View Full Version : Talking to kids about sex

Patrick
02-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Do you think parents should talk to their kids about sex? If so, how much detail should they go into? What's appropriate to mention?

Jay
02-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I think its important to explain the scientific process when they are younger; however, I think its important that parents keep that channel open and explain things as they grow older before they hear it through a friend or through thier own expierementaion.

Teenagers now more than ever need to understand the risks involved with casual sex and that its important to make the right desicions. Its all fun and games until your rearing a child or much worse nursing an ailment or disease.

mranderson
02-01-2005, 09:08 AM
I heard something a lot of people might not agree with, but makes sense.

Here is how I would handle it. If they ask, they are ready to know. I would not neccessarly get graphic, but I would tell them... Regardless of age... If they asked.:bow:

Keith
02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe I told my son about sex when he was 13 years old (he is now 17). We sat down for at least two hours and discussed it. I actually had a medical book that explained reproduction and about diseases that are contracted if protection is not used. I have always preached abstinence and I always will.

My son actually had some good questions for me, and after answering these questions, I realized that he hadn’t heard much about sex from his friends. He doesn’t live a sheltered life, he just runs around with the right people. As mranderson said, sometimes you gotta answer their questions when they ask you. Don't get graphic, just answer their questions.

Now, my daughter…that’s a different story. That will be my wife’s department.:kicking:

mistipetal
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
I think a parent needs to talk to their children about sex. Otherwise, what they get is TV, internet (scary thought) and their friends. My daughter and I have talked about it quite a bit. Sometimes, she asks questions, sometimes I see or hear something I feel I need to address, one time her friends taught her a smutty cheer and I asked if she understood exactly what it was she was saying. If they ask, they are ready to know. And some of it, even if they don't ask, they need to be informed. To protect them. It's sad to have to crush innocence, but better the kind truth from someone that loves them than a miserable awakening.

mranderson
02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Although for a variety of reasons, I would never expose my minor child to it (for one, I am not in the mood to meet "the sisters" at the state pen), I learned a lot via adult videos. Yes, I know, there is more to it than that. I learned in other ways as well.:sofa:

mistipetal
02-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, I've had a few good laughs at adult videos. It didn't seem to help the guys though. :D

Patrick
02-01-2005, 05:26 PM
I think it's actually important sometimes to tell your children about sex before they ask. Sometimes, if you wait until they ask, it might be too late. I think most parents know when their children reach the age where questions might start coming up. Like Keith said, sitting down with your child and just discussing it with them isn't a bad idea. As Keith mentioned, this spurred on questions from his son.

Rev. Bob
02-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Teaching a kid about sex at too young of an age can scar them emotionally. Wait until an old enough age. Age varies, depending on the child.

mranderson
02-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Teaching a kid about sex at too young of an age can scar them emotionally. Wait until an old enough age. Age varies, depending on the child.

Not answering questions honestly can scar as well. Most mental health professionals will tell you, when a child asks, they are emotionally ready to know the answer. If you fail to tell them the truth, THAT will scar them.

:sofa:

Rev. Bob
02-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Not answering questions honestly can scar as well. Most mental health professionals will tell you, when a child asks, they are emotionally ready to know the answer. If you fail to tell them the truth, THAT will scar them.

:sofa:

My only problem is with parents that talk to their children too early, before they ask. Parents even have sex in front of their children when their children are younger. That can be emotionally scarring.

Jay
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
I think its best to explain the scientific part of where babies come from; however, a parent can usually skip or make up the part of how the seed is planted.

Most parents know the right time to have the "talk".

In my opinion if you start with and stick to the scietific and medical explination of sex. You have already set the stage for the talk; therefore, you will feel less apprehensive when it is time for the "talk".

Jay
02-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Rev. Bob I agree I think parents should do everything they can to shield kids from sex until its time for them to know.

rxis
02-11-2005, 03:31 PM
A lot of parents have sex in front of their children? How old are these children?