View Full Version : found a turtle

braums manager
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
i found a turtle a few months back while walking on 63 past the golf course took it down to the creek by penn square and today my friends were coming to bring my keys back and they brought me this very same turtle still has moss grown into its shell i think it might remember me as he doesnt seem quite as skittish dont know if i should keep it since fate has brought right back or take back down to the creek its a pretty big turtle about 3 maybe 4 pounds

if anybody knows where i can drop it some where where it wont come back let me know thanks

Jon27
08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
i found a turtle a few months back while walking on 63 past the golf course took it down to the creek by penn square and today my friends were coming to bring my keys back and they brought me this very same turtle still has moss grown into its shell i think it might remember me as he doesnt seem quite as skittish dont know if i should keep it since fate has brought right back or take back down to the creek its a pretty big turtle about 3 maybe 4 pounds

if anybody knows where i can drop it some where where it wont come back let me know thanks

I would say Lake Hefner, sounds like you are close. From the story, it'll probably be on your porch the next morning!

braums manager
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
lol yea i know

decepticobra
08-12-2009, 10:23 PM
cool? which one did you find? michelangelo? leonardo? donatello? or raphael?

Jesseda
08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
haha , decepticobra you brought back memories, i was a kid playing in the creek behind my house, it was when ninja turtles just came out with the movie and was really popular, i remember about 10 feet from me a possum popped up from some brush i was only probably 3 ft something at the time and the possum seems huge to me, the first thing that came to my mind was master splinter and ooze.. i freaked out and ran as fast as i could home thinking the giant mutated rat was going to get me.

Midtowner
08-13-2009, 08:37 AM
ROUS

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:yubN_pQCfavvsM:http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/rous.bmp

Jesseda
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
now that thing is creepy, wasnt there some weird 80s horror movie about a giant tunnel rat killing people in some oil fields

decepticobra
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
i went to a bar once and got drunk with 3 other guys sitting alongside me: yoda, mr. miyagi and master splinter.

the latter wouldnt stop talking about turtles for some reason. one of the other guys wanted me to clean up some beer i spilled by using two rags with both hands going in a circular motion and the other guy kept saying i needed to use more force.

braums manager
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
cool? which one did you find? michelangelo? leonardo? donatello? or raphael?

pick one

kevinpate
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
feed it strawberries and crab legs
..... grumble, grumble, grumble, still not completely over when the beloved had a freakin turtle that was eating better than I was

tburn
08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
My neighbor found a turtle in her backyard! She feeds it strawberries, lettuce, etc. Gives it fresh water ... it has survived winter and summer so she's happy!
My dog would have a field day with a turtle so I would have to take it to Lake Hefner.
We have seen a few of them near the walking trails, east of Stars & Stripes park - plenty of forest and access to water and bugs or whatever they normally eat.

so1rfan
08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
A couple of years ago I noticed my dog gnawing on what looked like a rock. On closer inspection she was trying to sample the delicacy known as a box turtle. I took it away from her and transported the turtle to my pond. My dog had done a pretty good job of chewing and managed to put some deep grooves in the underbelly.

Fast forward to a year later, and I notice the dog gnawing on another rock. Guess what? Another turtle. I take it away and sure enough it is the exact same turtle only this time with nice healed grooves in the underbelly. As I took it back to the pond, I wondered if it took the turtle a full year to go back and ask the dog "you want another piece of me?"

HVAC Instructor
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
From what I have learned about turtles, they migrate during mating season. If you see a turtle heading across a busy road, and you feel compelled to "help" make sure you help the turtle to keep going in its original direction; don't turn it around from the direction it came because it will only turn right back around and head across the road again. It is operating on natures radar.

So the reason you are seeing these same turtles each year is because they are doing what is instinctual to them. They are heading off to breed, and then turning back around and heading home.

If you decide to keep one as a pet, be aware that you have interfered with it's pursuit of a mate, and you are not necessarily doing it a favor. But if you do decide to keep it, feed it only vegitation like a previous poster said. I once saw a rescued turtle in the Atlanta zoo that had these hard armour looking growth protrusions on its shell. The zoo keeper said that the turtle had been fed dog food, which is high protein, and not good for turtles because it is not what they eat in nature. Apparently the turtle suffered other health issues as well due to the well intending, but misinformed owner.

Turtles make cool pets, but just remember that they are a wild animal and part of nature and when we remove them from their natural habitat, we are preventing them from doing the job nature designed them do.

kevinpate
08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
> I wondered if it took the turtle a full year to go back and ask the
> dog "you want another piece of me?"

Cleaning the screen, smiling all the while. Enjoyed that!

wheltzel
09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
>>if anybody knows where i can drop it some where where it wont come back let me know thanks<<

How about dropping it in a pot of boiling water? Turtle soup anyone? Guarantee it won't hunt you down again....

braums manager
09-03-2009, 05:33 PM
bad idea i cant even drop a live lobster into boiling water