View Full Version : Circuit Training

ericbrowning
08-13-2009, 05:09 AM
I was curious how many of you that work out use circuit training and for what reasons. Have any of you run into problems when doing it?

I suggest it to patients who don't want to spend all day working out. It allows them a way to be efficient with their time and still get their exercises done.

I am linking a video that I created on this subject if you would like to learn more about it.

YouTube - Circuit Training for Efficiency (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4I9pFuQcq8)

Eric

bretthexum
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I do it, mainly for time reasons myself. It also seems to help more on endurance.

Nice video. What did you use to make it?

native
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Circuit training by far is the most time efficient way to workout. I used various forms of circuit training when I used to train people. GVT, Lactic acid training & HIIT to name a few. I also would employ 'active rest' in my training to help ramp up EPOC.
Most of my clients want to lose weight, not particularly get big. Nothing in the gym can beat circuit training techniques for fast weight loss.

ericbrowning
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Bretthexum,

I used IMovie basic. Not real hard to learn at all to create. Mainly then its the content fill.
Most people including myself don't like to have to exercise. I do it because I know it is smart. The college of sports medicine suggests 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise most days of the week. Some circuit training along with some specific cardio seems to help the 30 minute pass quickly and allow for me to get alot done.

Native,

I would like you to expand on your terms, GVT, HIIT and EPOC both for my benefit and the readers. Glad to know you utilize this form of exercise. I am always looking for trainers who both understand the physiology, but I am not always on the same level with the lingo, so you'll have to help me out.

Luke
08-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I came across an author several years ago named John Peterson who never lifted weights. He only used visualized resistance (flexing muscle groups) or body-weight resistance. I did these exercises at that time with great results. Then I kinda stopped. But now I've used these exercises on a daily basis since I've started focusing on my health the past 6 weeks. It's amazing how simply flexing your muscles can yield such effective results. And it's free.

http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com/files/products/pushingpower.jpg

Who needs weights?

ronronnie1
08-27-2009, 12:18 AM
^^^He probably got those results from the "own body weight resistance" rather then the "invisioning muscles flexing." Using your own body weight as resisitance really works. People using the pulldown bar pulling down tons of weight can't necassarily do pullups. But people acustomed to doing pullups can pull a lot of weight on the machine. This is why body weight resistance is so useful - pulling, lifting, balancing your own weight through space. It engages more muscles at one time then any machine or free weight can.

MadMonk
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I came across an author several years ago named John Peterson who never lifted weights. He only used visualized resistance (flexing muscle groups) or body-weight resistance. I did these exercises at that time with great results. Then I kinda stopped. But now I've used these exercises on a daily basis since I've started focusing on my health the past 6 weeks. It's amazing how simply flexing your muscles can yield such effective results. And it's free.

Who needs weights?

Sounds a lot like the old "Dynamic Tension" method from Charles Atlas.

Luke
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Sounds a lot like the old "Dynamic Tension" method from Charles Atlas.

That's exactly right. John Peterson honors Charles Atlas in the book and bases his exercises on Atlas's.

ericbrowning
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I like that Luke. Certainly partial body weight training is acheivable with things like the Total Gym for people that can't do pull ups but still want to train using their own body weight. I love anything that doesn't break the bank. Most of the exercises I teach people in clinic utilize their own body weight or light resistant bands. It's cheap and I can typically really help a person improve their strength and stabilization that way.

I also do my musculoskeletal exams the same way....functionally testing their own isometric strength and dynamic stability.

Thanks.

Eric