View Full Version : We are here: The Pale Blue Dot - This is the only home we have...

HVAC Instructor
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Whether you believe in god or not, this will give you pause to think. To think abouthow you act toward your fellowman. To think about your misplaced sense of self importance. To think about how silly our political thought processes actually are. To think about how insane it is to kill each other in the name of god. To think about how insignificant we really are in the scheme of the vastness of the universe.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pfwY2TNehw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2pfwY2TNehw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

mugofbeer
08-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Whether you like it or not as an admitted non - believer, to a believer your statements mean you have no real purpose in life. A beliver would say your life has no meaning and if there is no afterlife, if you simply cease to exist once you die, your life has no more value than dust in the wind. So, before going out and starting threads such as "Religion is Bovine Scat," understand that to believers, their religion IS their life.

HVAC Instructor
08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Whether you like it or not as an admitted non - believer, to a believer your statements mean you have no real purpose in life. A beliver would say your life has no meaning and if there is no afterlife, if you simply cease to exist once you die, your life has no more value than dust in the wind. So, before going out and starting threads such as "Religion is Bovine Scat," understand that to believers, their religion IS their life.

I have no idea what you mean Mugs, because it is evident you have no idea what you are talking about.

I post a couple of videos and you and some others think you know what I believe or do not believe. This is an excellent, well thought out video designed to get people to think about their lives and how they treat their fellow human beings. And from this you attempt to draw some conclusion about me? Give it a rest, and just enjoy the video.

I will give you a small clue: I believe Christians, aka - "believers" - are often some of the most arrogant, intolerant people on the planet, just like fanatacal Atheists are on the opposite end.

I'll also tell you this: Radical Islamists are "believers" too, just like Christians, and they believe fervently they are right, just as Christians and Atheists do.

All you "believers", just look in the mirror and ask yourselves: "What if I'm wrong?" And then think about it for a while. Streets of gold? 72 virgins? What's the difference in these two fairy tales?

mugofbeer
08-09-2009, 08:26 PM
HVAC - you stated on another thread you are agnostic, therefore you stated what you believe. I don't profess to know you personally but I know that people like you try to go out and belittle other's beliefs and cry about intolerance while making intolerant statements about religion in general. You and I have similar "beliefs" since we are both agnostics but I am not going to belittle someone and their beliefs because they are Christian or they are Hindu or Jewish. I watched the video and found it thought provoking but knowing the source of the video after your "Religion is Bovine Scat" thread, you pretty much lose credibility.

As I said, without Christianity (referring only to Christians now), their lives would be devoid of meaning if they didn't have their beliefs. The old rock band Kansas and writer/member Kerry Livgren released a song Dust in the Wind that subtly brought out his searching for meaning in life and his own feelings of emptiness which he soon found in Christianity. He spent several years after that playing Christian rock before returning to the band Kansas.

Your writing shows your own intolerance while at the same time decries religion for its intolerances.

HVAC Instructor
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
HVAC - you stated on another thread you are agnostic, therefore you stated what you believe. I don't profess to know you personally but I know that people like you try to go out and belittle other's beliefs and cry about intolerance while making intolerant statements about religion in general. You and I have similar "beliefs" since we are both agnostics but I am not going to belittle someone and their beliefs because they are Christian or they are Hindu or Jewish. I watched the video and found it thought provoking but knowing the source of the video after your "Religion is Bovine Scat" thread, you pretty much lose credibility.

As I said, without Christianity (referring only to Christians now), their lives would be devoid of meaning if they didn't have their beliefs. The old rock band Kansas and writer/member Kerry Livgren released a song Dust in the Wind that subtly brought out his searching for meaning in life and his own feelings of emptiness which he soon found in Christianity. He spent several years after that playing Christian rock before returning to the band Kansas.

Your writing shows your own intolerance while at the same time decries religion for its intolerances.

One thing you need to learn Mugs is that just because your definition of Agnostic for you means one thing, you simply cannot box all levels of Agnosticism in to one neat little corner. That is arrogant, and takes your credibility away. So you are just intolerant of my views as you accuse me of being to religion. I tolerate religion, I just question it. I believe all religion should be questioned, and if you are so thinned skinned that it bothers you, then perhaps you need to revist your beliefs rather than attack the person who called your beliefs into question.

We might could have an interesting discussion on what I actually believe if you could ask questions instead of ASSuming my intent. The only correct thing you have thus far stated is that you do not know me personally. The rest is your intolerant assumption my friend.

mugofbeer
08-09-2009, 09:39 PM
No, you are correct. But the basic notion you have brought up in the various threads is that of doubt. Not belief or disbelief but "not knowing" and questionning beliefs. We share that basic premise which is the basis for being agnostic. Now as far as other, secondary strings of belief, who knows?

We have been discussing tolerance of religion and intolerance. Why you feel you needed to start name calling such as "arrogant" and "ASSuming my intent" (I get your insinuation) is pretty unnecessary. I assumed nothing. I made observations based on things you stated here and on other threads so unless you believe one thing here and on another thread you believe another way, you've contradicted yourself several times.

I am sorry you have felt the need to become insulting so I will leave you to your intolerant and downright insulting thoughts.

HVAC Instructor
08-10-2009, 05:36 AM
I am sorry you have felt the need to become insulting so I will leave you to your intolerant and downright insulting thoughts.

:LolLolLol Now thats funny Mugs! All I did was turn your own debating technique back on you and you found it insulting. :LolLolLol

As to name calling...I don't think either of us has actually resorted to that. I did say that your assumptions were arrogant, but I did not call you an "arrogant blankety-blank". Big difference.

Why don't we continue the discussion at hand by sticking to the topic, and staying off each other personally?