View Full Version : Best of OKC results!

Pages : [1] 2

urbanity
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
http://www.okgazette.com/p/12937/Default.aspx

westsidesooner
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
When are they ever going to add a best OKC related website catagory? Theres a lot out there to choose form that are worthy.

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
About the only thing that I voted for that won was best bartender, Shannon at Red Prime. But other than that the other people that voted live different lives than I do. Zios best Italian? Give me a break.

jbrown84
08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I thought it was odd that the winner of best chef was from Rococco, which wasn't even on the radar of any of the other restaurant categories.

CrimsonOberon
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I see about a half dozen of my own picks represented. Some were no-brainers, like Cattlemen's for Best Steakhouse, Bin 73 for Best Wine Selection, or Hideaway for Best Pizza.

I'm a little disappointed that Tokyo Sushi did not win the Best Sushi award, though.http://www.okctalk.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

so1rfan
08-13-2009, 07:22 AM
And I see where the most overated Mexican food in OKC is most overated again.

These picks are done on autopilot by thoughtless lemmings.

lasomeday
08-13-2009, 07:35 AM
They should have the voting as fill in the blank instead of giving a options, that way it is a true best of OKC. Sure there may be a few that are illegible, but most won't be.

wsucougz
08-13-2009, 07:36 AM
More complaining :) ...

Sala Thai and Gopuram have gone way downhill in the last 3 years. I'm not even sure I'd eat at Sala Thai at this point.

I'll have to pick up the print edition and see the runners up because almost none of OKC's best establishments are mentioned here.

flintysooner
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Results are indicative of who can mount the most effective campaigns.

urbanity
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
The Gazette allows open nominations for three weeks in June where readers can fill in the blanks, and then they're compiled into the Top 5 for the runoff voting in July.

EBAH
08-13-2009, 09:08 AM
OK, the presence of Ted's, Sushi Neko, and Zio's, I find troubling, none of which would make the top of my list in their respective category. Also, Zorba's, while good, is nowhere near the best Mediterranean. But, the biggest flaw with this list, is by FAR, the first item. Java Dave's?!?!?!?! Best Coffee House ?!?!?!?! You have got to be kidding me....

fuzzytoad
08-13-2009, 09:16 AM
OK, the presence of Ted's, Sushi Neko, and Zio's, I find troubling, none of which would make the top of my list in their respective category. Also, Zorba's, while good, is nowhere near the best Mediterranean. But, the biggest flaw with this list, is by FAR, the first item. Java Dave's?!?!?!?! Best Coffee House ?!?!?!?! You have got to be kidding me....

agreed.. everyone in my office finds this thing gets more and more corrupt every year.

especially since we got a campaign together this year with over 1600 entries put in for Bricktown Burgers and it *still* didn't get on the list for voting.

wsucougz
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I fail to see the problem really with Sushi Neko and Ted's. For discussion's sake - what's better?

fuzzytoad
08-13-2009, 10:26 AM
I fail to see the problem really with Sushi Neko and Ted's. For discussion's sake - what's better?

Okura

&

Abuelo's.. I'd say Alvarado's, but it's technically not in OKC.

bandnerd
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Glad to see Iguana Lounge and Broadway Wine Merchants on the list. I voted for both.

kmf563
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, I agree with 6. Which is more than last year.

1. Best Breakfast - Jimmy's Egg
2. Best Desserts - La Baguette
3. Best Kid Friendly - Incredible Pizza
4. Best Local Live Music - UCO Jazz Lab
5. Best Signature Drink - Edna's Lunchbox
6. Best Liquor Store - Byron's Liquor Warehouse

OKCMallen
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
And I see where the most overated Mexican food in OKC is most overated again.

These picks are done on autopilot by thoughtless lemmings.

Wow. The place is so damned popular it's had to open multiple, large locations...and it's not deserving of the award? Get over yourself.

OKCMallen
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Tokyo is as good as Neko, as is In the Raw in Bricktown.

OKCMallen
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Okura

&

Abuelo's.. I'd say Alvarado's, but it's technically not in OKC.

Abuelo's is a chain. Certainly not one of "OKC's" places.

fuzzytoad
08-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Abuelo's is a chain. Certainly not one of "OKC's" places.

so the hell what?

so is Zio's and it won for best Italian.

Golden Palace originated in OKC? lol

Incredible Pizza?

OKCMallen
08-13-2009, 12:10 PM
so the hell what?

so is Zio's and it won for best Italian.

Golden Palace originated in OKC? lol

Incredible Pizza?

Yeah, and they're all lame-ass picks.

fuzzytoad
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow. The place is so damned popular it's had to open multiple, large locations...and it's not deserving of the award? Get over yourself.

McDonalds was popular enough to open locations all over the world, millions of restaurants, but I wouldn't say they have the best burgers.

fuzzytoad
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, and they're all lame-ass picks.

agreed, but what does Abuelos's being a chain have to do with it not being eligible? I think it's better than Ted's any day of the week.

kmf563
08-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't see what everyone's obsession with Ted's is. It's bland, it's overpriced, the tables are too small, the staff is mediocre, and I can't think of one thing that makes it a best of anything. Would I eat it? Sure. But not more than I have too. I also eat Taco Bell. That doesn't make it a best of anything.

icecold
08-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't see what everyone's obsession with Ted's is. It's bland, it's overpriced, the tables are too small, the staff is mediocre, and I can't think of one thing that makes it a best of anything. Would I eat it? Sure. But not more than I have too. I also eat Taco Bell. That doesn't make it a best of anything.

I completely agree. I have never understood the mystique of that place.

jbrown84
08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
They should have the voting as fill in the blank instead of giving a options.

That's how they get the nominees. It usually prevents such choices as Zio's and Ted's. Alas.

I fail to see the problem really with Ted's. For discussion's sake - what's better?

La Luna (by miles and miles)
Iguana Mexican Grill
Cocino de Mino
Abuelo's
Abuelita Rosa's (Shawnee)
San Marcos
Mariscos la Costa
Chelino's

I don't see what everyone's obsession with Ted's is. It's bland, it's overpriced, the tables are too small, the staff is mediocre, and I can't think of one thing that makes it a best of anything.

Best tortillas? Sure. Great queso. Yes. The rest of it is overpriced and mediocre. And the service, well WOW, I just can't believe it won best service. It's like a cattle call in that place.

kmf563
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Best tortillas? Sure. Great queso. Yes. The rest of it is overpriced and mediocre. And the service, well WOW, I just can't believe it won best service. It's like a cattle call in that place.

It is like a cattle call. LOL.

I think Poblanos has the best (corn) tortillas and relish.

proud2Bsooner
08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Best politician: Andrew Rice

That says a lot about the Gazette.

fromdust
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
mexican: casa perico
best steak is not catlemans. imo, it is red prime.
they need to have a best of for pho!

rondvu
08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree, a lot of the best results are not all that good, mediocre at the most. Wonder if money goes under the table? I don't put much emphasis on the Gazette's best anymore. It is what it is.

jbrown84
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Still WAAAAY better than the Oklahoman's.

OKCDrummer77
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Still WAAAAY better than the Oklahoman's.

True. The last time I noticed the Oklahoman's survey, they allowed national chains in their voting. Starbucks won best coffee shop.

This survey should be called "Places in OKC the Most People Have Heard Of."

possumfritter
08-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Mooooooooooooooo...I think Pablanos has the absolute best Chikin Chili Rellenos!

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz245/my_babyn5/cow.jpg

jbrown84
08-13-2009, 05:13 PM
This survey should be called "Places in OKC the Most People Have Heard Of."

:LolLolLol

Dustin
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Where is golden house located?? I've been wondering this for quite some time.

so1rfan
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Yes, damn popular by thoughtless lemmings. Taco Bell and Taco Mayo are pretty damn popular too.

Is Ted your daddy or something?

Lord Helmet
08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
How does Sonic win best Happy Hour under the NIGHTLIFE category??!!??!! Wtf OKC?

td25er
08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Honestly, there is very little difference between Ted's, Abuelo's, Chelino's, Cocina de Mino, Dos Gabacho's, and Poblano Grill. They are all pretty good, but nothing spectacular.

kmf563
08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
How does Sonic win best Happy Hour under the NIGHTLIFE category??!!??!! Wtf OKC?

I wondered that myself. Really? My happy hour is a lot different than what's offered at Sonic.

SoonerDave
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
It is like a cattle call. LOL.

Ted's used to be one of my family's favorites until their prices darned-near doubled AND their portions were sliced by (to be kind) about 1/3.

My wife and I were faithful customers of Ted's over on North May, and later the new one closer to home on S. Western until we started to see this change, and suddenly realized we couldn't justify their prices anymore. I think we've been there maybe once in the last couple of years. Pity. At some point, you realize there are only so many ways to sling meat into a shell (or a tortilla).

We like Alvarado's in Moore (I think that's the name) - its the one in the stripmall on the north end, off I-35 on the west service road, but we don't visit it as often as we did Ted's...

Of course, I'm probably not the right person to ask about Mexican places in too much detail....see my rant about losing Interurban on I-240 in favor of a Poblano Grill... &%#$(^%&$

fuzzytoad
08-14-2009, 10:06 AM

A result like that is something that should invalidate the whole idiotic "Best of" deal..

I'm sure that will bring in the tourists though.. Woo!! Happy hour!! lets go unwind with a slushie in bricktown!!!!

morons.

OKCMallen
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
[quote=so1rfan;246651]Yes, damn popular by thoughtless lemmings. Taco Bell and Taco Mayo are pretty damn popular too.

Is Ted your daddy or something?

And where do you get off on telling me to get over myself. [quote]

It's easy: you think your opinion is so amazing, correct and important that only thoughtless lemmings can think Ted's is worthy of an award. So, again, get over yourself.

OKCMallen
08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
That's how they get the nominees. It usually prevents such choices as Zio's and Ted's. Alas.

Iguana Mexican Grill
Cocino de Mino
Abuelo's
San Marcos
Mariscos la Costa
Chelino's

jbrown, good list on the Mexican food, but I gotta say you're the first person I've ever heard say Chelino's was better than Ted's! You're right about the service there...sure, I get fresh queso and stuff, but it's elbow to elbow in there and it's ahrd to get comfortable with the servers jostling your table.

so1rfan
08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
jbrown, good list on the Mexican food, but I gotta say you're the first person I've ever heard say Chelino's was better than Ted's! You're right about the service there...sure, I get fresh queso and stuff, but it's elbow to elbow in there and it's ahrd to get comfortable with the servers jostling your table.

You think your opinion is so amazing, correct and important that you think you are the only one entitled to an opinion.

Platemaker
08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
jbrown, good list on the Mexican food, but I gotta say you're the first person I've ever heard say Chelino's was better than Ted's!

Iguana Mexican Grill
Cocino de Mino
Abuelo's
San Marcos
Mariscos la Costa
Chelino's

La Luna.....ehhhh.
Iguana Mexican Grill.... yum.
Cocino de Mino..... ehh
Abuelo's..... national chain... shouldn't be considered.
Abuelita Rosa's (Shawnee)..... couldn't tell ya.
San Marcos...... the salsa especial is WONDERFUL.
Mariscos la Costa.....better.
Chelino's..... hardly.

possumfritter
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Platemaker,

I gotta agree with you about Chelino's. I went to the one on Council and the NW Exp. maybe 2 years ago...once!

fromdust
08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
agree with the above posters. chelinos sucks bad....never have liked that place.

wsucougz
08-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Honestly, there is very little difference between Ted's, Abuelo's, Chelino's, Cocina de Mino, Dos Gabacho's, and Poblano Grill. They are all pretty good, but nothing spectacular.

Exactly. For that very reason the Ted's pick, in my mind, is one of the least contentious picks on the list. Same with Neko.

klhokc
08-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I agree... especially on the Ted's issue...Some people just don't have good taste evidently! San Marcos on 39th & N. May is a good place....

Rover
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Look, these lists are "most popular", not really "best" of anything. As we can see by the various remarks here, "best" is very subjective. I have never seen one of these in any publication anywhere that is really reliable as a guide to the best.

And, since it is such a lightning rod, Teds may not be the tastiest according to all on here, but it has been the most consistent for many, many years and that's why they always get picked. It is also why there is usually a wait at all their locations. They may not be best, but they are the most successful of any full service TexMex restaurant in Oklahoma....by far.

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

No kidding right? WTH is going on!?

Patrick
08-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Sonic's Happy Hour is a pretty good deal. Half price drinks. I mean, who else has the best offering of different variety of drinks for the price. But, I agree....when I think night life and happy hour, I think of alcoholic drinks, not Sonic.

kevinpate
08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
but isn't happy hour mid afternoon? or do I just retire so early these days I'm missing a late night 'event'?

USG '60
08-19-2009, 06:31 AM
but isn't happy hour mid afternoon? or do I just retire so early these days I'm missing a late night 'event'?It USED to mean before 5:00 pm, but it varies from business to business. It ain't a legal term. :ohno:

EvokeCoffee
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Even though everyone thinks it's a con, we were pretty excited to win - especially since we had to be in the same category as the OKC CoCo. So, thanks for voting for those that did!

kevinpate
08-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I meant Sonic's H-hour in particular, but yeah, i coulda shoulda been more clear on that. I thought Sonics was a 2-4 pm creation, so seeing it get a nightlife tag confused me.

ElmoFromOK
08-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Even though everyone thinks it's a con, we were pretty excited to win - especially since we had to be in the same category as the OKC CoCo. So, thanks for voting for those that did!

Like we had a chance... :P

Doug Loudenback
08-21-2009, 07:58 PM
agreed.. everyone in my office finds this thing gets more and more corrupt every year.

especially since we got a campaign together this year with over 1600 entries put in for Bricktown Burgers and it *still* didn't get on the list for voting.
I rarely get over that way during daytime, but, I've gotta say when I do, you guy's make a mean burger! Highly recommended!

RedDirt717
08-22-2009, 06:45 AM

These places are good, I missed me some Iguana Grill when I was on the east coast. Actually I missed anything that could be called good Mexican food on the East Coast. We're pretty spoiled here with our BBQ and Mexican food.

Tarahumara's in Norman is the best Mexican food in the state, hands down.

dismayed
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Is it just me or did the Best of OKC used to make since a long time ago, but now days it is more like a train wreck.