View Full Version : Smacktalkin' about the GM of OEC

JRDave
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Hot Topic Blog: "Pollution from the pen of the general manager of Oklahoma Electric Cooperative" (http://blogs.journalrecord.com/hottopic/2009/08/06/pollution-from-the-pen-of-the-general-manager-of-oklahoma-electric-cooperative/)

"It’s no surprise that Mr. Watkins is against the proposed regulation of pollution (cap & trade); he burns coal for a living. And frankly, I am not opposed to his opposition. What irks me, besides the obvious grammar issues, is his method. It is the same old, tired, partisan screaming that he seems to detest...

...some persuasive tactics get in the way of the message and lead not to an exchange of ideas but degenerate into what amounts to a shrill irritant."

soonerguru
08-07-2009, 11:41 AM
While I agree with the Journal Record writer, this is political and doesn't belong on this board.

king183
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm a Californian, and I don't really mind because I understand what he was trying to say, even if he did it poorly (as you pointed out, the writing wasn't outstanding). His point wasn't to smear Californians, but to point out that under this legislation it will be states like California that benefit the most financially because they get a much higher proportion of their electricity from hydropower and sources other than coal, which is the primary source for states like Oklahoma.

Like I said, poorly written, but let's not get outraged because he's attacking Californians as a people, because that's not what he's doing. You can argue the wisdom of the policy; just drop the faux outrage based on a misinterpretation of his piece (though part of it's his fault for not being more clear).

soonerguru
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Like I said, poorly written, but let's not get outraged because he's attacking Californians as a people, because that's not what he's doing. You can argue the wisdom of the policy; just drop the faux outrage based on a misinterpretation of his piece (though part of it's his fault for not being more clear).

I think the OEC writer demonstrated his own faux outrage, to be fair.