View Full Version : Highway patrol reprimands?

old okie
08-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Are we the only ones who believe at least two of the three highway patrolmen who "left early and falsified their time sheets" while supposed to be on duty guarding the governor should be fired immediately?

Most employees who "leave early and falsify time sheets" are terminated at once. These guys were caught on video, according to the paper. The one who admitted to leaving, but wasn't seen leaving, we could accept a reprimand---and a reassignment to an 8 to 5, highly supervised desk job!

After the "choking incident" and now this, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol is experiencing a real PR nightmare. Time to clean house!

kevinpate
08-16-2009, 04:08 AM
That one or more was suspended without pay for a spell and reassigned to different duties afterwards did not surprise me. Good people sometimes do stupid things

However, that they apparently are not expected to make restitution to the state for the unworked hours they received pay for, that was what stood out to me when I saw in the article.

Restocking the cookie jar doesn't seem to be too much to ask, and it's almost always a condition in the private sector, whether charges are brought by an employer or not.

kevinpate
08-16-2009, 04:10 AM
The other thing that surprised me is the spokesman statement that security was never compromised. If your security folks are leaving early, yet security was not compromised, doesn't it follow that you had more folks than needed on duty to begin with.

Maybe he meant to say that fortunately nothing bad happened while hookey was being played and we had less security on the grounds than we were programmed to have.

All in all, I guess it's a good thing the gov and his family are stalker free.

decepticobra
08-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Are we the only ones who believe at least two of the three highway patrolmen who "left early and falsified their time sheets" while supposed to be on duty guarding the governor should be fired immediately?

Most employees who "leave early and falsify time sheets" are terminated at once. These guys were caught on video, according to the paper. The one who admitted to leaving, but wasn't seen leaving, we could accept a reprimand---and a reassignment to an 8 to 5, highly supervised desk job!

After the "choking incident" and now this, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol is experiencing a real PR nightmare. Time to clean house!

I have an idea for a new primetime tv show..should be a huge success:

"real, REAL stories of the highway patrol"

PennyQuilts
08-16-2009, 06:22 AM
I recall back when I was doing employment law they hired a former state trooper. Ugly little toad of a man. I remember wondering if the HWP had height requirements because this guy wasn't much bigger than me and I am a small woman. I can't recall what he'd done but it was serious. When we checked his record, he'd twice been reprimanded by the HWP for exchanging sex for dropping tickets. EWEWWW.. Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone would get close to that for any amount of money. And I also wonder how in the world he got rehired by my agency. Or why the HWP gave him a second chance. It made me wonder how often that sort of thing takes place. I have no evidence at all that it does but I wondered about it. I wondered if he had a sponsor or something.

I'm shuddering just thinking about that creep.

kevinpate
08-16-2009, 06:40 AM
I recall back when I was doing employment law they hired a former state trooper. Ugly little toad of a man. ...
I'm shuddering just thinking about that creep.

Recalling an old joke about a drunk driver, a LEO and the redneck breathalyzer test.

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Yep. My organization just fired a guy on the spot for exactly that. Most employers have zero tolerance for falsification of official documents.

It's sad to see this kind of thing happening with our LEO's. We have only had one encounter with an OHP officer and it was completely positive. My daughter was 15 and driving on I-40 on her Georgia learners permit. We approached a U-haul truck that was teetering badly and looked like it might flip over at any moment around even a small curve. On the next long straight run, I told my daughter to pass him quickly. And of course she did, and of course the OHP was right there. He raced ahead of us, and pulled over another driver who had passed us at a high rate of speed, then got out of his car, in the middle of the highway and flagged us over. He then went and wrote the first driver a citation while we waited. My intent was to explain why I told my 15 YO daughter to speed. Well, he approaches with a smile and says "I bet ya'll though I was a crazy man standing in the middle of the road waving didn't ya"? Anyway, he told my daughter not to worry because he had just issued his last ticket to the guy ahead of us, and didn't have any left, so only a verbal warning. We chatted pleasantly for a few minutes, and it turned out he was freshly back in the states from Iraq and back to work at OHP. What a polite and professional young man he was. And I bet most of our troopers are like that.

Like my senior drill instructor at Parris Island used to say: "You always have that 10% that fu#k it up for everybody else." And that 10% are the ones that end up in a video on the 5:00 news abusing their authority.