View Full Version : Beer!!

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I like beer! I like the hand crafted beers that are bottle fermented and still have the yeast residue in the bottom of the bottle. MMMMMM!

I got a variety 6-pack of Choc, an Oklahoma brewer and am enjoying some of them better than others, but overall, a really neat brewer with good products.

So, who like beer?

And whadda ya like?

PennyQuilts
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
I like beer - not as much as my husband does (I tend to drink wine) but when the mood hits, I enjoy a brewski.

Actually, we are in the middle of brewing a batch. Nothing fancy. It is fermenting as I type. Probably be good to go in about three weeks. We'll trade it out to another fermenter next weekend.

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I like beer - not as much as my husband does (I tend to drink wine) but when the mood hits, I enjoy a brewski.

Actually, we are in the middle of brewing a batch. Nothing fancy. It is fermenting as I type. Probably be good to go in about three weeks. We'll trade it out to another fermenter next weekend.

Excellent! I brewed for a while when we were first married (18 years ago) but my wife didn't like me taking over her kitchen and stainless steel pots....I stopped to keep the peace, but I might have to give it a go again some day.

So what are you guys brewing? I love beer crafting!

Do you make wine too? I'm not into wine, but I do enjoy a rare glass. I had a co-worker who made both beer and wine and it was excellent! There's just something special when love is added to the recipie that makes it taste so much better than store bought stuff.

PennyQuilts
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Just a generic ale. Husband is the family cook and if he wants to clang around pots and pans, I'm up for it. Keeping things pristine with dogs who insist on helping and want to stick their noses in the fermenter is the biggest trick. I like to stir in the malt - love the smell but the hops are a little strong for me when they first go in. He uses extract rather than all grain so it isn't as involved as it could be. When we get back home to OKC, hopefully in the next six months, we'll fix up one of the rooms in the barn for a brewery.

Never made wine but maybe someday. I love red but it gives me a headache so I usually stick with white. Love California wine.

decepticobra
08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
a good, underrated hard-to-find and typically classified as "generic" beer is crazy horse.

molson also isnt known much in these parts as mexican brews are given more attention. molson ice and molson canadian are definitely worth a try.

i like beers with more of a crisper taste to them than the frothy lagers of most german brews.

Easy180
08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm a fan of most wheats but I guess my favorites are Newcastle, Moose Drool, most of Sam Adams seasonals and New Belgium's 2 Below

MadMonk
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the wheat beers too. Boulevard Wheat it a favorite. I generally prefer the more malty beers rather than the hoppy ones, but I like to try any new beer I can find. That's why I like the Cellar liquor stores. They sell them in singles and I can pick and choose the ones I want to try before committing to a full sixer. :wink:

bluedogok
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I like beer and have considered trying homebrewing but I really don't drink enough if it to go through it, I guess that I would have to give some away if I ever did.

My favorite is amber beers, Shiner Bock is my "basic" beer, it was even when I was still in OKC before moving to Austin. I also like Newcastle, Fat Tire and Sam Adams but like to try other microbrews or locals if I am somewhere else. I am not a big fan of dark beers but I do like the Japanese darks which aren't as heavy as the Irish or German dark beers. I do have some Asahi Black and Shiner Smokehouse in the fridge at the moment.

jstanthrnme
08-16-2009, 02:11 PM
to the wheat beer connoisseurs, try Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat. My favorite wheat beer.

I like pretty much everything New Belgium brews.

I've heard Moose Drool is good. It's just too expensive for me to really bite on, so I'll pass for now.

The worst beer in my opinion, Corona. I'm at a loss as to why its so popular. There are way better mexican imports like Modelo, and Bohemia that are similarly priced, and much better tasting.

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I like beer and have considered trying homebrewing but I really don't drink enough if it to go through it, I guess that I would have to give some away if I ever did.

A great gift idea! What better present to a friend than your own home brew, especially if your friend is a beer conny-sewer! You could save a bundle on Christmas presents!

bluedogok
08-16-2009, 03:19 PM
The worst beer in my opinion, Corona. I'm at a loss as to why its so popular. There are way better mexican imports like Modelo, and Bohemia that are similarly priced, and much better tasting.Because it's the most marketed Mexican beer, it's the Budweiser of Mexican beers. Most people in the US (and some parts of Mexico) wouldn't know that Cinco de Mayo is a minor holiday in Mexico, they marketed it into the Mexican St. Patrick's Day.

I prefer Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber but for a lager I prefer Tecate or Bohemia over Modelo and for a very light Mexican beer I always preferred Chihuahua. I won't even consider drinking a Corona, I will have a Coors or Bud product instead.

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Because it's the most marketed Mexican beer, it's the Budweiser of Mexican beers. Most people in the US (and some parts of Mexico) wouldn't know that Cinco de Mayo is a minor holiday in Mexico, they marketed it into the Mexican St. Patrick's Day.

I prefer Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber but for a lager I prefer Tecate or Bohemia over Modelo and for a very light Mexican beer I always preferred Chihuahua. I won't even consider drinking a Corona, I will have a Coors or Bud product instead.

Exactly! Like Fosters, allegedly from Australia, but what is available here is brewed in Canada. Ozzies won't drink Fosters that I have seen, and when I was in OZ, never even saw it advertised. My Ozzie mate said it was kangaroo piss exported to the Americam market, LOL!

But some of the best beers I have ever enjoyed were the authentic Aussie beers like West End, Coopers, Victoria Bitter and Tooheys, just to name 4. They tend to be regional loyal, so South Aussies drink SA beer and Sidney-siders tend to drink New South Wales products and so on. Damned good beers though, even the "everyday" Aussie beers are excellent.

bluedogok
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I used to drink Foster's when it was still imported and not "Made under License" like many of the imports now. After coming back from Tokyo I went and bought some Asahi Dry at the liquor store at NW 122nd & MacArthur, got it chilled, opened one up and it tasted like Molson, sure enough, it was made by Molson. Most of the Japanese beers in the US are made this way, Sapporo Lager was the only one that wasn't until a few years ago and now it is. The only true Japanese beers available in the US now are the specialty or dark beers.

There was one Australian beer that I liked many years ago but I guess it is not available in the US anymore and may not even be made at all, it was named something like Shark's Edge, had a dark blue label with a silver shark on it. I got it at the liquor store at NW 122nd & Penn but haven't seen it in 10 years or so.

IanMcDermid
08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Mmm I LOVE beer discussions! I agree with everything I've read here. You guys all need to come in to drunken fry and we'll talk beer. I'm Ian the proprietor (look for the big guy wearing a bandana). I've got 65 varieties in the bottle, around 10 wheats, 20 lagers, 7 ambers, 17 ales, list goes on. I've also got 8 taps 4 of which are COOP oklahoma city brewed beers. All great!

Ooo and I've got duvel coming this week, one of the greatest beers on the planet just arrived in OKC.

Ian

Edmond Earl
08-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Cellars liquor store at May and Britton offers most all there beers as a single. Its a great way to try different beers without the expense of a six pack.

fromdust
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
im new to the beer scene, and a couple of weeks ago for the very first time i tried bud, coors, and miller. they all taste the same to me and suck. so far i like terrible, got that in texas and cant get it here. DNR is pretty awesome. and for the life of me i cant remember the name of this amazing beer. i got it at mcnellies, and there is a phoenix on it and its fire brewed in the depths of mt. doom or something like that. anyway its great. i think it starts with an "o". anyone know what it is?

trousers
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Ooo and I've got duvel coming this week, one of the greatest beers on the planet just arrived in OKC.

Ian

OK you got me now, I love me some Duvel.

Fastfwd
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I love beer…. I’m mostly an ale guy, but I do dig those malty Oktoberfests - Paulaner is probably my favorite. They’ve been hard to come by in OK in the last few years. McNellies had a keg of it last year though. I guess I’ve liked most of the bocks, dopplebocks, and maibocks that I’ve tried too. I suppose I just don’t care for the bland straight lagers all that much.

I love to see the seasonals come around…..fall/winter being my favorite. Those spicy winter warmers are usually a big hit with me when they come around.

You can just about go down the list of ales and I probably like it…… all depending on mood and maybe what I haven’t had in a while. I blow entirely too much money on craft beer. I’ve been trying to lay off it, but I do still like to pick up a couple of sixers on the weekend and I seem to find myself at McNellies every couple of weeks or so.

Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is about my favorite….. $6 a pint at McNellies. LOL I don’t know that you would want to sit and drink a bunch of them one right after another, but if I’m just having one – that hits the spot.

blangtang
08-20-2009, 11:44 PM
I turned 18 or 19, whatever the legal age in Manitoba, and we went to the local bar. I ordered a Labatt's and all the locals gave me ****. But they were all drinking Budweiser, so i gave them ****. So it goes...

These days I like the pale ales, I'll drink two or three Sierra Nevada IPA's, then switch to cheap swill, like Milwaukees Best or Natty Lite. After a few tasty brews, they all start tasting the same.

Sierra Nevada had a super IPA called Torpedo, but it disappeared. Guess they ran out cuz it was soo goooood!

PennyQuilts
08-21-2009, 05:26 AM
With Octoberfest coming up, we always enjoy going to our local German restaurant. They go to Germany over the Labor Day weekend - close down the place - and go to some locale that sells Octoberfest beer to be brought back over to the states. They get some FABULOUS stuff, every year.

IanMcDermid
08-21-2009, 03:18 PM
blangtang, they did run out of torpedo but hopefully it will be back I look every time I order. However I DO have their ESB which is pretty darn outstanding.

Oktoberfest starts in a couple weeks I will be moving all my belgians to the second shelf and ordering every oktoberfest available to me in the bottle and at LEAST one oktoberfest draft.

Youngs double chocolate available soon at drunkenfry in pub draft can, I bought a few last week and the feedback was amazing.

Vines_&_Cattle
08-22-2009, 02:57 PM
We just bottled a batch of porter last night. Darker the better!

RedDirt717
08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
The best pint I've ever had was an organic beer from the UK called Samuel Smith's. It was an Ale and it had the best natural flavor of beer I've ever drank.

Favorite watered down domestic: Coors.

Overall favorite beer: Newcastle

Best beer I've found in OKC: Left Hand Milk Stout - Tapwerks

Best Oklahoma brewed beer: Kings Octoberfest - Royal Bavaria, Choc would win out on taste but it gives me really bad gas.

Best mass produced lager: Yuengling - Only brewed in the Northeast, America's oldest brewery.

Best beer I've brewed: I brewed an english bitter with both ale and lager characteristics when I was in Atlanta.

Favorite beer to pound in DC: Mickeys

Favorite Mexican beer: Stay thirsty my friends

Notables: Coach's amber, Coach's Wheat, Bricktown brewery IPA.

:Smiley051

blangtang
08-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Best Oklahoma brewed beer: Kings Octoberfest - Royal Bavaria, Choc would win out on taste but it gives me really bad gas.

Best mass produced lager: Yuengling - Only brewed in the Northeast, America's oldest brewery.

I like the Kings, if its the one that has an almost buttery aftertaste. I could be wrong on that, but i dig it.

I visited my brother in DC and we drank many Ying Lings! Tasty stuff!

I saw Sierra had a seasonal ipa and i picked up a sixer, not too bad, but its not the torpedo!

cheers emoticon

decepticobra
08-23-2009, 05:36 AM
to the wheat beer connoisseurs, try Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat. My favorite wheat beer.

I like pretty much everything New Belgium brews.

I've heard Moose Drool is good. It's just too expensive for me to really bite on, so I'll pass for now.

The worst beer in my opinion, Corona. I'm at a loss as to why its so popular. There are way better mexican imports like Modelo, and Bohemia that are similarly priced, and much better tasting.

Corona isnt popular. It just seems that way north of the Rio Grande. You see, Mexico ships us the beers they refuse to drink and clever marketing makes us believe its the best thing ever.

decepticobra
08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
ever since ive been watching youtube vids of "the angry video game nerd" , ive taking an sincere appreciation to drinking rolling rock avidly.

if you never seen this guy's vids, you should check them out. especially if you grew up playing either 8-bit or 16-bit games. he downs a rolling rock or two in just about every video he is in. enjoy.