKC to visit family at Christmas time. I heard about it on radio (wife's grandparents didn't have TV) and remember the description of ambulances running in convoy to St. Anthony and Mercy (which was still at NW 12 and Walker). A few days after it happened I drove over to the site to see the gutted building. The support framework for a huge ammonia tank on the roof had collapsed, dropping the tank a couple of feet. It punched through the roof and then drove straight through the heart of the building, falling nine stories and ripping out the whole east wall as it did so. The casualty rate was amazingly low, for the amount of damage. As I recall it happened on a weekend when only a skeleton crew was in the building...

It was, as it turned out, almost a dress rehearsal for April 1995, when once again ambulances and fire equipment were running in convoy from as far away as Guthrie and Shawnee. I was listening to them on a police scanner from my office that morning...