View Full Version : Local media reporting suicide attempt?

Pete
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I saw this article at newsok.com and found it very odd:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-firefighter-saves-man-from-bridge-jump/article/3390799

I thought it was a general journalistic policy to not report attempted and actual suicides? In fact, I saw a TV report on KFOR about Hefner Parkway being closed due to an "incident".

Obviously, if the media pays attention to these situations it fuels the fire... Most are just looking for attention which is the last thing they should be given by the press over something like this. Or worse, they actually go through with it and again, that just encourages others who want to go out while calling as much attention to themselves as possible.

Maybe I've been away from Oklahoma too long but has the local media always reported on such cases?

Out here, if someone died there would be a very small blurb in the middle of the paper somewhere, and usually not even the next day.

And if the person just ended up being talked down, that wouldn't draw any report whatsoever.

Pete
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I found this interesting.

Certainly not in favor of some sort of code/law but I personally think it's irresponsible to give attention to these cases and not sure why the Oklahoman chose to do so.

Many countries do not have national codes but do have in-house guidelines along similar lines. In the U.S. there are no industry wide standards and a survey of inhouse guides of 16 US daily newspapers showed that only three mentioned the word suicide and none gave guidelines about publishing the method of suicide. Craig Branson, online director of the American Society of News Editors (ASNE), has been quoted as saying, "Industry codes are very generic and totally voluntary. Most ethical decisions are left to individual editors at individual papers. The industry would fight any attempt to create more specific rules or standards, and editors would no doubt ignore them."

hagrid
08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Good point about fueling the fire. But I have seen suicidal people on the news in other cities. Unfortunately, it sells.

Personally, I get tired of the use of threats of suicide as a means to get help. I see it often and unfortunately the medical personnel have to treat each one as a serious attempt.

I wonder how many people would have driven by and yelled, "JUMP!"

MsDarkstar
08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I saw that article, it had video with it that showed the guy sitting on the bridge talking on his cell phone. While I was on my way to work (Lake Hefner Pkwy) it was all backed up. Jack & Ron/Kiss FM talked about there being a jumper out on the parkway, and Joey & Heather from Wild talked about it alot...Dr. Mindy is on their show every Weds and she was late because traffic was backed up & blocking her way to the station. I was really surprised to see clear video of him on the news though.

Pete
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Studies have show the effect of 'copycat suicide', where knowledge of one leads others to do the same thing.

To show how things are handled differently here in L.A., a few years ago I was working downtown and noticed a commotion on an adjacent rooftop; about 25 floors up.

A man was standing on a ledge and emergency personnel were trying to approach him. People in my office were gathered around but I refused to watch, as either this guy was just an attention whore (something others should not encourage) or he was really going to jump. Either way, I didn't want to see.

The ordeal went on for about an hour when I heard a big group of people in the office starting to talk excitedly... I walked over to see an emergency worker creeping up on the man as his head was turned to talk to someone else. Evidently, they thought he was on the verge of jumping and were trying to snatch him away.

Just as the sneaker grew close, the man saw him and stepped off, taking a long tumble to the street very far below. It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen and I'm still mad at myself for watching it.

Nothing was ever in the paper but a death announcement a few days later. As much as I wanted to know the details I understood why they were not shared. And there was absolutely no coverage of this by local TV, either.

nighttrain12
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Let's not forget one of the most famous news coverages of a threatened suicide attempt. OJ in the back of the white Ford Bronco while his buddy Al Cowlings drove him slowly on the freeway. Too bad he didn't follow through on it. I'm kidding! LOL Life in prison without parole was how I hoped that one turned out.

Karried
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
What a horrible thing to witness. So sad...

Unfortunately, these people usually are so despondent and depressed, (if they do survive), it doesn't seem right to prosecute them for 'disturbing the peace' anything similar. They need help and I guess it doesn't help to try to dissuade future jumpers by trying to make an example.. ie jail time or community service.

But, this guy sitting on the bridge talking on his cell phone and tying up traffic for hours... ugh.. it's tempting.

BailJumper
08-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Actually, I found the NewsOK article to be mostly about the first responders.

How can the media ignore an event that backs up so much traffic and is in such a public place. I personally would find it strange if it wasn't mentioned.

As for copy cats. Give me a break. Suicidal nut jobs are just that. Next you'll tell me it was Marilyn Manson's fault.

nighttrain12
08-07-2009, 08:29 PM
As for copy cats. Give me a break. Suicidal nut jobs are just that. Next you'll tell me it was Marilyn Manson's fault.

Or someone being mean to a teenager on the internet.

gmwise
08-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm concern about newscasts and the "newspaper" will have his name and information.
Theres laws of privacy, and health information, ie HIPPA, that is to be followed I'm glad the police so far hadnt release it.
Its not like he committed a crime and if he gets the help he needs, he's pretty well branded from holding down a job or continued with his career.
As for copy cats and other nutjobs,I can see why some will use this as a catalyst to do what they want, but its entirely they're decision if they want attention or help.

BBatesokc
08-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Actually, it isn't so much the police didn't release the name, its more a policy that most media outlets do not publish the name of people who attempt to commit suicide. Similar to victims of sexual assault, etc. I've seen the police report and the man's name had not been redacted.

Also, should the police/city/county desire, the man did break a few city and possibly county laws.

You'd actually be shocked at the number of unreported suicides, even some that were done very publicly.

While the lovers who committed suicide off the Santa Fe Parking Garage was reported, several other building jumpers in downtown OKC have not been reported at all.

In one month two people jumped off the building West of the Greyhound bus station.

Personally I think its okay to report suicides that are done in such a public way they created a disturbance and by their own actions there is now a public interest in why traffic was backed up for 2-hours or why a part of downtown was blocked off, etc.

jbrown84
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I think it was news because BOTH DIRECTIONS of Hefner Parkway were shut down for an hour because of it.

Had it just been a man threatening to jump from any other 25-foot height, I doubt we would have heard anything about it.

kevinpate
08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Seems to be an increase in this sort of thing, or else it is just simply getting more air and print time. hopefully, such incidents will start falling off again soon enough.

fire121
08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Most all of the out in the public type suicides are dispatched over the phone. Seems like they are almost always seeking attention. The ones that are serious about it usually accomplish the intended outcome without notifying anyone beforehand. Always exceptions though. We go on way too many suicide calls.

gmwise
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Actually, it isn't so much the police didn't release the name, its more a policy that most media outlets do not publish the name of people who attempt to commit suicide. Similar to victims of sexual assault, etc. I've seen the police report and the man's name had not been redacted.

Also, should the police/city/county desire, the man did break a few city and possibly county laws.

You'd actually be shocked at the number of unreported suicides, even some that were done very publicly.

While the lovers who committed suicide off the Santa Fe Parking Garage was reported, several other building jumpers in downtown OKC have not been reported at all.

In one month two people jumped off the building West of the Greyhound bus station.

Personally I think its okay to report suicides that are done in such a public way they created a disturbance and by their own actions there is now a public interest in why traffic was backed up for 2-hours or why a part of downtown was blocked off, etc.

thanks BB for clearing up my 1st take on the info