View Full Version : a field trip when i was little in okc area.. please help me find it

Jesseda
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
okay, i was in first grade and our school tooka field trip to this place that had a hay ride that took us over a covered bridge and they had ducks eveywhere, then they had this old pioneer house where they showed us how they made bread back in the pioneer days, they had a bunch of little things throught the nature area, we picniced out there, we then roasted marshmallows out there, does anybody or has anybody had a field trip like this or at this place, they had some old farm equipment they told us about as well during our trip out there.. I know it was around okc area.. mid 80s is when i went

mugofbeer
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Maybe east side of town, I think it was like off Sooner road owned by a company that made caulk and other things....cant think of the name.

mugofbeer
08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
MacLanburg Duncan park?

Jesseda
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
trying to find a pic ora link to that maclanburg park, do they have thins like this atthe park for school field trips?

kmf563
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
sounds like the Harn Homestead to me. Off Lincoln Blvd. There is an old school building now, a barn, the house and ducks everywhere! You get to make butter and tour the house and work out in the barn.

Jesseda
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
did they have a small hay ride with it, i remember the only restrooms wa port a pottys back then? i checked there web site, for some reason i do remember grinding corn, oh well, i will take the kids to check it out, maybe bring back some good memories

MsDarkstar
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I worked at the Harn for 4yrs so I know quite a bit about the place. To my knowledge, they never offered hayrides. There is a small farmhouse & a working barn on site, and one of the education programs splits the students into smaller groups and they visit "stations" in the two areas for a designated amount of time. There are stations in the garden, the barn (one of those you grind corn at), and the farmhouse (washing dishes, doing laundry, darning socks). Also, I don't believe there are ducks at the Harn. At least there were never any when I was there, so if there are some they'd be a new addition. There's not a pond on site though so I can't imagine that they'd suddenly have ducks. There's not a bridge on site either.

Jesseda, what elementary school did you go to? I grew up in Moore, and I can remember going on a field trip when I was in pre-school or kindergarton where we visited a farm or dairy...I believe there was a hayride there, and I remember there being ducks. I think we made butter, too.

Jesseda
08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
i went to winding creek, and yes there was an elderly lady that churned butter, she was wearing old fashion clothing

dismayed
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Could it have been the Orr Family Farm is far SW OKC? They definitely offer hayrides.

Orr Family Farm: Family Agr-Tainment in Oklahoma City (http://www.orrfamilyfarm.com/showtime.htm)

jstanthrnme
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I think I have your answer. I took a similar field trip there 2 times in elementary school.

The place is called The Wilds, and they were near El Reno/Yukon.

I distinctly remember the covered bridge. But nothing else rings a bell.

gmwise
08-11-2009, 03:42 AM
Isnt there a farm near council, maybe rockwell<?> that has all that?
I cant think of the name of the place

Jesseda
08-11-2009, 07:21 AM
I remember it taking forever to get there as a kid, maybe it was in el reno area, i know it hada lot of wooded trees all around

Jesseda
08-11-2009, 07:22 AM
it wasnt orr family farm, i dont think the them part of the farm ws built at that time..

jstanthrnme
08-11-2009, 08:47 AM
This is the covered bridge from the Wilds. I can't seem to find any other images or info on it, but I'm sure this is the place your thinking of.

http://www.dalejtravis.com/bridge/oklahoma/jpg/36009a1.jpg

Jesseda
08-11-2009, 11:05 AM
that looks a lot like it, whatever happen to tht place?

Jesseda
08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
did some internet snooping and foun out the the wilds is closed completely , it is up for sale or auction here is the link http://www.okauctioneers.org/member_search.php?i=W scroll down to here it list lynn wilds in el reno

Double Edge
08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't think it's up for sale. It's used for a Christian youth camp and whatever.

September 1st 2006 we acquired the old Wilds Fish Farm and began to clean and repair on the property with Open Hearts. If you have an Open Heart & would like to help please contact Berry at 405-596-7839. In recent years, the Wilds has been closed to the public. We opened as The Wilds of BLC (Berry Lake Camps) in May of 2007. On September 20th Harvest Celebration and Group Cookouts began and on December 6 Christmas in the Barn Holiday Hayrides began.

Then in the Summer of 2008 BLC teamed up with two ministries to begin two programs under the umbrella of BLC. Cross Timbers of BLC Father/Son Ministry under the direction of David Cox came aboard and Men of Joseph of BLC with the guidance of director Raliegh Ervin joined with us.

Located on 40 wooded acres with a 12 acre lake, the Wilds is just west of Oklahoma City on Britton Road 7.5 miles west of Highway 4/ Piedmont Road just 4.5 miles east of highway 81.

From this link:
About BLC (http://blc1.wordpress.com/about/)

Jesseda
08-14-2009, 07:34 AM
hmmm i wonder if the owner of wilds is selling another farm lynn wilds has a berry farm that is up for auction

Jesseda
08-14-2009, 08:06 AM
i looked at the pics on that web site you gave and it does look like the wilds and the place i visited asa kid