View Full Version : Oklahoma's best kept secret movie theatre?

JAQ
08-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Any votes for the nicest (non-Mega) movie theatre in Oklahoma?

pritchbrian
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
No doubt. Liberty Theatre in Carnegie. 3 screens. $3 to see the movie. My wife and I can go see the movie, both have 2 hotdogs, 2 large drinks and a large popcorn for under $20.

kevinpate
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
did not know Carnegie had a three screen theater, or even a theater of any size.
Not a hard drive either.

Thanks for the tip!

lasomeday
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Beacon Drive In Movie Theater in Guthrie

Tickets: $4 adult, children (under 11) free

USG '60
08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
No doubt. Liberty Theatre in Carnegie. 3 screens. $3 to see the movie. My wife and I can go see the movie, both have 2 hotdogs, 2 large drinks and a large popcorn for under $20.

Thanks for the compliment. My brother, a couple of friends and I did the Liberty Theatre for the good Mr. Applewhite. Jerry goes to great lengths to make sure it is by FAR the best experience for the least money. It is his life's work. If you go be sure to go to the restrooms in the old section. I built those about 25 years ago and they are still perfect because maintenence is perfect. Jerry has been begging me to get back and do needed repairs to the snack bar but I just haven't psyched myself up to doing a load of formica repair. Despite that little issue, it is a state treasure, indeed. :tiphat: G'day

JAQ
08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I will definitely visit the Liberty Theatre!

Thank You

kimberle
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
In Oklahoma I really love the Poncan Theatre. They have a lot of Theatre performances, but they also play some movies. During in the summer they usually do some kind of classic movie series free to the public.

McSwain Theatre in Ada has been newly remolded and I think that will be reallly nice.

As far as OKC goes, The Lyric Theatre. However if your looking for a cheap seat to watch a new release in Tinsel Town is $5.50 for Adults ($3.50 matinee). I just saw District 9 there this weekend.

USG '60
08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I will definitely visit the Liberty Theatre!

Thank YouYou can find their schedule here.Liberty Theatre - Carnegie, Oklahoma. The oldest continually operated movie theatre in Oklahoma! (http://www.libertytheatres.com/) Tell Jerry Hi for me. :smile:

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the link. That place is really nice and I had never even heard of it.

Are they showing first run movies for $3.50? I thought the prices were dictated by the studios. Pretty cool.

USG '60
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the link. That place is really nice and I had never even heard of it.

Are they showing first run movies for $3.50? I thought the prices were dictated by the studios. Pretty cool.Their movies start the same day as the ones here. He makes a WHOLE lot less per attendee than other movies. Many, many people drive 50 to 75 miles to go there even with theaters in their own towns. He is about to switch to all digital and it will cost a LOT, but I will be surprised if he raises the price even then. BTW last winter Discover Oklahoma did a segment on it.

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Sounds really cool. I am going to have to check it out. Thanks!

Urbanized
08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
The Wa****a in Cordell is fantastic, was fully restored around 1999 or so, and I believe still has first-run movies. Also, the Coleman theater in Miami is probably the most ornate, active historic theater building in the state. I think they still have first run movies, but also have lots of other events. The Poncan in Ponca City is also incredible, ornate and restored, but I don't think you can go to a first-run movie there. Definitely interested in checking out the theater in Carnegie now.

kevinpate
08-19-2009, 02:46 AM
It's been years since my last visit, but a decade and a half ago the theater in Guymon was rather grand, far more so than I had anticipated it would be.

decepticobra
08-19-2009, 04:41 AM
Mr. Applewhite should show all new movies like they are old movies, as to help bring that nostalgic feel to them.

Remove all audio, show them in black & white, and after every action scene it will pause and flash a screen with nothing but printed dialogue on it.

Having a dancing hair on the screen would also be nice, as well as a few small circular spots occasionally on the film, and of course the classic countdown screen before the title screen: "...3,..2,..1,..whhuurrrrrrttppttttt"

USG '60
08-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Mr. Applewhite should show all new movies like they are old movies, as to help bring that nostalgic feel to them.

Remove all audio, show them in black & white, and after every action scene it will pause and flash a screen with nothing but printed dialogue on it.

Having a dancing hair on the screen would also be nice, as well as a few small circular spots occasionally on the film, and of course the classic countdown screen before the title screen: "...3,..2,..1,..whhuurrrrrrttppttttt"

I tried to talk him into it, but he just wouldn't bite. I don't get it ..... SOME people?!?!

JAQ
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Well I went to the Liberty Theatre in Carnegie and it was just what I was looking for! If you haven't been there I HIGHLY recommend it. A very nice looking, clean theatre with friendly employees. I was like travelling back in time.

Thank You for all who suggested it.

JAQ

USG '60
09-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Well, did you tell them hello from us? :tiphat:

JAQ
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I did say hello to the employees at the concession stand, but the owner seemed busy. I will definitely return again.

Urban Pioneer
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I would like to suggest the OKC Musuem of Art theatre. I am constantly amazed by the number of people that have not been there. They do a great many "indies", but Brian Hearne does a great job currating the old stuff. He and his theatre are an asset to our community.

USG '60
09-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I would like to suggest the OKC Musuem of Art theatre. I am constantly amazed by the number of people that have not been there. They do a great many "indies", but Brian Hearne does a great job currating the old stuff. He and his theatre are an asset to our community.

Another excellent find, indeed.

jbrown84
09-04-2009, 07:58 PM
They do a great many "indies", but Brian Hearne does a great job currating the old stuff. He and his theatre are an asset to our community.

Well said. He does a superb job with the film program.

kevinpate
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I was thinking about going over to Carnegie tonight, at least until I was reminded a wee bit earlier about tonight's game.

I really do need to pay more attention.

USG '60
09-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I was thinking about going over to Carnegie tonight, at least until I was reminded a wee bit earlier about tonight's game.

I really do need to pay more attention.

That is the only excuse that the Liberty Theatre accepts for non-attendance. :Smiley036

Urban Pioneer
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Well said. He does a superb job with the film program.

I would say that I found devotion to that theater when they started showing Hitchcock classics such as Vertigo. Those films are meant for the screen and not the television.

Brian was also kind enough to have our company (Bezdek + Associates) sponsor a silent movie night. We brought in a three manual (three keyboard) digital organ. A Jazz organist (without music) played to the comedy, The General (a Buster Keaton film comedy).

It took two weeks of organ installation and three days of voicing to make it sound as if there was a real pipe organ in the room; just like the old silent days. I nearly killed our voicing organist dropping of a cable one of the 12 massive stereophonic speakers the project required. Glad we had liability insurance. We finished it and the event was standing room only. It was such a pain, we didn't do it again. lol