View Full Version : Distinctly Oklahoma Magazine

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Anybody read it? Right after we purchased our home in OKC in 2007, this magazine started showing up out of the blue. Maybe they have a mailing list of certain demographics they send free subscriptions to? It's a real slick kaolin paper (glossy) magazine that is fairly well done and does have some interesting Oklahoma stuff in it. One of the first things we noticed about it, however, is that it is seems more like an Oklahoma socialite "who's-who". For example, the August issue section aptly named "Socially Seen" there is yet another black tie affair, with the men in tux's and other formal type attire and the ladies in beautiful dresses with some outstanding cleavage shots that we men folk always appreciate. Every issue has one or more of these affairs.

It also usually has some kind of sports article or highlights of a local sports personality or athelete. There was an interesting article on Sherri Coale a while back. Like the name of the magazine implies, there's lots of Oklahoma information and articles about famous Oklahomans. I like it pretty good. I wouldn't pay for a subscription, but I'll keep checking it out as long as they are willing to keep on sending it. The cover price is $4.95 and the annual subscription is $39.95.

Anybody else get this mag?

tuck
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I think they send it free to households w/income over $125,000.

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Holy smokes! How do they know that?? Home price maybe?

fromdust
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM

noooo. i know for a fact my parents dont make anywhere near that and a few years back they started getting this mag, like hvac said, out of the blue.

jbrown84
08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't care much for the graphic design, and yes, it is kind of a glossier version of the OKC Friday--tailor made for the social-conscious upper class.

I MUCH prefer Oklahoma Today or even Oklahoma Magazine (despite it's Tulsa-heavy product).

soonerguru
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM
The editorial is pretty much garbage.

Steve
08-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Oklahoma Today is the Cadillac of state magazines and can't be topped. Ask anyone of prominence which magazine cover they'd love to make and it's hands down Oklahoma Today. Only Oklahoma Today could pull off a downtown Oklahoma City issue where the cover is an instant hit with art lovers (and highly coveted) and the debut party ends up being a standing room only affair.

PennyQuilts
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I love Oklahoma Today. It is one of the few magazines that I actually go back and reread.

soonerfan21
08-17-2009, 07:39 AM
That Downtown OKC cover was a masterpiece! had fun picking out all the specific landmarks/signs, etc.

metro
08-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Holy smokes! How do they know that?? Home price maybe?

Plenty of ways you can find out, many 3rd party companies sell lists of this stuff.

mugofbeer
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
My parents have taken Oklahoma Today for decades. Its a great magazine - just wish it were bigger every month!