View Full Version : How many hours constitute full time employment in Oklahoma?

narrowexpanded
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I dont know where to ask this question, and since it is in regards to UCO telling my wife she must pay out of state tuition, ill ask it here...i was born and raised in OKC, joined the military, met my wife in the military, we married in VA, when we got out we moved back here, she went to Rose State for 2 years paying in state tuition, now upon transferring to UCO she is having to jump thru hoops to prove she deserves in state tuition...furthermore, once we provide the documentation requested to prove in state tuition is appropriate, they say they are still gonna sit on the extra $2500 she paid as a non resident until the end of the semester(!!!!) this seems outrageous to me, but we are meeting with the admissions officer tomorrow to see what can be done about it...but my question is, how many hours of employment constitute full time in oklahoma...she was a teachers aid last year and the principal wrote her a letter stating she worked "approximately 30 hours per week" but im not sure if that is considered full time here, as based on a google search it appears to be different in same states but i cant find any info on oklahomas policy. any help?

PennyQuilts
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Huh. I wouldn't think working would be the end all on residency/domicile. Where does she vote? When did she register? Driver's license here? Lease/mortgage here? Utility payments here? Where did she pay her taxes?

Heyuri
08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I cannot imagine it would be a problem regardless of how many hours she worked. The school just needs to make sure she didn't move to Oklahoma to go to school. This prevents every student from saying 'look I live in Oklahoma, count me as in state!'

narrowexpanded
08-06-2009, 01:14 PM
its not the end all be all, there are other factors which we dont have a problem proving or providing documents for...its just a weird system when an in-state school can classify you one way and then you get reclassified another 2 years later...basically we have to prove she didnt come here JUST to go to school, that she intends to stay and work here after graduation, full time employment, and lease/mortgage...we got all that, but the 30 hours/week worries me cuz i dont know what the state considers full time. however i am still confident she will ultimately get in-state tuition...then we just have to figure out how the school can justify sitting on our money for 4-6 months!

PennyQuilts
08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
yeah, but...but... she's married! Doesn't that suggest she lives there with her husband who clearly lives here? Plenty of wives stay home and don't work at all. It would be odd if she DIDN'T live with you.

narrowexpanded
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
well, its a weird story with some twists and turns, but the important thing is that we are in line with the policy as best i can see it, however the 30 hrs per week thing is what concerned me a bit, i like to be prepared before going into this meeting tomorrow so i thought id ask just in case i have to defend it.

i guess during the admission process someone noted that she had only lived here 2 years and had gone to school since arriving...but its weird that one school would classify her and then 2 years later UCO would attempt to reclassify her. again, the big battle will be over their attempt to hold onto our money for an unreasonable amount of time.

dalelakin
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
i guess during the admission process someone noted that she had only lived here 2 years and had gone to school since arriving...but its weird that one school would classify her and then 2 years later UCO would attempt to reclassify her.

THAT"S RACIST!!

:LolLolLol

narrowexpanded
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
THAT"S RACIST!!

:LolLolLol

indeed, but i got it straightened out today, although it took ME going up there and getting involved, for the moment it appears as if we have resolved the situation. but i still dont know what the state considers full time employment.

okyeah
08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
always thought 40 hours a week was fulltime

PennyQuilts
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
indeed, but i got it straightened out today, although it took ME going up there and getting involved, for the moment it appears as if we have resolved the situation. but i still dont know what the state considers full time employment.

Terrific!