View Full Version : What's the deal with 'mission trips'?

Pages : [1] 2

Dave Cook
08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture.

What's the deal with so many Oklahomans going on church sponsored 'mission trips' around the world?

I do quite a bit of overseas travel esp. to poorer parts of the world and it seems every single time I come across an Okie, they are always there to 'spread the world of God' or serving in some capacity on a Christian based mission.

Does anyone else find this a bit odd?

I noticed the blog on newsok about the trip to Guatemala and it reminded me of other trips friends have gone on this summer to places like South Africa, Philippines and Mexico to witness to people in that area.

Why do people feel the need to do this?

PennyQuilts
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
A friend of mine is a doctor and she goes every year. She gets a lot of out of it - makes her feels like she can do some good to help people who are genuinely in need. It is church based as part of their religious mission. I never stopped to question why someone would want to do something good for the less fortunate. Seems obvious, to me, but maybe I am just not thinking about it enough.

ddavidson8
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I totally think it's gay to go on a trip with the expressed purpose of helping people. God, how selfish.

Dave Cook
08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Volunteer work is not what I'm asking about. That's a no brainer.

My question is, how much of this work is spent 'witnessing' and spreading their faith? Is it 100% volunteer work (that I can see) or 70% work and 30% talking about Jesus?

It intrigues me because Oklahoma has one of the lowest Peace Corp recruitment figures as compared to, say, Vermont which produces considerably more volunteers abroad. Could this be due to church mission figures or what????

PennyQuilts
08-06-2009, 03:56 AM

My question is, how much of this work is spent 'witnessing' and spreading their faith? Is it 100% volunteer work (that I can see) or 70% work and 30% talking about Jesus?

It intrigues me because Oklahoma has one of the lowest Peace Corp recruitment figures as compared to, say, Vermont which produces considerably more volunteers abroad. Could this be due to church mission figures or what????

Could be. This is the bible belt and that would be where do gooders would want to go. Why join a government organization when they can participate in similar acts with groups whose mission is similar to their own? Just two ways to deliver good acts. I should think this would be encouraged, not critiqued as strange. Not everyone needs a government program and paycheck to give back.

Here in fat amerika, we are used to spitting on Jesus. He is SOOOOOOO backwoods, afterall. Other parts of the world aren't so smug or so picky. I expect there are very few of the truly needy who are questioning the motivation and most of them are grateful for the help and interested in what would inspire people to go to the trouble. Besides, plenty of places that are the recipients of Christian missions are christians, themselves. I know that a lot of missions that go to South America/Central America have Catholic populations.

I don't mean to be snotty. I suspect that is because in Oklahoma, it is hip to trash/question Christianity. It is such a religious part of the country that the young people attack it as part of the establishment. The left substitutes its ideology for religion so it is pretty much a wash, I suppose. I'm happy when anyone volunteers to help others.

gmwise
08-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:36

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? James 2:16

Some do things in the name of Christ, some do it for the community, so dont even think about doing anything and then finally some do it,because of vanity.

metro
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Could be. This is the bible belt and that would be where do gooders would want to go. Why join a government organization when they can participate in similar acts with groups whose mission is similar to their own? Just two ways to deliver good acts. I should think this would be encouraged, not critiqued as strange. Not everyone needs a government program and paycheck to give back.

Here in fat amerika, we are used to spitting on Jesus. He is SOOOOOOO backwoods, afterall. Other parts of the world aren't so smug or so picky. I expect there are very few of the truly needy who are questioning the motivation and most of them are grateful for the help and interested in what would inspire people to go to the trouble. Besides, plenty of places that are the recipients of Christian missions are christians, themselves. I know that a lot of missions that go to South America/Central America have Catholic populations.

I don't mean to be snotty. I suspect that is because in Oklahoma, it is hip to trash/question Christianity. It is such a religious part of the country that the young people attack it as part of the establishment. The left substitutes its ideology for religion so it is pretty much a wash, I suppose. I'm happy when anyone volunteers to help others.

Exactly. It's the "cool thing" to "rebel" when in fact is it really "rebelling against the establishment" when there are more "rebelling" than not? I'd argue that it's more rebellious to live the faith, to read your Bible daily, to pray, to serve others, because FAR less people are doing that than attacking Christianity. Jesus was a true rebel, totally countercultural for his time, he choose to be broke and homeless and "rebelled against the establishment" of his time (pharisees).

Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture. Why do people feel the need to do this?

Having been on several, I imagine it has something to do what gmwise mentioned. THE GREAT COMMISSION: Matthew 28:16-20 (Contemporary English Version)

What Jesus' Followers Must Do
(Mark 16.14-18; Luke 24.36-49; John 20.19-23; Acts 1.6-8)
16Jesus' eleven disciples went to a mountain in Galilee, where Jesus had told them to meet him. 17They saw him and worshiped him, but some of them doubted.
18Jesus came to them and said:

I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth! 19Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, 20and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:36

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? James 2:16

Some do things in the name of Christ, some do it for the community, so dont even think about doing anything and then finally some do it,because of vanity.

Well said gmwise. :congrats:

OKCitizen
08-10-2009, 06:56 AM
James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Hawk405359
09-13-2009, 10:08 PM

It really depends on the purpose of a trip, there's not any actual template for how they work. On a service trip like in the blog, a group might spend all day doing work. I've known people who have gone to help build in places, they got up in the morning, went and worked on a building, and were exhausted at the end of the day. The service is the main aspect.

But I've also known people who have gone on trips that was all about talking to people about Christianity.

Just like Peace Corps, there isn't really a single type or goal across the board. It varies.

Caboose
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Okay...while it's going to seem like I'm attacking volunteer work, I'm actually not. I just find this an intriguing aspect of Oklahoma culture.

What's the deal with so many Oklahomans going on church sponsored 'mission trips' around the world?

I do quite a bit of overseas travel esp. to poorer parts of the world and it seems every single time I come across an Okie, they are always there to 'spread the world of God' or serving in some capacity on a Christian based mission.

Does anyone else find this a bit odd?

I noticed the blog on newsok about the trip to Guatemala and it reminded me of other trips friends have gone on this summer to places like South Africa, Philippines and Mexico to witness to people in that area.

Why do people feel the need to do this?

It is the height of arrogance.

kevinpate
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I've known youth and adults who have traveled in His name, sometimes to build, sometimes to teach, sometimes to heal, sometimes to minister and comfort, sometimes a combination of two or all of the above.

Some only went because a friend went, some went to escape their home life for a spell, some got in trouble by acting out on their trips, and some, most from what I can ascertain, came back very different after faithfully giving of their time, talent or treasure to others far less fortunate.

Like anything, different folks take away different experiences from what they do, and have differing reasons for doing it.

DaveSkater
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
And there are some moderately religious folks out there who genuinely enjoy the feeling of helping others who need it.

The human spirit has a prewired, predisposed instinct to help and nurture. To do so thru a church will save money, because they typically get great travel rates and accomodations (meager as they may be), and they are actually accomplishing something while getting to see the world.

Some will take the opporunity to add to the flock, but many do it just to be helpful.

gmwise
09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
The human spirit has a prewired, predisposed instinct to help and nurture.

uh no.. man (human kind)... is in no way prewired or even predisposed, only way they mimicked :sharing ,helpfulness or ,nurturing is seeing it by adults, other children ,"a learned social behavior"
Thats why parents and adults should do whats right, and behave civilly.
"Train a child up and all these days of his life he will not depart" paraphase..
Training is by example, and instruction, they see how a adult/parent behaves, what an adult says, how they walk with others...

fuzzytoad
09-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Last time I was in Subic Bay, PI, the biggest brothel that catered to people looking for underage prostitutes was funded by a "Missionary" group out of Oklahoma working under the Preda Foundation...

This was in 1992-1994..

I have very little faith in the works of *any* religious "missionary" trips funded by organized religion churches..

metro
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah fuzzy, mission trips are really secret spring break trips to fund brothels and other disgusting practices. Get real.

HVAC Instructor
09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah fuzzy, mission trips are really secret spring break trips to fund brothels and other disgusting practices. Get real.

Fuzzy speaks the truth. I saw the same in Subic Bay, Manilla and Angeles City.

kevinpate
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
hmmm, distrust all mission work because of one bad example. Seems somewhat akin to assuming all republicans will shoot their friends.

Yes, some people do horrid things, even people hiding under a cloak of religion. It doesn't mean all people reaching out to others do horrid things.

To each their own opinion, but I hope yours doesn't ever prevail with most.

HVAC Instructor
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
hmmm, distrust all mission work because of one bad example. .

Who said that? How about using the "quote" function so we'll know exactly who you are referring to.

gmwise
09-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Who said that? How about using the "quote" function so we'll know exactly who you are referring to.

I think kevin was referring to fuzzytoads comment

kevinpate
09-18-2009, 08:48 PM
indeed.

HVAC Instructor
09-18-2009, 09:01 PM
indeed.

Gotcha. I can understand fuzzy's position though, at least to some extent. Certainly most folks who do these missions must be sincere, but I imagine there are many simply doing it to get a free/cheap vacation. One of my students told me about a mission trip to Costa Rica with his church. The guy was a total party animal, and admitted his intent to slip away and "sample" the native girls.

I do recall thinking back in my church days wondering why so much church money was spent overseas when there were more "lost" souls than could ever possibly be "found" right in our own community...

kevinpate
09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
As noted earlier via my response at spot #11.
The shortcomings within our species exist. Can't alter that.

What I do know is I've met both mission vacationers and folks forever changed via their mission work, whether in city, in state, in country or out of country.

Fortunately, at least in my opinion, I've met far more of the latter.

metro
09-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Sounds like fuzzy and HVAC would be referred to pharisee's in biblical terms

HVAC Instructor
09-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds like fuzzy and HVAC would be referred to pharisee's in biblical terms

Why? Saying what was personally witnessed merits an off-handed insult?

Nobody said ALL people on mission trips do this, but I did point out that there are more lost souls right here in OKC than any church could ever "save", yet they spend money on airline tickets for overseas trips. I can understand mission trips to our gulf coast after a hurricane, but these exotic locations known for legal prostitution does cause reasonable people to ask why.

Hawk405359
09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Last time I was in Subic Bay, PI, the biggest brothel that catered to people looking for underage prostitutes was funded by a "Missionary" group out of Oklahoma working under the Preda Foundation...

This was in 1992-1994..

I have very little faith in the works of *any* religious "missionary" trips funded by organized religion churches..

By that logic, should we consider all military personnel frauds because of the marine who falsely claimed to be a wounded vet for his own gain (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view/20090921marine_charged_with_faking_war_wounds_for_ gain/srvc=home&position=recent)?

metro
09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't hear you praising the majority of missions that are doing legitimate work, but rather pointing out the few that are scum. How about A21?

The A21 Campaign (http://www.thea21campaign.org/)

MikeOKC
09-26-2009, 08:47 PM
What if Japan decided that we needed to find "the truth" and the Buddhists decided to descend on America with the "good news" of The Buddha?

What if Muslims decided that evangelism is the way to seek people to their faith and descended on America, knocking on doors and trying to convert Christians?

But they don't do this.

Only Christianity and all its bizarre offshoots feel the need for all the world to think like they do, and they'll do many things in the name of "good works" and "charity" and "mission work" in order to spread the news about the revolution, you know, just like Mao and Che did. :-)

PennyQuilts
09-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Only Christianity and all its bizarre offshoots feel the need for all the world to think like they do, and they'll do many things in the name of "good works" and "charity" and "mission work" in order to spread the news about the revolution, you know, just like Mao and Che did. :-)

There is a bit of a difference in spreading the good word through food and kindness vs. at the point of a gun.

And perhaps if you lived in an area with many muslims, you might reconsider whether they are an evangelical religion. I work with them on a regular basis and they also attempt to evangelize if they aren't plotting your death. That last was sort of a joke. Well, it struck ME as funny, anyway!

nik4411
09-27-2009, 08:51 AM
My parents live in Nigeria, due to my dad's job (oil business) and when people find out or it comes up in conversation a lot of folks ask if they are missionaries. its funny how often that happens. that is their first thought usually.

kevinpate
09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Doesn't surprise me nik4411. There is a lot of activity in the field of missions between the USA and Nigeria, particularly outside of the cities.

Hawk405359
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
What if Japan decided that we needed to find "the truth" and the Buddhists decided to descend on America with the "good news" of The Buddha?

What if Muslims decided that evangelism is the way to seek people to their faith and descended on America, knocking on doors and trying to convert Christians?

But they don't do this.

They don't? You should have told that to the monks who made annual trips when I was at school.

metro
09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
My dad's over in South America building churches for a couple weeks. What a horrible man to go over there with a fractured ankle and a knee that is getting replaced when he gets back, in order to share the gospel and the love of Christ. What a horrible legacy to leave his son....... Not!

Caboose
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
My dad's over in South America building churches for a couple weeks. What a horrible man to go over there with a fractured ankle and a knee that is getting replaced when he gets back, in order to share the gospel and the love of Christ. What a horrible legacy to leave his son....... Not!

The people in South America would be much better served by your father building homes or shelters for them. What a waste of time, money, and effort to go all the way down there and build them a church instead of something they can actually make meaningful use of. It is the height of arrogance to think that you know what is best for these people's souls or spirits or that you know more about god than they do when they have obviously been getting along fine for thousands of years without your superstitions.

kevinpate
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Perhaps Caboose, the 'height of arrogance' is to presume you know better, than those who received the efforts of othersm what is best for them.

Now, sure, maybe some folks showed up in South America and stuffed a new but unwanted and unnecessary church facility down the unwilling throat of a community.

If I were in a betting mood, I'd probably bet it the other way 9 times out of 10.

metro
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Caboose, seems like you have all the answers, maybe you should run for an Obama cabinet position. Just curious, when is the last time you went to another country to build these shelters or homes for the poor and needy you speak of?

bluedogok
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
A "church" in most of those communities become the community center and are built much that way. Many times they become the holding facility for materials for house or clinic buildings to follow. I have friends who go on them and most of the time they have built housing.

metro
09-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Exactly bluedog, and Caboose, furthermore they are building a medical clinic on the church property as well while they are over there. I'm sure you're an experienced "non religious" traveler who builds homes, shelters and clinics for the needy, but as bluedog pointed out, in such poor countries (and even in U.S. in many cases), the local church is the place for people to get medical help, food, clothing, etc. Your lack of faith shouldn't get in the way of others who are doing good deeds.

gmwise
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
By that logic, should we consider all military personnel frauds because of the marine who falsely claimed to be a wounded vet for his own gain (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view/20090921marine_charged_with_faking_war_wounds_for_ gain/srvc=home&position=recent)?

Hey Hawk,
I am sicken by events like that.
I know of one Marine who would prey on fellow Marines wives when they're deployed.
I told him if he did it to one of my guys, I make sure he ends up on the cover of ...well I dont wished to offend...rofl

Caboose
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Exactly bluedog, and Caboose, furthermore they are building a medical clinic on the church property as well while they are over there. I'm sure you're an experienced "non religious" traveler who builds homes, shelters and clinics for the needy, but as bluedog pointed out, in such poor countries (and even in U.S. in many cases), the local church is the place for people to get medical help, food, clothing, etc. Your lack of faith shouldn't get in the way of others who are doing good deeds.

Oh ok, so your father is building a medical clinic and food/clothing distribution center. That is much more beneficial to the locals than a church and some ghost stories. Agreed?

What you are now claiming your father is doing is far different than "building churches and sharing the gospel" which is what I responded to. It sounds like at least you are acknowledging that "building churches and sharing the gospel" isn't quite as helpful as "building a medical clinic and a food/clothing distribution center" otherwise you wouldnt have felt the need to qualify.

metro
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope.

Caboose
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Nope.

Ok, so then you are saying "building churches and preachin" = "building medical clinic and food/clothing distribution centers" in terms of helpfulness? Are they equivalent?

you know because one just sounds like someone else presuming their superstitions are superior to mine... and the other sounds like a place I could go to get medical care for my sick child and food for my starving family. One sounds helpful, while the other... well... not helpful in any meaningful way.

PennyQuilts
09-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Many of the people I know who do mission trips (doctors, for example) do so as an extension of their religious faith. I doubt they'd do it, otherwise.

gmwise
09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Many of the people I know who do mission trips (doctors, for example) do so as an extension of their religious faith. I doubt they'd do it, otherwise.

Doctors without Borders.

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/aboutus/?ref=main-menu

Hawk405359
09-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Ok, so then you are saying "building churches and preachin" = "building medical clinic and food/clothing distribution centers" in terms of helpfulness? Are they equivalent?

you know because one just sounds like someone else presuming their superstitions are superior to mine... and the other sounds like a place I could go to get medical care for my sick child and food for my starving family. One sounds helpful, while the other... well... not helpful in any meaningful way.

One thing that's particularly interesting about churches in the US is how often they tend to be more single-use structures, meaning that often they're used for events put on by the church. In a lot of developing countries, the church is more or less the town center, it's a more utilitarian structure used for far more than religious purposes, like hosting medical clinics, being a community meeting center, or being a common distribution point for supplies.

In many ways, we tend to waste that space a lot more because we have more dedicated clinics and charity centers. But in a lot of rural areas "Building a church" doesn't mean "building a building that will only be used to profess X branch of Christianity," it means building a building that will be a base for medical clinics, a base to hand out clothing, toys, food, etc to the community, and just a common place to go for rural societies. It's much more multi-use than we tend to treat churches here.

gmwise
10-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Remember when its not the facade it was the Spirit within?
The early Christians met in homes

kevinpate
10-01-2009, 04:10 AM
> The early Christians met in homes

Many still do, here and elsewhere.

PennyQuilts
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Doctors without Borders.

About Us - History and Principles | Doctors Without Borders (http://doctorswithoutborders.org/aboutus/?ref=main-menu)

One particular doctor I know does it through that organization but she isn't any different than the others - she considers it part of her christian faith and that is her real motivation.

metro
10-01-2009, 09:48 AM

So are you just now figuring out religion? Yes Christianity thinks it's superior to other religions, yes Islam thinks it's superior, etc. Doesn't mean we can't be respectful of each other and treat each other like family, but most religions believe their way is the only way. For someone who doesn't believe, you sure do spend a lot of other time arguing with those that do. Why waste your time if you think we're wasting ours? Double standard?

metro
10-01-2009, 09:52 AM
One thing that's particularly interesting about churches in the US is how often they tend to be more single-use structures, meaning that often they're used for events put on by the church. In a lot of developing countries, the church is more or less the town center, it's a more utilitarian structure used for far more than religious purposes, like hosting medical clinics, being a community meeting center, or being a common distribution point for supplies.

In many ways, we tend to waste that space a lot more because we have more dedicated clinics and charity centers. But in a lot of rural areas "Building a church" doesn't mean "building a building that will only be used to profess X branch of Christianity," it means building a building that will be a base for medical clinics, a base to hand out clothing, toys, food, etc to the community, and just a common place to go for rural societies. It's much more multi-use than we tend to treat churches here.

yes yes, we wouldn't want to confuse those with U.S. churches who are used for community meetings, town halls, voting for public elections, community outreach (giving away food and school supplies, christmas gifts, meals at holidays, etc. to local communities), health clinics, a place to come to for help or prayer, counseling, concerts, youth events, etc.

metro
10-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Remember when its not the facade it was the Spirit within?
The early Christians met in homes

yep, we have house church in my house at twice a month, and I go to another one during the week, and yes, GASP, I go to lifechurch.tv and we encourage housechurches or "small groups". We have over 1300 house churches in the metroplex last count I heard. Shhh, we even have people attend that go to other churches.

Caboose
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
So are you just now figuring out religion? Yes Christianity thinks it's superior to other religions, yes Islam thinks it's superior, etc. Doesn't mean we can't be respectful of each other and treat each other like family, but most religions believe their way is the only way. For someone who doesn't believe, you sure do spend a lot of other time arguing with those that do. Why waste your time if you think we're wasting ours? Double standard?

Just now? So we are in agreement then. Churches and preachin = useless. Medical clinics and food/clothing distribution centers = useful. Or are you still trying to pretend they are the same thing or equivalent? Odd how the only defenses you have been able to muster are for the medical clinics and food centers, not for the churches and preaching.

PennyQuilts
10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Just now? So we are in agreement then. Churches and preachin = useless.

Disagree whole heartedly. It isn't for me, but it really is important and useful to many.

JohnDenver
10-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I lean more towards Caboose's side, though I won't say religion is worthless. It works for a lot of people, who am I to say that wearing a certain necklace and pitching a no-hitter weren't related.

I get offended when religions go on "saving" missions to tribes that are doing well without the Christian God. They have their own Gods. They don't want or need our whitey God.

PennyQuilts
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm wondering if the religious catholic hispanics of the world consider their god to be whitey. Seems like such a shame to reduce it to such coarse terms. There are lots of ways to spread bigotry, isn't there?

gmwise
10-01-2009, 03:19 PM
God is bigger then race or religion.

JohnDenver
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm wondering if the religious catholic hispanics of the world consider their god to be whitey. Seems like such a shame to reduce it to such coarse terms. There are lots of ways to spread bigotry, isn't there?

Aha. Sure is a lot of ways.. like mission trips.

Our ethnocentric world views, blasted on others. Tell them their prayers to their shaman doesn't work, build a church, cloth the women and tell them to have sex in missionary position. Then leave. And pat yourself on the back.

Way to pick out a single word of my post and try to dismiss it all. Way to be defensive. If you can't see that I respect your God.. and I respect others as well. I just don't follow them.

PennyQuilts
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Way to pick out a single word of my post and try to dismiss it all. Way to be defensive. If you can't see that I respect your God.. and I respect others as well. I just don't follow them.

"Whitey" is an emotion packed word and that is why you chose it. Substitute it for the N word and then come back and tell me that I am simply focusing on a single word as if it was taken out of context. Your comments about the missionary position and other derogatory comments about christianity (and just so you know, I'm not christian) is just so much tripe. In my entire life, I have read that comment about the missionary position and never once have I ever run across anyone who actually advised anyone to use the missionary position as part of their faith. Have you? Honestly? Or are you just spreading religious intolerance because you don't like religion? Fine and dandy if you want to use honest arguments - but how about not just repeating hateful stuff because it is easy?

JohnDenver
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
"Whitey" is an emotion packed word and that is why you chose it. Substitute it for the N word and then come back and tell me that I am simply focusing on a single word as if it was taken out of context. Your comments about the missionary position and other derogatory comments about christianity (and just so you know, I'm not christian) is just so much tripe. In my entire life, I have read that comment about the missionary position and never once have I ever run across anyone who actually advised anyone to use the missionary position as part of their faith. Have you? Honestly? Or are you just spreading religious intolerance because you don't like religion? Fine and dandy if you want to use honest arguments - but how about not just repeating hateful stuff because it is easy?

Oh my. Look up the history of the "Missionary Position", please. Do. Then come back and tell me how it got its name. You are kidding yourself if you don't think true missionaries, don't find some sexual practices of "lost" tribes to be sinful and try to wrangle it in... just a tad? No? Take some anthropology courses, then report back to me. Should we change the name to "face to face" sex instead?

Tripe? .. I don't really like it. I can pick words out of your post too. Can I ignore the rest?

If I were talking about Rastafarian mission to Texas, I may call it their "Brown God." Being that they believe the Emperor of Ethiopia is the encarnation of Christ --Yes, I just may call that a "brown" incarnation. You give too much power to the "whitey" word. Oh my, you didn't capitalize the word Christian. How hateful of you. Since the word offends you, I will not call Jesus "white." Got it.

You have taken this thread way off base, focusing on a couple words.

In no way was I disrespectful to religion. I didn't call Christianity a superstition. I didn't call them ghost stories. I called it (effectively) and Anglo religion, but thanks to missionaries, it really isn't so Anglo anymore.

I said, and will repeat it again, that it offends me that people go on missions in the name of their respective religions, and effectively, trample on ancient cultures.

Eskimos, the Bible says you can't have polygamy. Forget the facts and reasons your culture has multiple husbands per wife.
Central American Indians, you can't have men married to one another. The Bible says you can't do that.
If continue to sin in the eyes of God, you will go to hell. Do you want to go to hell? No? Ok, stop.

That is what offends me.

You want to build a well here and there in already poor parts of the Christian world? Awesome. That is a great mission.

But you want to build a church in the Rain forests, so you can save some "lost" civilization? That is offensive.

PennyQuilts
10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
So, you read about the missionary position. My question remains - since you seem eager to insist that since it got that name it MUST be alive and well and eager in order to spread hateful stereotypes is still - ever heard anyone actually espouse that? EVER? You read it and historically that is how it got its name. Gotcha. So it must still be true and you don't hesitate to spread something like that because it serves your purpose.

And as for your typical early twenties mindset that taking a few college courses would make it all clear - trust me - I have advanced degrees and am all edjukated up.

Be honest. It was a cheap shot so you used it. And now, you won't back off and admit it.

You sound lost in the past when it suits your purpose and flat out intolerant. Get off your politically correct high horse because you are at least as guilty of spreading your own message at the cost of the truth.

JohnDenver
10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Be honest. It was a cheap shot so you used it. And now, you won't back off and admit it.

Right on Buddy. You just keep on trying talking down to people -- it is a common theme in your responses. I won't back down, you won't back down. I am "in my early twenties" (I am not), and you are all educated as holy hell (you are). As am I.

Whitey is not a cheap shot. It is slang. I was keeping it on the simple level. If you want me to use words like "tripe", I can and shall. I find it tedious though.

No, I have never been on a mission, and I have never head someone espousing "Missonary position." I do know the origins of the word, and I will use it historically as I see fit. Yes, missionary sex is way preferred over anal sex. That is espoused every day. Just saying.

This thread was asking our opinions. Mine are stated. You hate my use of a word. Really, It is all good.. You want to follow any other tangents?

East Coast Okie is very educated and hates the following words: Missionary Sex and Whitey. To be continued.