View Full Version : Sonicsgate (Movie)

jstanthrnme
08-16-2009, 03:54 PM
sonicsgate.org (http://www.sonicsgate.org)

I'm interested in seeing this. Opens online on Oct. 12th.

I tried to embed the Youtube trailer, but am having trouble. You can see it by following the link above.

decepticobra
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
sonicsgate.org (http://www.sonicsgate.org)

I'm interested in seeing this. Opens online on Oct. 12th.

I tried to embed the Youtube trailer, but am having trouble. You can see it by following the link above.

What happens in Sonicsgate? Does it start with someone slowly pulling up in a car, then 5 minutes later a carhop on rollerskates brings them their food? Maybe theres a cameo with Frankie Avalon?

:fighting4

metro
08-17-2009, 09:10 AM
They need to get over themselves already, oh well, OKC will continue to benefit the rewards for years to come for cities like this who are facing ego challenges right now.

soonervegas
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Good preview. If 90% of the film doesn't focus on the fact that people from the City of Seattle (Owners, Politicians, Fans) are to blame, then they are just fooling themselves.

Seattle is a great town........my gut is there will be a Sonics in Seattle by 2020, but they are STILL going to need that new arena.

kevinpate
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Not seen the trailer, won't see the film. I could be proven wrong, but I just don't expect something called sonicsGATE to focus on anyone other than the evil empire of rowdy okies who allegedly flimflammed, manipulated and tricked an entire community, including its self professed elite power brokers and politicos, into rolling over and playin' dead with a few fancy words, a couple of aw shucks grins and a bushel full of down home prairie boy charm.

finster
08-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm sure that this move was portrayed very differently in the Oklahoma media than it was in Seattle but at least give this movie a chance. I have no connection with it and don't really think that Clay Bennett is really to blame. He took advantage of a situation. For the most part I believe he played by the rules and got away with taking a team away from it's original city. I don't think it has anything to do with him or the other owners being from OKC, more to do with the situation the team faced.

The key arena had just been redone with tax payer money less than 10 years earlier and there were two controversial team facilities built before the sonics came asking for money. The people in Seattle didn't feel so much betrayed by Bennett as they did by Schultz and the polticians. They did feel like he took advantage of a situation and I agree with the majority of people that he did. David Stern is a good friend of his and wanted to move into that market and show any city who might dare vote down a stadium package. There were a lot of ways that Bennett made the situation go from bad to worse but I don't believe that people in Seattle are that angry at him.

Watch the trailer and listen to the people talking and most of them complain about Seattleites not the "evil empire of rowdy okies" that you seem to think we all hate. I do not like Clay Bennett for taking advantage and being a bit dishonest but the other option on the table was a move to San Jose which doesn't really matter to Sonics fans who wanted their team to stay put. Schultz made a PR move by making a loose agreement with Bennett that he would have to try and keep the team in Seattle. Alright enough of that. I just wanted to let you know that Seattle people for the most part don't blame Clay Bennett or OKC......at least not completely :P

Oh and thanks for not making this personal and rising above it all

"self professed elite power brokers and politicos"

"for cities like this who are facing ego challenges right now"

I suppose I should call you all hicks and tell you to go back to bed with your cousins....ok so I'm obviously being sarcastic but you shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

jstanthrnme
10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
I watched this online a few days ago. Its suprisingly unbiased against OKC. The twangy music it plays during Clay Bennett's mini-bio plays up the percieved image of Oklahoma negatively, but he is portrayed as he is, a businessman who took advantage of an oppurtunity, not the villian. The blame is ultimately spread among the City of Seattle, the Washington State Legislature, and Howard Shultz. It's really pretty fair in the way it presents the story. I wouldn't go out of your way to watch it, but its a pretty good way to kill two hours of boredom. It's not really exciting because we all know how it ends, yet it shows another side to the story that we haven't really seen. For that, it's worth watching.

Here is the link, if you want to check it out:

Sonicsgate SD Full Version on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/7030942)

dismayed
10-17-2009, 08:20 PM
It's an okay video. It pretty much lays it out... the problem started in 2001 with a poorly-performing team, low revenues, a bad owner who knew more about coffee than sports, and very low support from the public and the government. Over the next five years the NBA continually said that it needed a larger home for the Sonics so that they could sell more tickets, add restaurants to the arena that could generate more sales, and so forth. Finally the original ownership sold to the OKC group in 2006 because they couldn't handle it anymore. If it wasn't OKC it would have been San Jose or someone else. They gave the final ultamatum for a new stadium to stay, and along with who the new owners of the team were it had to be clear to folks in Seattle that this was the last chance. Then they go and vote for Prop. 91 by over 70% (basically saying no to any public investment in private sports without clear rates of return and what not) and then the state legislature straight-up says no they won't even consider funding a new arena. The Save Our Sonics guys can whine all they want about OKC but I think their misgivings are clearly misplaced.

I mean the logic is pretty clear... team sucks -> needs more money so asks for more seats -> Seattle says no -> team sells out to owners from another state -> out of state owners who clearly want to move the team give an ultimatum -> ultimatum rejected. What outcome was expected?

dai
10-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm actually surprised that many people are hating on this movie before they even give it a chance. It is really biased at all and gives a nice history lesson of our team.