View Full Version : Questions Regarding A Slightly Rolled Ankle

OKCisOK4me
08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Yesterday, I was at a friend's house doing our usual Sunday activity--water volleyball. I went up to spike the ball and came down into a dent in the bottom of their above ground pool. Being that it was shaped like a bowl, it caused my ankle to roll. I walked around the pool before we resumed play and I played at least 4 more games on it. But once I got out (of the warm water) it began to get bad.

I got home and before I knew it, I could hardly walk. I went to a neighbor's and he supplied me with an ACE bandage and one of those refreezing ice bags. I made out alright last night and have the ACE bandage on now today at work to stabilize it. It's really not that bad and I can actually put all my weight on it without it hurting.

I've rolled ankles when playing basketball in high school (both ankles within a week of each other) but that was 13 years ago. I can't remember what those felt like. I do remember that they were much more (way more) swollen than what I see now so my question is...what can and can't I do? Should I be able to ride my stationary bike, putting most of the pressure on my other foot? I'd imagine calf lifts are out of the picture at least on my left foot.

I guess I'm out of the volleyball scene for a while huh?

PennyQuilts
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Get thee to a doctor. You aren't as young as you once were.

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Actually I think I'll be alright. It's amazing the difference one day can make! From looking online it seems I have a grade 1 sprain. It will, obviously, still take a while to fully recover but I'll take it any day over the others. Thanks for your recommendation though!

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm glad you are feeling better! Keep your ankle propped up or something.

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm glad you are feeling better! Keep your ankle propped up or something.

As much as I work, that's not going to happen, but I sleep with it elevated at night!

ericbrowning
08-13-2009, 05:07 AM
This is for everyone.

If you roll your ankle and you immediately find that you can't stand on it because it feels like it is going to roll or going or the pain is absolutely severe, then it is advisable to go to the doctor. The Ottawa Ankle Rules state that their is a high likelyhood of complete rupture of the ligament that supports the knee or a fracture in these cases. But when you are able to play or walk on it afterwards, you may have strained it, albeit badly, but it is probably not worthy of an xray. A PT will usually not even charge you, or if they do, very little, to look at it, and they don't need a referral to do that. They would be the best (besides a good orthopedist) and cheapest one to evaluate it.

Eric